Fishing line # test question.

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by tomcat85, Nov 27, 2006.

1. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    i have a reel that holds 20-40lb test line can i put 15lb test line on it? just wondering.

2. UK_fisherman

UK_fisherman New Member

State:
    Kent, UK
    Tom

theres no reason why you can't put 15lb line on your reel.

The fact that it may say 20-40lb line and how much of them will go on the spool is there as a guide.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Like Peter said you will be fine. I have a few reels that I put lighter than rated for line on with no problems. Just make sure your drag isn't to high are you will get a lot of snapped lines.

4. Anguluva

Anguluva New Member

State:
    Sri Lanka
    In most cases and for most reels (talking multipliers here) a thinner line than mentioned by the manufacturer should be no problem, however, some reels such as the older Penns (Penn Squidder, Penn No. 9, etc) and some of the larger Ambassadeurs (7000) have a rather wide gap where the spool fits into the frame. The thinner diameter line can get into this space between the spool and the frame which results in a breakoff.
    For example I spooled up with .40mm line (#15) mono on my Swedish made Ambassadeur 7000 CS Pro Rocket and after a few casts had the line go into the spool/frame space and it broke off. I re spooled with .50mm line (#25) and it was absolutely fine. So take note.

5. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    What you said is sure true.I found out the hard way about using to light a line on a Penn 209.Like you said it gets caught and it's a pain to get untangled. Use bigger line.
    Now after saying all that I want to Welcome you to the BOC FAMILY. A great place to hang out and learn a lot. Kick back and enjoy .And keep those Posts a comin.Looking forward to reading them. AGAIN WELCOME!!

6. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    Thanks guys. definately helpful advice. i appreciate it!

7. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    I use 15# with one of my 7000's and have never had a problem but I belive that is as small as i would go on it.

Wheelmobile07

8. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Im not being a smart donkey and really mean no dis-repect.. Im just curious why you would run light line on a 7000 ?? Generally, the 7K's are made for big game, so why the light line as opposed to downsizing your reel??

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Tim.This is a very common practice in some types of saltwater fishing where you wish to have many yards of line on a reel.Many of your pelagic species can strip off enormous amounts of line very quickly at 30 to 50 mph.Star drags reels often destruct when the unknowing attempt to forcefully engage a reel at these speeds.The 7000 is a big game reel.I would think that it is being done so with the line quite often with it.Many of your Penn reels have and still are offered in various line capacities in the same basic reel.I have a Penn 345 GTI rated for 375 yards of 50 lb.mono.I have it spooled with 600 yards of 30 lb.mono.on a 7 ft.MH 15-50 lb.line rating rod.This rig can be used for Cat fishing,Striped Bass,carp,Sturgeon in freshwater and for drum,grouper to the pelagic in saltwater.Perfection for none but a great universal for all.It could get even wider ranged with braid,but I have no present use for such.I also have a couple of Gorillas to use it for me.My son and grandson.Their knuckles stay raw from dragging the ground like mine do.I just don;t have the strength anymore.Also.A over sized reels larger drag works wonders when it comes to the stress and enormous heat that can be generated in a long drawn out battle with a large or fast fish. peewee