Fishing Log?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Katmaster Jr., Dec 24, 2005.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Hey, I was thinking of starting a Fishing Log where I right down how the fishing was and how I caught the fish (if I caught any fish :D ) and where I caught the fish after each fishing trip so every year I can look back to the previous year and read where I was catching them at that particular time of year. Does anyone on here already do this? How does it work for you?
    I think I'm gonna start it, this January....a new years resolution.... :D

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I used to do it many years ago, I kept one for about 10 years....But one disturbing fact sufaced :sad: My catch rates declined, in part I think do to the popularity of catfishing, and alot of people not releasing trophy sized fish..I still have it, My best month ever was June of 1986. I caught 17 flatheads over 20-lbs in that month..Now fishing some of the same waters I am lucky to catch a handfull of flats that size in a year..I have also lost access to some prime spots I use to bank fish, and I am sure that has not helped either.

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Not to mention.... you have a superior fishing partner, who usually catches all the big ones before you.

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I'm smellin somethin that smells like it was generated from a bull. LOL!

5. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Katmaster, Jr, I currently keep a fishing log and have since 96. My father has kept one since the 60's. They can be very helpful as to giving you an idea of where the fish might be. Although, I wouldn't rely on one as the only means of locating fish since a body of water can change from year to year, especially rivers. Mine is like a scrap book kind of log, sometimes I will even put in a picture of my catch. Vern

6. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    I think it was 3 servers ago but there use to be a down loadable chart for keeping these logs. Maybe its stuck in the library somewhere?

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    That's sad to hear about your catches decreasing, there's a river around here that use to be full of channel cats....big ones too! But the commercial fisherman wiped them out with those nets :cursing: Along with most other fish in there. :sad:

8. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Now, now, Mellon, you know Flathunter taught you everything you know.....LOL :p :eek: :D

9. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah, that's what I was gonna use it for mostly to see where I caught the fish, and I figure it might help me if I do a fishing log for bait also, so I can look back to see where I was cacthing bait the same time of year..previous years. As you said alot of years change and esspecialy in rivers.....I mostly fish in A big Lake though. I noticed they seem to follow alot of the same patterns every year.

Take it easy bro, And Merry Christmas :)

10. dgde4x4man

dgde4x4man New Member

State:
    La Moille, Illinois
    Joesf you are right I do remember that. I also remember the pc program the was talked about as well. If you have one of the old Catfish Insider Mags they had a chart in one of them to log your fishing trips if memory serves me right.

11. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    My brother keeps fishing logs for the lakes he fishes bass tournaments at, and they seem to help him. He's only been doing it for a year, so right now they were only useful for certain weather conditions and water clarities. But, next year they should help him with different months and seasons.

I've thought about doing one, but I was thinkin' that I catch so many big fish, I'd be spending too much money on notebooks. ;)

12. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    I been keeping "Fishing Logs" of my trips for years now.

Dates of my trips:
    Fishing Buddys That went on the Trip:
    Bait Used:
    The Type of Rig I Used:
    Everyones Catch:
    Fishing Trip Rating (from 1 to 5):
    & Closing Coments on the Fishing Trip (Good :) or Bad :mad: ):

It all started when I was doing alot of Ba$$ Fishing, now it help me out alot more because I fish from the bank 99.9% of the time anyway.
    By keeping a Fishing Log it helps me catch more & bigger fish because by having a Log on your trips you know where to go, and where not to go, - what bait worked in that area, - and what time of year was the best fishing time for you.
    (Think About It :rolleyes: )

:0a26:
    Take it easy buddy,
    Bert :cool:

13. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i started one in 91 and quit later that year. wish i would have kept using it. try to keep track of the barometric pressure and the moon periods of the days you fish. its much easier to do now since you can go online to get all the info. only in the past few years i have learned that the biggest flats in a particular body of water will only feed on certain days of a major moon period, granted the weather conditions are right. i am a firm beleiver that the biggest of the flats will feed really heavily and then go lay down for quite a while, at least a week or so.

14. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    If you are wanting to keep a log,here on the forum if you go to valuable online resources,you can download a free electronic log.It has everything you need to keep a log its great.I have never kept a log but im going to start doing it this year.Check it out i think you will like it.

15. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    OK, thank's for all the responses everyone, I'm gonna try all of ya'lls ideas :)

Merry Christmas :)

16. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Jack, I've also experience the same sad story here on Milford Lake. I've kept a fishing log ever since I started Catfishing, about 16 years ago. My year end results are also very depressing, fewer fish and A LOT less tropy fish. Up until about 5-6 years ago, I'd catch anywhere from 15 to 25 Channels from 15lbs up to 20+. Same for Bluecats till about 2 years ago. This year has been my worst, only four, one a ten lb Blue, two 20+ Blues and one 20+ Flathead(a fluke, I was drifting cutbait for Blues!). I do tag and release everything over 8lbs now, used to be 10lbs and bigger. I also seen alot of the big ones being loaded in the truck. The not so funny thing is, the guys taking them are now whining about not catching anymore big Cats. When you'd try to tell them they need to be put back, the standard replys were, "you can't fish this lake out", or, "if I don't keep them, someone else will".

17. e5catfish

e5catfish New Member

State:
    Smilax, KY
    Katmaster Jr., I've been keeping a fishing log for years, since 1975. It's priceless to me! I keep records religiously on fishing, trotlining/juggin, lake elevation, trotline calendar, total fish caught etc. If I knew how to post a picture of them or send a fax, I'd send you a copy to get started. Just make your own with the type of necessary information that applies to your kind of fishing. I always go back through my records and make comparisons or just when I can expect it to get daylight on my next trip. Here's what I put in my records:

Date:
    Where:
    Nights:
    Caught:
    Combined:
    Type:
    Water Temp:
    Elevation:
    Visibility:
    Depth:
    Weather:
    Day/Dark:
    Moon:
    Barometer:
    Best Places:
    Comments:

And on my trotlining records I put:
    Date:
    Where:
    Nights:
    Caught:
    Total weight:
    Lines set:
    Total hooks:
    Biggest fish:
    Weather:
    Water Temp:
    Moon:
    Barometer:
    Best Places:
    Comments:
    Sizes:

Hope this helps. Good luck.
    Bobby

18. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thank you brother, that does help alot. I will make one with the stuff you mentioned up there.

Good luck :)

19. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I use a log for every trip. I write down:

air / water temp
    Time of day / month
    Location fished
    special conditions
    bait used
    productive bait
    number caught
    moon phase
    rig used

I also do something similar for deer hunting. I make a sketch of the area and mark an "x" for every deer i see in the area. Blue x i let pass. Red x was a kill. I hunt the same stand and property every year so it's pretty easy to do.

Thanks

20. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    You guys have some good ideas. I may start me a log. :D