fishing line: to braid, or not to braid....

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by jg_gmc, Feb 2, 2008.

1. jg_gmc

jg_gmc New Member

State:
    west virginia
    ok guys ive searched through the archives, havent found an answer to my question.............im using a cabelas king kat rod with cabelas salt striker spinning reel. its strung with 25lb test berkely big game. my question is whether its better to stick with mono on the spinning reel, or should i go with one of these braided lines. im sure everybody has their favorite line, but is one superior to the other when it comes to the type of reel you are using?

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yes, and no. Alot of castability has to do with the reel. However, most new superlines, such as fireline, powerpro. etc. work fine on spinning reels and cast great! However, alot has to do with how and where you are fishing. I don't recommend fish braids if you are fishing heavy structure. This is my opinion. I have used both, and still do. Half of my outfits are spooled with big game 40lb. mono. and the others with 65lb. power pro. they both have there advantages, but i would rather have the mono when fishing heavy cover! It stands up to abrasion alot better, and i like a little bit of stretch also, when dealing with cover. If you are fishing open water such as in lakes, go with a superline. The castability is greater, and the low stretch is essential for long hooksets! hope this helps some...rollo

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I have a Salt Striker Spinning Reel matched to a 12' Ugly Stik rod. The braid cast very well. I have 65 lb test Power Pro that I will give you. It will never again go on one of my rods. I have 100lb Power Pro that I love. I use it in very heavy structure and have yet to have a problem with it. I have yanked small trees out with it. That said, I would use a mono leader in the rocks. Rocks plus braid equals frustrantion in cut line and no fish.

I also like Berkley Big game Hi Vis Green and Electric blue in 40-60 lb test. You will hold less line than with a braid due to diameter. Braid will also last up to 6 years. 3 years per end.

I also like Cajun Red Mono but can't seem to find it in over 40lb test.

Basically it comes down to personal preference.

4. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Rollo said it all. I use both also depending on conditions.

5. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I like both mono and braid but I use a mono leader with the braid and both can be used on about any kind of reel. I've found that Big Game in 50lb does not cast well in cold weather below freezing but it doesn't effect the braid. The mono also has to be changed often due to memory as well as losing its ability to stretch after being hung up a few times which may make it easier to break. Braid will last a few years which in the long run makes it a little less costly to use.

6. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    another thing to consider is the type of hook(j or circle)you will be using.for me,braid works better w/j hooks-mono works better w/circles.

7. jg_gmc

jg_gmc New Member

State:
    west virginia
    ive been using octopus hooks from sizes 5/0-7/0 depending on the size of my bait. havent really had too many problems with them, but i was looking to upgrade this year...line, types of sinkers, hooks etc..(lol hoping for the big one) thanks again guys for all the help. i plan on goin bait fishing tuesday after work, so wish me luck.

8. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    if you're fishing open water and want max distance and sensativity then it's braid. if you're fishing in cover the you want mono.

9. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    POWER PRO FOR ME BROTHER !!!

10. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Daiwa Saltiga Braid is the best I have ever seen. I fish heavy cover for most of my fishing. I use it in 120# diameter with an 80# dacron braided leader and it works perfect. Its so funny to see that the 120# saltiga is at least half the diameter of the 80# dacron braid. I placed fifth in a tourney last year out of 55 boats and one fish only came out of the tree because of the strong braid, mono would have snapped long before the branch did. I missed 4th place by an ounce but oh well.

11. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Not to braid i use cajun 50lb mono the braid is just to hard on the guides on my rods.