Fishing Line?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by KC Jayhawk 78, Jan 31, 2006.

1. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Just wondered what everyone else is using for there catfishing? I just strung on some power pro 40 lb. tonight, and it left a bunch of little yellow shavings on my hands , and in between the paper that I was using to keep from burning my fingers on. Is that normal? The line looks fine. Just alot of that yellow rubbed off. Anyway Im thinking of going with 30 lb. mono leader. Could any of you suggest what brand and kind of mono I should use? If I get hung up , I wanna be able to break away , without losing my good line. Thanks for the input in advance. :)

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would suggest berkly biggame..Iuse it as a mainline and leader.

3. tackleman

tackleman New Member

State:
    Olathe. Kansas
    I like the Big Game also having pretty good luck with the Suffix lines. Been using their Tritanium Plus.

4. JReed

JReed New Member

State:
    Lima, Ohio
    I would say the big game or Ande. I don't like using Ande on my whole reel but it is good for a leader.

5. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Cathunter78. The yellow shavings you seen are normal. I have 6 or seven reels loaded up with power pro and they all done the same thing. No harm done to the line. Use what ever quality mono you like for a leader. I like ande or suffix. but what ever you have on hand will work. Make sure it is fresh and keep it out of sun light. UV rays tear mono up fast.

One other thing. As your power pro ages it will turn white . Dont worry it is still as good as new. I have two reels that the power pro is 4 years old and still just as strong as the day I put it on.

6. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Ande says that it specializes in abrasion resistency in monofilaments, until hearing of it on this website , ive never heard of it. What do you all think , is Ande a better mono than the rest?:)

7. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i use powerpro and nothing else,its just strong not to use

8. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Cathunter Ande is a saltwater mono, so is Big Game..either will work just fine.

9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    All line companys claim to be better at abrasion resistency then the other line company. It's hard to say who is right unless you do your own study. I just use 50# big game for a leader.

10. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    Ive always used Berkely(trilene) big game line ..the dark green and the bright green, Ive never had a problem from it, All though I am going to try out other lines this year

11. MNwiskers21

MNwiskers21 New Member

State:
    South Saint Paul, MN
    Hello,

I prefer useing 20 lb berkly fireline for catfishing, it has no strech and its diameter is smaller the the lb test it is so you can get more yards on your reel.

Hey CatHunter,

If you are getting yellow fibers on your fingers while your putting your line on, that means that the line is getting old and starting to break down. Even if you just bought the line doesn't mean that it's new, it probably has been on the shelf for a while. I recomend you go get a new spool, just a thought. You don't want to hook into a big one and have you line fail on you.

Take Care Everyone!

Sincerely, Kevin

12. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I wouldn’t worry about the yellow, that’s normal for new Powerpro to give off a little dust. I used 100lb Powerpro with a 40lb mono leader most of last year. The higher test PP generally broke before the mono, but it was always right at the swivel – I used a palomor knot.

13. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I use the Berkley Big Cat 40lbs test. Somtimes I use a Braided leader, but for the most part I use a 50lbs leader line(mono).

14. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    you just cant beat trilene big game on baitcasters. im trying out the new "hi-test" big game this year and so far i really like it, actually better than the regular big game. on my spinning reels i prefer a co-polymer over mono, i really like the P-line brand. silver thread used to make a "blue label" line that was and still is my favorite, however it isnt made anymore.

15. McFlat

McFlat New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    No kidding Gary? I have kept my yap shut about knots because so many members swear by the palomor, but in my limited experience I have had greater luck with the old "hangman's noose" knot. BUT, it's a bear to get one tied unless you moisten the thread on PP line.

I've never broken a "hangman" knot. I have lost a few Palomor's at the swivel but under only extreme duress; not fighting "Felkner Blues".

;)

16. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Lol, it's more like Missouri River snags. I still like the palomors, but it's definitely the weak point in my setup. At the point it breaks, I generally have the line wrapped around a stick and I'm leaning back on it pretty hard, exerting much more pressure than there would ever be fighting a fish. I may have to experiment some more with knots, though.

17. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Try the UNI knot.If you look at it,it very much resembles the hangmans knot.I have used the Uni in every kind of line and it is particularly good with braid.

18. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    With the palomar knot, you should lubricate the line and then tighten it slowly and evenly, otherwise the mono will stretch and weaken a little right there. If tied properly, it is a good knot, and easy to use.
    That said, I must agree with Jim that my favorite and most versatile is the uni-knot, and it is the best I've found for tying braided lines. I have fewer failures on braided line than with the palomar.

19. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I just spooled my light cat outfit with 17 pound maxima (the gold stuff) and I think it cast better then powerpro! I am very happy with it so far! I like using fluracarbon lines for leaders!

20. Midwest Drifter

Midwest Drifter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I been using 65 lb power pro to the swivle, with what ever mono I got laying around 20 - 40 lbs for the leader and change it often. I used to slide my weight on my mainline, but I think it tends to wear on the line to fast. Also its hard to break off when your hung up. So I been tying my weight on with anywhere from 4-6-8 lb mono. Also I think I can get better-farther cast with the weight being tyed on rather than sliding on the mainline. Has anybody else noticed this or is it just the way I been casting?