Fishing Log Jams

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Mud Cat, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Mud Cat

Mud Cat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    when fishing log jams how much of a leader if any would u recomend, normally i use bout 12 in?

2. CopeMan

CopeMan New Member

State:
    MO
    I would use as short as i thought i could get away with. And id make it a heavy one too. Id say less chance or gettin snagged. But what do i know. Just my two cents.:tounge_out:

3. Mud Cat

Mud Cat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    thanks copeman i will try that too!!!

4. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Log jams are all I fish and I use a 12 inch heavy 80-100# steel leader....the baitfish can not wrap that stiff of leader around nearly as much. It also depends on how deep the water is by the log jam, in some instances I will even pay a little more line out in deeper water:wink:

5. Mud Cat

Mud Cat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    thanks yea thats wat i use a 12 in leader bt maybe i will try a lil heavier one an thanks again!!:big_smile:

6. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    anywere from 12 to 15 inches works in my waters. ususally use 40# berkley big game for a leader. stuff works good.

7. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Id use a shorter leader if you are tight against the cover. He doesnt need to swim far, he just needs to kick. There is alot more wood underwater than most would expect. Longer leaders let them tangle up and hide. I use a 6 inch or less when snuggling up to cover and up to 12 inches when on the outside or on a flat. Just my $.02.:wink:

8. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    in addition to short leaders, use heavy wieghts to keep the bait from swiming into a snagg!

9. Flatspontoons

Flatspontoons New Member

State:
    Texas
    Excellent point and one not often considered, Tim!

Even super-short leaders do little good if a big bullhead or hand-sized bluegill can drag your sinker around on the bottom! :embarassed:

Just because the current can't move it doesn't automatically mean a big, active bait can't!

10. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    are yall using a caralina rig with slip sinkers, i never use a bead

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Talking about flatheads in logjams just got me to thinking about when I lived down in Florida; guys would fish for jewfish by using heavy cane poles with just a foot or so of line on it, and a live baitfish, and stick the bait back into every hole they could find in the rocks of a jetty.

12. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I use a Carolina with a 6 to 8 oz. slip on it. I also prefer a shorter leader when in thick structure, but I actually run heavier main line than I do leader so that if it gets snagged I will loose a hook and leader rather than a sinker and swivel. Just seems to work pretty good here, but might not be best for all.

13. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I use a bead if I have one handy, but it is not needed if your sinker is smooth enough not to damage the braid.

14. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    The bead just has never made any sense to me at all. A bead is still harder than mono so it's still going to damage mono before the mono damages the bead. Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to me other than it looks good when you're running from spot to spot and makes you look like you "know what you're talking about". There are some soft beads that I actually think may make a difference but the hard plastic bead make no difference at all. It's a law of nature, harder substance damages softer substance, simple as that.

That said, I do use beads from time to time, LOL.

15. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    Plastic beads don't get sharp burs and nicks in them like your sinker will. The plastic acts like a cusion keeping the sinker from hammering against the knot. I don't use beads because it's just more crap to mess with.

16. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    I agree 100% except I think "it is" worth the time to use them. And WES I don't know too many catfisherman that try to act "cool" when they are using a peice of tackle that really "works". Thats like saying the snell knot is for showoffs and it doesn't work

17. KSKatter

KSKatter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Here's a little tip: be sure your hook isn't too sharp, or it'll stick in the wood. I use circle hooks that curve in towards the shank more, In my mind, it also helps keep it from snagging

18. fullstringer

fullstringer Member

State:
    Indiana
    If your planning on using a kahle hook or a hook that requires a big hookset I think the bead is critical for protecting your knot, although if you only use circle hooks, I don't usually use a bead I don't think there as necessary in this case.

19. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i dont thik that beads allthat important

20. BoxxerBoyDrew

BoxxerBoyDrew New Member

State:
    Woodway, Texas
    I always use GLASS BEADS! The plastic beads seem to have a Sharp edge around the hole where the glass beads have a heavy rounded edge! Before I found the glass beads I DID use the plastic beads though!! My best friends Dad ( when I was growing up) taught us to use beads! He was a BIG TIME CATTER, and he showed us that the edges of the sinker would get banged around, ESPECIALLY AROUND RIP RAP ROCKS OF DAMS!!! And we would have break offs with BIGGER FISH A LOT more than with smaller fish before the bead! Since then I have had very few break offs at the barrel swivel!

I tried NOT using a bead with braid when it came out, and it would suffer even quicker WITHOUT a bead than the Big Game we used to use!!

But to each their own!! BUT if you find you are having break offs of the main line when fighting BIGGER FISH and you are not using a bead. Then I would start using one!!!

Another thing is that the Guide that took My Son on his Trophy Blue Cat Trip said that He ALWAYS USES BEADS, and he does it for a living where it puts food on his Family's plate!!! So that just reinforced it to my son, because he thought messing with the bead was a time consuming thing!

Any Way not trying to FLAME ANY ONE UP HERE!! Just my thoughts!!:wink:

P.S. We use 8" leaders around Log Jams, and the ammount of weight is a HUGE THING TOO!!!

Take Care and keep your hooks WET!!
    Andy