Fishing Lower LOZ

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by futbalstud42, Oct 27, 2005.

1. futbalstud42

futbalstud42 New Member

I was wondering if anybody does any fishing on the lower reaches of the LOZ. If so I would like to do some talking aobut it, and might go with you if you are interested. I would like to know how deep people fish in the fall/winter months, baits etc. If anyone fishes here let me know.

john

2. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    I hope to do some winter catfishing near the mouth of the Niangua. I dont have any definate dates since my health has been so iffy but your welcome to come along.

3. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I see you're both fairly new here, welcome aboard. This site will become your second home.

4. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Futbal, I don't fish the lower end much but do fish from Truman dam down 20 miles or so. I use shad mostly. If your ever up on this end of the lake give me a holler and we can go try to catch some.

Bigmagic, Nice to see you back on here. We missed you at the Truman get together. I hope your doing better. Have you been out catching any lately?

5. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    glad to see you back ron ,How are you feeling?

6. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Honestly Robert marginal but I'm tired of sitting around this house. I am going out tomorrow to locate some winter blues even if I have to to go alone. I am charging my boat batteries and as long as she fires and everything works I'll be on the water tomorrow. I'll probably just pop up on Truman and see if I can locate a wintering hole unless my son decides to go then I'll get down to Niangua and let ya know. There are some deep areas around Brown Bend I may check out that are a lot closer just haven't made up my mind. I'll know when I pull the boat out in the morning.

7. smallriverrat

smallriverrat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ron,
    Due to my limited internet time it maybe alittle while before I can reply but my scedule for right now is working wed, thur, fri, and half day on sat. Days off are sun, mon, tuesday. So if you feeling like going fishing let me know and I will hopefully get the message in time and we can go.

Dave

8. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Hey Jess, I read your reply on Upper LOZ and the boats and that is some what true but I think it might of calmed down a bit from when you were here last. I've been at the MM5 for 2 years now and up to about noon the boats are busy but not bad and then from noon to dusk they are bad. At dusk they slow way down and die down completely at dark. Water Patrol has really been working the area from what we've seen. I've been stopped twice and I've seen so many boats stopped it is unbelievable. My son got a ticket for doing 38mph after dark when the speed limit is 35mph on LOZ (cost him $150.00) and that wasn't one of the two times we've been stopped. Lots of inspections for beer on boats and a lot of jet skiers stopped for coming too close too boats. And, the Water Patrol is out late at night I assume looking for drunk drivers. If you see another boat on our cove after dark you best behave because it's most likely Water Patrol.
    The boat your talking about I believe was rented from a place by us. A couple guys rented a deck boat and then went back and loaded up all their buddies, about 24 of them, and they took off out into the main channel. It was all over the radio and marine radio about the boat going down. They recovered the boat and all the people and then the guys tried to tell the boat rental place there were only eight people in the boat, so you can't always blame the lake.

9. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    RamRod, I've been a member of the BOC since July 2002, I don't know why the stats didn't transfer to the new board. Its ok though I haven't posted much since the transfer because I've been too busy with Doctors appointments.:)

10. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    I think the lower reaches of LOZ is the best kept secret in the catfish world, mainly because of all the large fast boats. One year a long time ago I spent time on leave at my brother-in-laws around the 8MM and fished from his dock in a deep cove at night. As a result of that I now have a bad case of catfish fever and always from that point wanted to live down here. In one night of fishing with bluegill as bait the cats in that cove destroyed all 3 of my cheap reels and I never saw any of them.:crying: If anyone living on that end of the lake has Crappie beds off their docks and decide to fish for cats at night...they better have some VERY heavy gear.:eek:

11. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Hey, Jess, been a while since we've spoken, when they changed over the site I lost my ChubWaster user name so had to make up another one.
    I've been to the site and it is interesting to say the least. The Water Patrol has been busy by us, that's all I can say. We watched as he asked a driver of a jet ski to get off so he could safely search his machine for beer and the driver said something and a foot came out and he flipped that jet ski over slicker than snot. He checked the machine, found no beer, and wrote the guy a ticket for not following instructions of an officer or something like that. My first thought was, what a a--hole but you know those guys put up with a lot of BS and every time they have talked to me they have been nice as all get out. Tell me what I was doing wrong, suggestions on how to fix it and let it go at that, but then I was polite and listening. I have no problem with them and I hope they do more around us. If we see a boat out after dark we assume it is Water Patrol and it most likely is, that time of night. There should be a day time speed limit on the lake in my opinion, just because I have a corvette doesn't mean I get to drive faster than is safe or over the speed limit.
    You know, I've had a couple boats do the same thing, head for us and when we turn, they follow us, we just shut it down and sit there and give them the bad eye and let it go at that.
    We can usually fish to about 11:AM before boats get a little busy and then after supper about dark we start getting ready if we are going out at night. We do so well off the dock we usually just sit there and fish until we're ready for bed. Bathroom is close, food, and you can take short breaks in the house and we can catch a lot of fish up to 5or 6 lbs and it is just fun. Neighbor had one on a pole in the holder, broke that pole in half and then busted the line. Said it was 30lb line but what was the drag set on? I saw the pole, the bottom half and it was broken and he did have heavy line on it, so they are in there for sure.

