Fishing Line Testing / DH & Katfshn50

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by DeerHunter01, Mar 13, 2006.

1. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Several people have ask me for this test that we did last year so I looked it up under the old board and brought it here for you all to look at, I hope this helps.

Well last year while Big George was here visiting me we thought we would do some testing of fishing line that we both had. And I would like to share the results with you !!

1. 40 # P-Line CXX X-Tra Strong ( Fluorescent Green )

Broke on first pull - 32 # Pounds
    Second Pull - 23 # Pounds
    ---------------------------------------------

2. IronSilk 40 # ( Solar Mint )

Broke on First Pull - 24 # Pounds
    Second Pull - 15 # Pounds
    --------------------------------------------

IronSilk 20 # ( Solar Mint )

Broke on First Pull - 14 # Pounds
    Second Pull - 5 # Pounds
    ---------------------------------------------

3. Trilene Big Cat 40 # Pounds ( Fluorescent Green )

Broke on first pull - 28 # Pounds
    Second Pull - 18 # Pounds

----------------------------------------------

4. Trilene Big Game Solar Green 40 # pounds ( Green )

Broke on First Pull - 45 # Pounds
    Second Pull - 38 # Pounds

-----------------------------------------------

Tirlene Big Game 20 # Pounds ( Clear )

Broke First Pull - 18 # Pounds
    Second Pull - 15 # Pounds
    -------------------------------------------------

Cajun line 20# Pounds

Broke first pull - 13 # Pounds
    Second Pull - 10 # Pounds
    -------------------------------------------------

Testing was done making a a loop in both ends of Brand New line off of spools of fishing line, Hooked one end on a Berkley Digital Scale # 50 Pound. and did a slow Pull until the line broke, At no time did any of the knots break, the break was in the middle of the line with about three feet between the ends, the second pull after line was stretched it was re-tied and pulled again.

I have had a couple of Fish break the line after catching a few and thought that it would be a good Idea to test it and see what happens.

After we were done doing the testing, we took our fishing poles that we used and took the first 6 feet off the line and did a pull test, Only one line was even close to what it was rated at. and that was the Trilene Big Game Solar Green Line it broke at 32 # pounds on first Break.
    The rest of the lines Broke under # 10 pounds, This test really woke Big George and myself up to fishing line and what there rated at.

I will tell you this much, after the test I did order a 4440 yard spool of the Trilene Big Game Solar Green #40 Lb, fishing line for all of our poles.

As of March 2006, I am still using Berkley Big Game Trilene Solar Green #40 Test.
    Now one thing you will notice that we did this test out of the water and not in it. So I figured if it worked out of the water then it would be stronger in the water.

2. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Very good information! It is good to know for a fact, what I always suspected! Too bad power pro was'nt in the group tested!

3. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Deltalover

I will try and do a test on Power Pro this week if I can and get back with you on it. I didn't have any at the house when we did this that I can remember but your right I should of done the Power Pro.

4. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

If you need some PowerPro samples, shoot me an PM with your full name and address and I can send you samples in 100#, 65#, 50#, plus a few smaller ones I can't remember.

5. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    DH, Thanks for posting the test results. I always wondered about the actual strength of fishing line. Looking forward to see how the Power Pro does.

6. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    DH, GREAT post, and great information.

Kudo's go to you and George.

Now, if you are doing requests, got 2 for ya. Spiderwire 20# and cajun red 10#

7. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    Can you also test Trilene big game 25# test? I use that a lot

8. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    Wow, thanks for sharing. We use different lines and never test them. Good info and thought.:)

9. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    How exactly did yall do this test? id like to see a test on some Ande

10. cat daddy 791

cat daddy 791 New Member

State:
    Kansas- Wichita
    Just Out Of Curiosity, Was The Line You Tested New Out Of The Box Or Line You Had Pulled From Reels That Were In Normal Use? I Ask Because Your Results Could Yield Different Results If Some Was New And Some Wasn't, Right?

11. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Thanks, this is great needed info!! ;)

12. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Tony,Josh and James. Read DH's post and ya will see how we did it. It sure as hell wasn't rocket science. LOL!

Dave. It was rite outa the box, new spool.

13. Chuckb

Chuckb New Member

State:
    Pana Illinois
    If my recallection serves me right, this is about the same time ol Big George quit toutin that ironsilk quite as much lol. :rolleyes:

14. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Yes sir! Shyed me away from it real quick! LOL!

15. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    :conc-big: missed that part

16. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Oh no not again! Read the first post on the first page for all the info. LOL I had to do that.

17. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    Well I got out some new line I picked up a couple weeks ago and this is the results I got by tieing one end to the railing on my balcony and makeing a loop on the other end for my digital scale....

Ande 30# clear
    first pull 26lbs second pull 24lbs

Suffix Siege 20# Smoke Green
    first pull 23lbs second pull 20lbs

Ive been useing Ande for a while really liked it. I had bought the Suffix just to try it out on one reel and like it alot better, But like it even better after my test. Ill be heading to BPS next week for some Suffix which will be going on all my reels.

18. Tellico00

Tellico00 New Member

State:
    Collierville, T
    Thanks for the info it is really good info as it is time to respool.

The Power Pro test will be interesting

19. Dnedster

Dnedster New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Line is made to break at a set lb pull aks breaking strength Ande is made for line class records IE It will break UNDER it's test weight. That is for records line class or worlds if you want Tough line go to Berkley big game, spider wire or any braid.

20. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I would love to see power pro testing done as well. I would also like to see some kind of abrasion test done. I think Whistler did one once. Something like that would be helpful also. :)