Fishing memories

Discussion in 'Boating Stories' started by catfishrus, Jun 24, 2006.

1. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i thought i would share a fishing story with yal. well i got hooked on catfishing a few years before my dad did and we always fish together at santee. well the method i learned at santee was drifting. so i go get me four rod and reels to catfish with. so one day my dad ask if i want to go to santee and i said yes. so im thinking catfishing and hes thinking bass. he like to drift for bass at santee with rubber worms and i thought well he drift for them and i will drift for catfish. so i get my stuff together and head to his house. i get there he said did you bring me a catfishing rod? i laughed and said i thought you was bass fishing. so i had to give him a hard time about him not having the right poles but i let him use two of mine after alot of picking back and forth. well get to santee and start fishing in the lower lake. he didnt have any rod holder so we are fishing under a little preasure. we made a long drift and had caught few catfish when i notice im getting a hit on one of rods and they it loads up and i set the hook. at the same time a hear my dad go in the water and all i see is this white rod going thru the water and dad it right behind it. he comes up and im thinking he must have a big one. he comes swimming back to the boat and i ve got this fish on but i offer to get the rod so he can get back in the boat. well he gets back in thinking hes got a fish on the his rod which was really my rod he was using. i wind my fish in to only see his line is tangled up in mine. well come to find out i was the one with the fish and his didnt have anything on it. so all i can figure is the fish hit mine when the two lines where just about to get hug on a stump and when i set the hook, well it jerked his in. so we get started getting everything back in order after i told him there was no way in haydees i would have jumped in for his rod...lol. he gets to looking for his nice bass rod and it was gone. dont know if he jumped in with it or dropped it in the process but its still gone to this day. i told him he done the right thing thou....lol.

2. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    Great story Michael! Thanks for sharing.
    Those events are what memories are made of.:smile2:

3. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    yes my dad is my best friend even when hes mad at me or im mad at him. i ve saved him a few times on the water from falling in. i had one time he was standing on his hands in a grass bed tring to get his lure back from the grass with both sticking striaght up in the air. all i could see was bubbles coming up from him laughing under the water.

4. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    You guys can't imagine how important those memories are. I took my dad fishing over to my friends private lake one evening. We fished until it got dark and I had caught 4-5 nice channel cats and dad had caught zip. He did not want to quit so I built a fire and we fished on. About an hour later dad caught a 3-4lb. channel and it started to rain. I gathered up all the gear and headed for the truck. I said are you coming? Yah, just a minute, I've got a bite he said. I took my stuff on to the truck, started it up and turned on the heater on..I knew he'd be frozen. He didn't come and he didn't come, so after about 10 minutes I walked back down to the lake. There he sat under Keith's 14ft. john boat turned upside down with the oars propping the boat up so he'd be out of the rain. I'd love to take him fishing just one more time.
    Don

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Both of these stories are good but catfisherman come up with the darndest things to "get by with". Catfisherman are creative.

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Great story brother, thanks for sharing.

7. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    getting alure out of grass bed. hey man my grandfather was same way, he didnt care if it was 30 ft of water. that old man would swim down, and would not come back up till he got it. heck i rember one time we were at rush run lake here in ohio. we were bass fishing and he got a plug hung up under water. he jumps and comes back to surface and says hand me that hack saw, lol i start laughing and said your kidding me. he said hell far bryan im not kidding toss it to me and jump in a help me. i swear to you guy we cut off about a 5 foot branch and about 4-1/2 inches in diameter. but hey he got his lure back...