Fishing Line - What is the worst you have used?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by warcraft1975, May 16, 2006.

1. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

well,me being pretty much broke i well to walmart tonight to get some fishing line my powerpro is getting real thin on the spool and since i cant afford the good stuff i got some cheaper line and boy is it,i picked up a spool of 80 eagleclaw mono line . and boy let me tell ya this stuff could double as weed eater line:eek:oooh: its real stiff so much so i have my doubts on being able to make a decent cast with it,and it is the thickest line i have ever seen so i think i might use it as a leader but thats about (maybe)so whats the worst you have ever picked up in your hour of need???

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yea that stuff is junk..walmart sells berkly biggame for around 7 bucks a spool, 30-lb is all you need.

3. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    Any Berkely Big Game above 20lb test,to me, is like trying to fish with MIG wire,and Ive had to many fish break the Cajun Red line to trust it any more. When it comes to fishing line, you pretty much get what you pay for. If its cheap,then its cheap!

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Stren! that line has so much stretch that its like using a rubber band!

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Actually the very worst stuff I ever used was back in the stone ages, when casting reels didn't have such features as a drag or free spool; black, braided, nylon line stretched worse than any mono, and had no abrasion resistance.

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Uhhhh...80 pound line is weedeater cord....

I had some stuff from Bass Pro Shops, I think it was their brand. 20 pound test and it stretched F O R E V E R ! ! ! ! ! !

I could get snagged, cinch it down, and then walk from one end of my pontoon to the other without breaking it.

7. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

most monos i cant stand just because it has to much strecth,big game is real bad at it,i have lost a ton of fish on it and wont use it any more

8. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Ive never had a problem with the cajun red line,ive caught plenty of big ones with it and nothing has ever broke me off i think its as tough as nails.What pound test line were you using?I have cajun red line on all my reels.

9. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Amen brother, not to mention I could never get a knot to hold worth a darn

10. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    I've had several bad spools of Stren that had weak places in them that would just break at these spots with very little pressure,sometimes right off the spool put'n it on a reel other times it would just send your sinker into low earth orbit. Use mostly Big Game now.

11. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    i got some stren on sale and i hate it. looks like a pigtail all the way down to the water. going to try out some RED this weekend.

12. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Got some of that cajun red this year 14 pound test on a shimano symetry and the line just falls of the spool and gets knots all the time.:doubt: :doubt:

13. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    I don't remember the brand....
    Cheep stuff from walmart... 10 lb test.
    The memory of it being on the spool does not go away, it don't spool on your reel right and if it is 10lb test, then I'm a monkeys uncle.

14. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    STREN, I've had 2 spools of 20lb that was so twisted on the spool it fouled my reels up when I put it on. Thought I messed up some way but it's twisted on the spool and brand new. Never use it again.

15. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    Spiderwire.
    Had 80lb Spiderwire on for one night. Had 2 runs, broke 2 lines. First and only time I have ever broke 2 lines in one night.

16. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    Eagle Claw that i got for Cristmas in 12 pound test, stuff had more memmory than anything i have ever seen.

17. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Yes I would have to say that, that Omni Flex Crap is just that"CRAP"!!!

18. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Post a Pic of your self and you will get rep points from me.

19. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i second that ,and will also give rep yer face cant be as as bad lookin as mine. as for line i remember dad stretchin his line ,he'd put the hook in a tree and walk all the line off the spool and prop the rod in the fork of another tree and leave it over night "wallaboom" no more memory

20. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    The worst stuff that I have ever used would be a tie between the Eagle Claw stuff and Spiderwire XXX monofilament. The eagle claw is (as others have said) just like weedeater cord, and the Spiderwire stretches for a country mile, and is weak all over the place. I refuse to use either of them.

P.S. I have not had much trouble with Cajun and Big Game stretching too much over 20 pound test. 30 pound doesn't stretch nearly at all. I love them both.