Fishing live baits under a float

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Scott Daw, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I was thinking about fishing some larger live bait (small sucker or bluegill) under a float like a small balloon. The lake Im now fishing has some striped bass & muskie and wouldnt mind wasting some time on one while waiting for a cat to bite. Think its worth a shot?

2. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    Definitely! Floats work great.:smile2:

3. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Wild Wolf's Kat Bobbers work great. I used to use balloons, but they are bad for the environment and the Kat Bobbers work better.

4. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    It all I use, floats for all bait,Live bait swim more freely and stay alive longer, you can detect a hit quicker, get better hookup ratio because the hook pulls up instead of sideways and out of the mouth most of the time, in my opinion. I fish 99.9% of the time with floats.

5. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Works for me, we use bottled water bottles, kind of like jugging with a pole.

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I love fishing with a slip float its one the best ways, to catch catfish or any other kind of fish I love fishing with a float rig.

7. Dnedster

Dnedster New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Floats are a great way to present your bait over a snag filled bottom I use them a lot saves tackle.

8. jigerjim

jigerjim New Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    Scott I know the lake your fishin! I fished there for year's until I moved North. I used bobber's all the time with Blue Gill's about 3-4". I cought many Muskie's that way, but never any stripper's. You never know what's going to grab your bait. I used a Thill slip bobber about 4" long and about 1" wide with just enough weight to keep the Gill down. Across from the Haycock boat ramp and on the other side of the lake there a parking lot there some where, I never used it but I know it there. Go down to the little cove there and at that point it's 15 to 20' deep. That cove is about 1/4 mile down from the ramp on the north side, I think there's a path right to it. I alway's fished from a boat so I'm not sure about the path. I've cough many a good cat's and Muskie's from that area.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I Ditto this post. The float works great and does save on tackle plus catches a lot of fish.:lol: :smile2: