Fishing log Jams for Catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by etipriga, Feb 11, 2006.

1. etipriga

etipriga New Member

State:
    TX
    One river that i fish on has built up a long jam that goes across the river under the bridge. Thers a small path that allows boats to go through(barely). I have never fished this logjam but not even a mile down river from it there are tons of trotlines that people are always catchings flatties on. Up river from it there are not near as many trotlines but still have seen some flats taken.

Im just wonderin wich side of it would better to fish(up or down river).

PS: This river flows into the lake if it makes any difference.

2. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i always take up on the down stream side of log jams, flatheads will hide behind them waiting for carp and what not to come by

3. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    My first question is this a new jam or one that has been there awhile?
    If its a new one it may take sometime for them to start moving into it.
    If it's old then they are already there.Some of the things I look for is location of shallow flats an pocket holes or what some call wash outs. Thats where the flow of water under cuts the jam it's self or on the down side of it washes out a hole.And location of bait fish around the jam.
    If I'm looking for Flats during the day it's on the down side near the jam or the front side of the wash out.Or even thru the open holes within the jam it's self.Evening,night time an early morning I look for them in the shallows close to the jam or wash out.
    One reason you might be seeing the set lines away from the jam is of shallow feeding areas or alot of snags near the jam to loose tackle.
    Just a few thoughts maybe more later.
    Loop

4. etipriga

etipriga New Member

State:
    TX
    This logjam has definatly been there for a while. Now i dont quite understand what u mean by shallow flats and could a wash out be this small path that all the boats go through? I also didnt get what you said about down side near the jam or the front side of the wash out.

Thanks alot for the help.

5. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    I have to go along with Baitfish.I fish the upstream side of the jambs,and chum a little at a time to draw the cats out during the day.If I can get right into the jamb I will fish the pockets using a heavy weight to anchor it in place and do'nt use large baits.That way I strike and haul them out as quickly as possible.
    Good luck.

BILL

6. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I would go with baitfish on this. Anchor above the log jam and cast down to the log jam on the up stream side. Try not to cast to close to it and get tangled up. You can also try using a float and cast above the log jam and control it around the log jam letting the current take it around the edge of it. I have got many cats this way.

7. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    I've caught a few big channels out of log jams. If there is some current going over, or around the logs, fish the boils infront of and behind the log. Also, the more isolated cover will usually hold bigger fish!

8. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i have caught some really nice channels above and below log jams. And have also caught some nice flats

9. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    Washout are made by the water going around objects such as rock,bridge pilons an of course log jams which will dredge out a hole on the bottom Depending on how fast the water is moveing around the object if its fast it will usually be farther away from the object than if its a slow current.Fish will usually hang at the front edge of the hole waiting on food washing down stream,They will also hold close to the edge of the water flowing around the object in calm water blocked by the jam.The shallows are usually the areas on either side of the hole in the calm water behind the jam.Some times because of the force of the water flow there will be a washout in front of the jam most of what I catch in those areas are channels an blues with a flatty every once in awhile.I get more Flatties on the down side of the jam.Or out of the holes inside the jam it's self.Shallow above a log jam during the night can produce nice fish also.
    Your going to have to do some poking around to find the holes an shallows,that why we call it fishing LOL
    Hope this makes it a little clearer.
    Loop

10. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    When I'm fishing for flatties I like to cast near the top of the snag. The key is to get it as far into the snag without getting hung up.

11. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Mike, how old is that jam under that bridge... I am sure it must be of some age. I would definitely take a look at it soon. If there are many people running lines then they are most likely in there. Are there a lot of jams in the area or just the one? How big of a jam is it? How deep is the water under that bridge ? If there a few of those jams around you probably got a honey hole there. If not it may just be drawing in a few from the baitfish. Is this a deep hole, or is there any deep water adjecent? Flatheads will almost always be near some sort of deeper water, now don't take that the wrong way, I have caught some in a foot of water but there were pockets near by. I would probably fish just downstream of it, or on any flats that may be near. If a deep pocket is there put a bait right on the edge where the shallow meets the deep. If you can float one over it, do it!

