fishing line vs fishing rod

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by fireman6x9, Jul 21, 2009.

1. fireman6x9

fireman6x9 New Member

State:
    Phenix Cit
    well i have two fishing rods that are medium action and call from 6-17lb test line on them. they are both about three years old but have never failed me. One is a Rhino rod and reel, and the other is a PX(Army post exchange) brand. i bought power pro 50lb test and thinking of spooling them up. will there be any downfalls to this? Or should everything operate the same as it has been?

2. 1 4 Fishing

1 4 Fishing New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    all i know is that i put 40lb on a rod that called for 20lb and i broke my pole. I dont know if I would

3. fireman6x9

fireman6x9 New Member

State:
    Phenix Cit
    So what your saying is that I should just upgrade everything. Just like drag racing....you gotta pay to play. Breaking the pole wont hurt, ill just go with that and take my chances since funds are tight right now to upgrade all three rods and reels. I guess ill just work that drag and try to tire the fish haha

4. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey Jamie, Like putting Strange Axles in a 10 bolt rear end (lets see what breaks next!) I use 7 &1/2 ft. M.H. Rods with 100# power-pro with 80# cajun red leaders & ABU 7000 pro rockets with no problems. Fishin & Drag Racing, GOOD STUFF !!!!!!! :wink:

5. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Without going to a saltwater rod, you are going to be hard pressed to find a rod that is actually rate for lines like most catfisherman use. I suppose there is always a risk. On the other hand, breaking a rod is the best excuse in the world for buying a NEW one :roll_eyes:

6. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    The line weight rating is not the source of potential problems. The line type is, braid will wear grooves into the guides if they are the wrong kind. Price doesn't always equal quality, but I'd bet the Rhino rod guides will last longer with mono.
    I use 20# mono on UglyStik Graphite rods that are rated similar to yours. The specification that can get you in trouble is the lure/bait weight, overloading the rod can have dramatic consequences.
    brokenrod.jpg

7. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    welcome to the boc jaime!!!

8. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    my MH action poles are rated for 14-30 and i use 80# power pro and haven't had a problem, and also havent had any problems with the braid cuttin a groove in the eyelets.

9. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken

That is what you are taking a chance on doing. If you can play the fish with the right drag and finness you may not ever have a problem.

But I've seen them pop and even had blank manufactures say the same thing, your risking breakage with a much Heavier line on a lower rated rod.

10. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I've been known to stretch the rating limit on a particular rod/reel set-up. I might use 20-30# or a 17# set-up.. Mainly for some abrasion resistance insurance..and, If a Nice fish happens by,,, the line has a bit more "Fight" in it...I've not had any of my Abu reels die in action,, but, have broken some rods while fighting a fish,,, and, because they more than likely had been unknowingly damaged previously,, dropped, impacted, knicked, etc.

However, when I put a rig together, I do try and match the components, line, rod/reel etc, as well as any terminal tackle...

I have setups that are 30#, and then I go to 50# and try and match it all up! also, I use Mono. Braid has been the weak link with any particular rig I've used, in the water I fish...