Fishing Meldal Dam

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by CAT ADDICT, Jun 2, 2006.

1. CAT ADDICT

CAT ADDICT New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Anyone fish Meldal Dam. Looks like it would be good???

2. liveforcattin08

liveforcattin08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    lots of big cats!

3. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    What Live for cattin forgot to mention is that if your going, better bring a 3/4 ton pickup so you can bring enough extra tackle and a spare spool or 3 of extra fishing line, fishing the bottom ( from the shore side anyways) is some of the worst snags I EVER fished. I never had a rod on the bottom long enough to catch anything there and gave up after retying every cast. From aboat might be a better way to go but forget the shore fishing!

Good luck and be sure to let us know if you do well down there, I get plenty of Whites, Hybrids, saugers and a few decent bass there in the fall and spring. I never hit the skippies but I know there there at times in large numbers.

Salmonid

4. CAT ADDICT

CAT ADDICT New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That's kind of what I am affraid of. I don't have a boat so.....

5. keith

keith New Member

State:
    ohio
    the only time I fish there is for bait, the bottom is a nightmare. for catfish

6. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Which one is Meldahl? What town is it near? Ever consider a catbobber or is it too swift?

7. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    BAD BAD bottom.its like snag city man.its fun goin there n catchin sauger and i saw sombody pull up a HUGE flatty on the wall before so if i was goin cattin i'd prolly stay on the wall

8. r_p_narramore

r_p_narramore New Member

State:
    East KY
    I have had pretty good luck there at times, but like everyone says you will go through some gear. Mostly caught channels , but a few small blues and flatheads also. Takes a good sized sinker and expect to break off a lot. If you hate to retie alot this is not the place to fish. I haven't fished the ohio side.

9. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    have any of ya'll caught any really nice fish there?

10. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I ain't ever done particularly good there. The water seems to fluctuate a ton there. It seems like all it has to do is rain for a few minutes and the low side is going to come up to 30'. It's one of the closest places on the river for me and I usually try to stay away from it.

11. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Well See when i bass fishing they have this thing called a hound dog bait retriver i don't know how well it would work on a cat fishign rig but i know it does good on a carolina rig so you may wanna look that up if you interested