12. etipriga

etipriga New Member

State:
    TX
    The jam has been there for a long time from what i know. I was fishing with an older guy once and he told me every so often they go in and clear it out, but i know they havent done it in at least 2 years. Im pretty sure that no one has ne lines at the jam, the closest line is prolly about 100-150 yards donwn river from it. As far as the river its about 16-18 ft deep and it has a channel that runs ne where from 22-30 ft. I think at the dam its prolly about 20-22 ft(the channel). the river is about fifty yards wide and like i said earlier thers a small hole to get your boat through the jam(about 8 ft wide). Other than that i dont know of ne other jams on the river. Right now Therse alot of people going down there for crappie but im pretty sure no ones fishing for yellas. I think around here other than trot lines not very many people fish for flatheads w/ rod and reel.

13. Catmaster81

Catmaster81 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ah, yes log jams the catfisherman's best friend. Lots of good posts by the guys before me too. I pretty much agree with about everything said. Three key elements to a log jam that holds big fish: 1)The shear size of the jam: The bigger the jam, the more fish, and usually the bigger fish.
    2) Access to deep water nearby. The best jams are near deep water, or over deep water. I've caught some of my biggest cats in log jams over 8-15 feet of water. 3) This one gets lost sometimes, but the best jams are the ones that most dramatically effect the current. I've always had the best luck with log jams in the middle of the river, or jams with a race of water behind them. I think this is what one of the earlier posts was alluding to. Often times on a steep bank, and usually on the outside bend of a river, the current erodes the bank under the tree roots and the tree goes in. When this happens, the whole root wad goes in with it, and if the water level gets high enough at some point during the year, the river will wash out a scour hole in behind the root wad, creating a fast food drive through for hungry cats right behind the root wad. The jam allows them cover and shade during the day, but the many tiny roots in the root wad, and the extra oxygen generated by the water flowing behind the wad draws lots of minnows. Big flatheads gorge themselves on these minnows, and when the spawn comes, they'll back right up into the roots to nest. Another good place to catch catfish on a jam is to tie the bow of the boat up right near the end of the jam and fish the "slick" that forms of the point of the jam. The "slick" is usually apparent as the current seam where leaves, algae, etc come off the end of the jam. Minnows feed on this algae, and the current carries them right to hungry cats. This is what the earlier post referred to when he talked about using a float. Floats are good for that situation, or you can fish on the bottom with an egg sinker rig too. In your case, if you're fishing from the bank, you might be best to go to the side of the river where the boats go through and cast in behind the end of the jam. This is where the active fish will be. Just be careful to reel in before boats come through. As for upstream or downstream of a jam, I usually fish the upstream side during the day when the water is normal or low. The fish stay tight to the cover during the day and you need to put your bait right on them. As a rule, you should always stay on the bottom on the upstream side of the jam. If you're fishing at night or in high water, the back side is usually superior. At night, big flats will cruise right near the top in the dead water behind the jams feeding on the baitfish near the water's surface. Also, in high water, fish gravitate to the back side of jams to escape the hellacious current. I've used these methods for years and caught countless cats on them!

14. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My suggestion is if you can safely do it, walk on the jam and fish down between logs. Many large cats can be caught that way. Just make sure the logs are safe enough to walk on.............Had many times where they would shift and down you go:crying:

15. etipriga

etipriga New Member

State:
    TX
    I do have a boat but if i wanted to walk on it i wouldnt have a problem, this thing is pretty much like a dam in the river its prolly about 15 yards wide(give or take).
    Thanks for all the info guys this is good stuff!!:worship:

16. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Great post catmaster81.

Loop's on the money about the shallow flats.

I'm with Baitfish on the front of the jam. I'm a big beliver in heavy rods, big reels and heavy test line. When a BIG hits you better not play around much, wench it's butt out to open water.

Lot's of great info on the thread!!