Fishing live eels and river fishing.....

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by bellymeat, Dec 10, 2008.

1. bellymeat

bellymeat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I saw a post a while back about someone complaining that a live eel will wrap around and tangle up your rig. Some suggestions were hook the eel through its lips, eyes, tail, etc. NOW a live eel will squirm and swim and try to get to some structure thus making a mess and getting hung up.

Although I don't fish live eels alot, I found a little trick that no matter how you hook them, will kill the wiggle.

When you get your eels from the river, bait store or whatever, I always have a bucket with a little ice. Instead of chunking them into your livewell or bait bucket, put them on ice. They still have the fresh taste to the cat, but are much less active and on the river the current gives them that little action.

AND i always cut the tails off to give off a little blood to sniff on.

later...
    Ron

2. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I keep mine in a bait bucket but most of my buddies keep theres on ice and it doesnt kill them at all. As soon as they hit that warmer water they ar full steam ahead. I have been finding that the cut eels have been working the best lately.:wink:

3. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    I've never used eels before.....for anything. James, I plan on taking Bill up on his offer for a visit this coming year. You need to introduce me to Mr. Slime Stick. Better yet, show me when we all get to GA in April. I'm sure you'll have the trusty ol' eel bucket....

4. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    sounds like you guys have some killer bait.... we cant throw a net or have some bait like like you guys.... but we are in califronia... and we have lost the right to do like you guys..... :angry:

OBAMA WAS NOT HERE...... I THINK....:wink:

baayrunner ray

5. spoon1

spoon1 New Member

State:
    AL.
    There has been lots of fish caught below the guntersville dam on A 7" ribbon tail plastic worm (red) I guess fish think it's an eel?

6. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i have not used eels for bait, because i dont know how. what kind do you use, i thought you would use them as cut bait.

7. bellymeat

bellymeat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Live eels I hook them through their eyes, but alot of people hook'em in the lips, middle or tail.

In the summer a lot of bait stores sell live eels. Good fishing sizes. The ones I catch are usually too big so I cut them up in chunks just like you would use cut bait.

I haven't had too much luck on frozen eels so I don't keep them unless I plan to fish in another day or two. A place here in florence sells them for about a $1.30 apiece live or $10 for a frozen bag full. So you may be able to find them where you at.

NOW.... I do have friends who prefer to fish with dead snakes. They will stop whenever they see one and chunk it in their trucks. ME I prefer to run over the snake again, but to each their own.

Hope this helps....
    Ron

8. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Me and my buddies got some good fish this past weekend on some frozen eel. It wasn't frozen that long. I really think that's the key, not freezing it for over a week or two. Big gizzard shad, crappie, bream, eels, all come out pretty close to fresh with the slime still on them and everything. Fish don't really seem to mind. I had always been reluctant to use frozen bait but it worked in the river surprisingly well. Also works well in the lake on the flatheads.

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN

Thanks for the tip

10. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    The big fat ones will produce fish no matter how long they been frozen. Just my experience. Up here to fish em live they must be a minimum of 6" in length. When ya fish em live just be sure to give it a few extra seconds before settin the hook. Gotta let em gobble it up like a strand of spaghetti. LOL!

11. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    NOW.... I do have friends who prefer to fish with dead snakes. They will stop whenever they see one and chunk it in their trucks. ME I prefer to run over the snake again, but to each their own.

Hope this helps....
    Ron[/quote]

Eels and snakes look too much alike. Hate them both. But I will say that James took me and Swamprat fishing on the PeeDee river using those things and we did catch fish.
    Jonathan

12. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    You say that like there was any doubt that was going to happen.:smile2::wink::smile2: