Fishing Line - The Big Lie?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by Nobody Special, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    Today while browsing around in Walmart. I looked at some Berlkey Big Game line. It was priced around $7.99. Then I saw some Big Game "Supreme" that was priced at about $10.99.

I picked up a spool of each in 12 pound test. It said the Supreme was up to 40% stronger. What? If one is stronger than the other, then they are not the same pound test are they? Then I looked at the diameter of the lines. The regular Big Game was .014 diameter and the Supreme was .016. Well, duh! Of course it's stronger. It's thicker. I think they just took 15# test and put a 12# test label on it and jacked the price up 30% higher. What do you think?

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    very good Q grumpy. thats why i use stren. lol.

be intresting to send them an e-mail and ask that vrey Q.

3. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    I never have tried the Big Game Supreme for the same reason. If I want a thicker line I move up in lb. test rating with Big Game regular. Most of my reels are spooled with Remington Power-Lokt 75lb. test with shock leaders. Here is a test done with Trilene Big Game vs. Ande Premium in 50lb. test. Click Here To See The Results
    Abu

4. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Ahhhhhhh Man,I'll still put my ol' Ande up against them all.Love it,always have ,always will. :D :D It's an all around world favorite. :D

5. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    I always did love my Big Game and when it comes to shark fishing you not going to beat it.

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Grumpy. They say there is one born every minute. LOL! They didn't get you.

7. ohiocattracker

ohiocattracker New Member

State:
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Good question i have used Big Game reg for a few years 20-30 lbs test and wondered what the diffrence was in the Supreme besides about 4$.But this year i have heard you guys talk about Cajun Red and Ande and Power pro so i strung a couple ABU6000 7ftcatfish uglysticks poles each with Red and Ande and havent caught anything over 20Lbs this year but i like both lines but i do think the Ande is tougher than Red but the Red cast better.

8. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I buy 1# spools of big game in the 25# and 30# size, its the best value. I had someone try to break my 30# from a snag and he asked if it was 50#. It is very good line, I just use the normal big game. Also just because its thicker doesnt mean its stronger, what they are probably saying is that its stronger as far as abrasion resistance. I do like big game for the price, I use Ande on my salwater bottom fishing rods, I just bought a spool of it to try out. I think next time I spool them up I will put bige game on them, much cheaper and just as strong. :)

9. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    When I had the store, 1/4# spools of Big Game in the solar color was the best selling line and the most shoplifted. I finally had to lock it up it was so popular among the thieves. Now I can't seem to find the solar anywhere. BPS don't even have it. I prefer the hi-vis when I have several lines in the water.

Ever notice how hard it is to break when you're hung up and how easy it breaks when there's a fish on?

Now here's a good one for you about the Stren. They are advertising a reformulated version of Original Stren. How thw hell can they still label it as Original Stren if it's reformulated?

10. ohiocattracker

ohiocattracker New Member

State:
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Yea around here i have never been able to find the HiVis Big Game i always just used green.Reformulated version of Original Stren thats just marketing to get a extra dollar from same old product lol.

11. skippy

skippy New Member

State:
    cincinnati ohio
    I too use big game 25#-30# test, I have never had a problem with this line. Next year I do plan on trying some other lines though...

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    One of the biggest problems I can see with not fishing with a well reknown IGFA rated line like an Ande Tournament would be if I were to consider any of my catches for the record books which doesnt necessarily mean the biggest fish of the species.
    The IGFA has specific rules for fish eligabilty in a weight class.
    They are as follows regarding line weight.

IGFA tests all line and tippet samples submitted with world record claims in accordance with the metric line class designations, which vary slightly from the standard US customary designations. For example, the US customary equivalent of 4 kilograms is 8.81 pounds. Thus, line designated by the manufacturer as 8 lb class line may test up to 8.81 pounds (4 kg) to qualify for an 8 lb line class record. The US customary equivalents in pounds for metric line classes are as follows:

Metric
    US Customary Equivalent

1 kg
    2.20 lb

2 kg
    4.40 lb

3 kg
    6.61 lb

4 kg
    8.81 lb

6 kg
    13.22 lb

8 kg
    17.63 lb

10 kg
    22.04 lb

15 kg
    33.06 lb

24 kg
    52.91 lb

37 kg
    81.57 lb

60 kg
    132.27 lb

Line and tippet samples submitted with record claims are uniformly tested in accordance with Government specifications which have been modified and supplemented by IGFA. Note: IGFA offers a line and tippet testing service for members only.

I see in that test just how close Ande was able to achieve the accuracy of their line test rating with just their Supreme line or low end line.
    I would surmise this is one of the reasons Ande holds over 1200 line class records fresh and saltwater. Thats more then all other line companies combined.

What that test doesnt show in either line is abrasion resistance.
    My feelings on this is that the test was strictly for advertisement purposes and not testing purposes.

If I'm spooling line on a reel I want that line to break at or very near what it's rating is for one simple reason. I know what kind of hand I'm playing with.
    I'm not left wondering if this spool of 50 pound test is going to be the same as the last one and break at 64 pounds.

No line produced by anybody has an exact consistency in strength from one end of a spool to the other. Strengths can vary by POUNDS in several feet of line.
    What Ande will do is decrease those pounds into a more consistent line with little changes along its length.

The only times I choose to use Ande myself is surf fishing and as leader material in catfishing and saltwater for its abrasion resistance and uniformity.

Yes, if I catch a 35 pound flathead on 2 pound line, I want to know that my line sample is going to be right in the ball park for an IGFA record.

13. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    This is straight off of Berkley's website:

This is what they say for regular big game

When things get wild, like when there's a bluefin tuna the size of a Volkswagon® at the end of your line, you need a line with the strength and toughness to meet any challenge. Trilene Big game has the muscle and shock strength to handle even the worst punishment. It features an abrasion resistant formula that runs through the guides with less friction, but has the power to handle big fish in saltwater marathons. In key tensile strength tests, Trilene Big Game outperforms both Ande® and Maxima®.

This is what they say about big game supreme:

Trilen Big Game is a true luxury line - with better cast, more shock resistance and a premium preformance that needs to be experienced to be believed. Big Game Supreme is simply the ultimate - made in the U.S.A. by fishing line experts dedicated to making the strongest fishing line in America. This smooth casting monofilament reduces twist and backlash, and features a controlled-stretch design that acts like a shock absorber against hard-fighting saltwater species. Its special abrasion-resistant formula stands up to the roughest objects, including rocks, kelp and big sharp teeth. Features low-vis, clear steel color that dulls light reflections underwater, but is easy for the angler's eye to pick up. Double shrink wrapped package reduces moisture and preserves freshness until it gets to your reel.

I was right, the big game supreme claims to be more abrasion resistant. I guess just use whatever line gets the job done, I use big game because its relatively cheap compared to other lines and it has never failed on me yet. Now granted my biggest cat to date is only 21#'s but I am sure I can catch one much bigger than that on this line. Just be sure to change your line a lot if you fish in rivers, if you feel the line and feel some nicks in it, its time to change your line. I change mine every 2-3 months with heavy fishing or whenever I loose about 1/4 of my spool capacity.

14. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    Thicker diameter line is usually more abrasion resistant. :) Abu

15. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    yep. i agree abu. i like stren. i used it before and had great results. now ill be using it for a while. i got 4 spools of 30# 3 25# and a spool of 15m # at walmart last winter at clearence of $1 per 400 yard spool. lol. i love it.

16. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    I have several spools of the Stren Hi Impact from Walmart but I didn't get them for a buck a piece. I seen you got some very nice Ambassadeurs from Walmart at great prices too. Wish the Walmart near me would have clearance sales like yours. I can picture it now, at those prices I would have half the fishing section in layaway. :D Abu

17. Sean

Sean New Member

State:
    Phoenix, AZ
    I ordered a reel from tackle direct and they sent me a free 700yard (I think, might be 600 yards or something in between, anyway) spool of stren high impact. The catch, and the reason it was free? It's pink..... Yep, pink....

18. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    It would be nice to get line that cheap. But then again a 23.00 spool of 30# lasts all season for me so its not too too bad.

19. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    I use spiderwire EZ 20lb test and I like it fine for now. I sure wish I could get some of that Pink line. I will try to use some heavier line next year.