12. timpndr20

timpndr20 New Member

State:
    missouri
    john,
    I just signed up on this site,I fish the lower end of lake ozark all the time.I would be happy to take you fishing sometime.Up until a week ago the fish were on bottom in 30 to 50 feet of water.I have been catching them on fresh and frozen shad that I have caught and frozen.you can email me at timpndr20@yahoo.com .I look forward to fishing with you.

13. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Welcome to the site Timpndgr20, lots of good people and information on the site. What MM you on?

14. Boogan1

Boogan1 New Member

State:
    Carrollton, MO
    When I was growing up we had a cabin on the 6mm of the gravois arm. In the late 70's, early 80's I ran all over that end of the lake in a 16' john boat with a 15hp motor. Never had any trouble. Then the boats just started getting bigger and bigger. There is some awesome catfishing down there though. The last time I was in that area I was in my 20' IMP and ran up to millstone on a saturday afternoon. I wasn't sure we were going to make it back. Hit one wave so hard i broke one of the windshields. I guided for bass out of Tan Tara and Lodge of the Four Seasons in 1991 and 1992. Had an 18' winner with a 175 on it. If you learned how to get the boat up high on the pad and run the tops it wasn't too bad, but if you had to throttle back, you were gettin wet! I remember one cattin trip my brother in law and I did, it was in late july, saturday, lake was just rolling. We were drifing cut shad on the 30' drop off in front of Tan Tara, we just killed the cats, 5-15 pounds, we limited out. Water was so rough we couldn't sit up on the fishing seats on the bass boat. I now have a place at warsaw and like that end of the lake a whole lot better, better fishing, not as many boats, water a lot calmer. Where our camper is located we can drive a mile and put in truman or a mile and put in LOZ. So I have the best of both worlds. Some good cattin places on the lower end of the lake are the drop off in front of tan tara, there is an old river channel that runs near the shore between the mouth of indian creek and time out bar. We had a lot of good luck there. On up in indian creek we fished the creek channels a lot and did really good. Good luck! Boog

15. timpndr20

timpndr20 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I dont live on the lake,Ilive just 30 minutes east of Osage Beach,but I am on the lake almost evry weekend.I usually put in at pin oak cove,or a private ramp at the21mm.I fish alot of the deep water coves from the 23mm back to the gravois,and the gravois arm.Not many cat fishermen venture up the gravois arm,but I have caught several nice blues there.:)

16. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Futbol- I used to spend a lot of time between Bagnell and MM 11; I don't anymore because I only have an 18 ft bass boat. Just can't take the constant beating during the summer. Although I was almost always bass fishing in that area, I have caught some nice cats. Usually on a jig and chunk during a bass tournament, which really tics me off.

Interesting thing, though. Probably at a 2 to 1 ratio, an area by MM 8 produced the most 5# - 15 # cats I have boated on the lower lake. Just to the South of Buck Creek (at the 8 MM) there are a couple of islands across the mouth of "Cape Hollow." For some reason, the Cape Hollow has produced a bunch of cats for me, when I wasn't even trying. It is probably the combination of the location (calm, deep water out of the main channel flow) and the crappie beds that seem to be very popular there. If I were trying for cats in that area of the lake, I'd be tempted to start there. There also used to be a nice spot down by beeheck in Lick Branch (5 MM), but when I was down there 2 years ago and graphed it, silt had changed it dramatically. Now if you want some bass spots in that area, we can talk. But you better PM me 'cause these guys will never let us discuss lowly bass on this site!;)

17. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    safetybass, as I remember it you CAN'T fish for catfish most of the time because your dog eats all your bait.lol We've found a couple place near home that have turned out pretty good. Finally have slowed down and looked at areas of the lake rather than the lake as a whole. Kind of slowing down and seeing the trees rather than the forest. Makes it a little easier to figure out what to do once your over the shock of the size and depth of LOZ.

18. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I keep hearing about the crappie, but all is hearsay. I swear I'm going to take a week off just to fish. Just don't know what year. I got to go to Miami in a couple weeks to teach a class; that's starting to crimp my scedule at the office. Old shad eater is still up for a trip. Thought I was going to have to put her down last year, but Doc got her turned around. She's getting old and stiff, though. Not sure where she learned to imitate the Wolf.

19. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    OK, got to remember not to go fishing with safetybass if he's going to put down anything that gets old and stiff, I wouldn't stand a chance.
    Wolf, if I could see the squirrels in the trees, I would be squirrel hunting.lol I really didn't fish that much last year, we worked on the house most the time and had a few unexpected problems like termites, and when we had the dock re-foamed a lot of the boards were rotted so new boards and more work.
    Not long until turkey hunting starts, going with a bow this year so that will be fun. Supposed to start getting cold again, we've had a warm, warm winter but the ice is still on most the ponds in the area but not safe to walk on.

20. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Good advice and noted. Maybe I can get him in a boat this summer and let him catch me some bait. I'll fish for cats and he can throw that net till he's blue in the face.