Fishing Line?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by fishinggal4life, Sep 1, 2006.

1. fishinggal4life

fishinggal4life New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    What's the best line to use to help reel the big ones in? Like the pound strength?

2. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I always use at least 20 lb test line. I really like Berkley Big Game. It is some good line. Hope that helps!!

3. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    I use 25 to 40 pound line. 20 is fine also, though probably best suited for open water with no snags.

4. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Cajun Lightnin', but don't cut yourself, girl, that stuff can be dangerous! :eek:oooh:

5. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    I'm sure that the Bass Pros are not using 8# test when fishing waters with 16# Bass swimming around the waters their fishing. They do not want to lose ANY FISH!! So IF you are fishing fer the Big Cats that can be 80 plus lbs you tell me what lb test you should be using plz.

Small dia. lines are much better in windy conditions and in a current than thick mono and can cast better too.

When using no stretch lines and tight-lining one can see more of what is going on and if you have alot of line out they are much faster when setting the hook also.

Ya just need a mono leader for the abrasion :wink: :wink: :wink:

:0a26:

6. maverick43812

maverick43812 New Member

State:
    ohio
    ok had to get my 2 cents in also. i use 15 lb test shakespear line from walmart. its cheap and ive never had a bit of trouble from it

7. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    i always use at least 20# test, berkley is a good line and so is Cajun advantage

8. catfishn72

catfishn72 New Member

State:
    WhEELING,WEST VIRGINIA
    30# big game would be good .depends on what ya call big.

9. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    20 # big game is all I have used on my cat outfits for years , set your drag and it will handle any that you are likely to catch .I have landed flats over 50# with it. If you are fish a big river with heavy current you may need something stronger.

10. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have been using Cajun Red Advantage line and Suffix both are good line. As for test I would use at least 15 pound test and bigger if the water you fish is known to have bigger fish in it's depth's.

11. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I always use the 30 pound berkely big game solar green line

12. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I use power-pro for higher strength with smaller dia. do to fishing a heavy current with a lot of log jams and snags. I see quite a few fish lost because of the lighter test line which is ok out in open water but when a fish gets in snags or rocks especially below some dams in the rip rap or above the dam where a lot of wood lays on the bottom. I also save a lot on terminal tackle with fewer break off's.

13. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    just bought 4 spools of 40# big game. New line before the national gathering.

14. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    i use 20lb big game and 20lb cajin

15. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Just Bought A 3 # Spool Of Berkley Big Game 25 # Line. This Is What I Prefer To Use.

16. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Everyone has their own favorite, It's all in what your after, what you can afford,and the fish your after

17. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    20# big game, you can't go wrong with this stuff.

18. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Suffix tritanuim, Best mono around. After awhile berkley big game gets brittle but not with any suffix lines. Berkley Big game is my next favorite though!

Josh

19. Catman 1964

Catman 1964 New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Big Cat Trilene 20# works really well for me no complaints.

20. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Carrie, I use 30 lb. salt water ande in the envy green on the main line it's highly visable and tough. And 50 lb. salt water ande for my leaders. I fish alot of tournaments and really like it.