Fishing Line On the James River

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by justlearning, Mar 2, 2008.

1. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Just curious what type and LB test fishing line most are using on the James River since we all know that next Blue Cat could be 100 pounds or more. Captain Hugh doesn't like braid at all and says the mono has a much better abrasion factor. I don't use anything less than 40 lb test. I've been told clear mono is stronger and more flexible than colors.

So the questions are:
    • What pound test?
    • Type?
    • Favorite Brand?
    • Colors?
    • What's the minimum yards of line you will have on a reel?
    Thanks.....Jerry

2. hillbeach

hillbeach New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Suffux 65# braid w/ 60# mono leader. Have not broke off in open water but have when fish gets in structure.

3. BROWNING7MMMAG

BROWNING7MMMAG New Member

State:
    VIRGINIA
    STREN HIGH IMPACT 30 MAIN 40 LEADER .HAVE NEVER BROKE A FISH OFF HAVE CAUGHT THEM UP TO 85 LBS WITH NO PROBLEM.

4. Team StrayKatz

Team StrayKatz New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I use 80lb Spider Wire and change it yearly. We use an 80lb mono leader.Our biggest to date is a 64lb so our setup hasnt really been tested yet .We have not had any problems with this line at all .

5. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I use Berkely Big Game 40 lb test mainline and Berkely 80 for my leaders. I have broken off a few. Operator error! My fault, got sloppy, nicks in my main line.

6. blacksheep

blacksheep New Member

State:
    NC
    50lb test,,,,, mono,,,,,SUFIX,,,,,clear,,,250yds...... and hope for the best...

7. jwfish

jwfish New Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    I use 30 and 40 lb trileine big game main line and forocarbon 60 lb leader which does not nick or fray,have not lost a fish with this set up.

8. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Berkley Big Game 40lb mono, dark green.

Berkley Monofilament leader, clear, 60lb test

Line has never broken on me yet.

The 40lb test does nick quite a bit as I'm always changing it, but it's all I've ever used so I can't compare to another brand.

9. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Power pro 30lb, I'll give that a try on one of my rods. It seem to get good reviews in the line review on the forum.

10. cameron_krazie

cameron_krazie New Member

State:
    virginia
    300 yards of 65# red power pro on all my penn 209's. 60# clear ande mono for my leader. Never had a line break. Had to cut once when I was hung, but nver had one break....

11. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Thanks guys for taking the time to respond to the post. I have been using a variety of different lines and over fill most the reels just a tad. For now I

• have 4 reels with 50 lb test, green, Power Pro,
    • one with 80 lb test, yellow, Power Pro,
    • one with 80 lb test, green/white, Dacron,
    • one with, 40 lb test, electric green, Hi Test, Berkley Big Game
    • one with 40 lb test , camoueflaged, Premium Bass Pro Line
    I have a mixture of leaders tied, all hooks snelled with either 80 lb test , camoueflaged, Premium Bass Pro Line or with 80 lb test, green/white, Dacron. Leader length varies from 18-30". Just started using the Dacron a couple months ago....I had read several different people were using it so I thought I would give it a shot...

Jerry

12. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    How often does braid need to be changed? I'm interested in it, but it's so costly, like half the cost of a reel! If I have to change it out each year like mono, I'm not making the switch.

13. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Wow Josh. I just took about 80 bucks in 65lb power pro off of my reels and threw it in the trash can. Most of it was still fresh. I'd have held on to it for you...

I went to it a couple of years ago thinking it would be the ticket, but quickly found out that it is VERY bad in terms of abrasion resistance. I also had issues with it digging into itself and causing casting problems, and my terminal tackle/bait got tangled a lot because it's so limp.

I fish around junk a lot. If my bait's not "in" something on the bottom I'm not happy :wink: Because of the way I fish, I've broken off a lot of fish due, mainly, to the braid.

I've moved on to 50 pound big game.

14. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I just changed mine after 3 years of 3 day per week fishing 8 months. I probably could have stretched it to 4. After 2 years I reversed it.

15. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Shawn...are you at the James Now???...see you on line....how's the fishing??

Jerry

16. cataholic999

cataholic999 New Member

State:
    virginia
    50lb big game mono main line and 100lb leader! After 13yrs of loosing fish this has been the best combo yet on Va tidal rivers for me. I have tried all kinds of braid and mono. I know a few pro's that swear all you need is 30lb mono w/ 80lb leaders. I fish alot of heavy structure and anchor very very close to it. Doing this I can't let a fish run and pull drag. First off they will pull me back into the structure and secondly I have the upper hand pulling them out with a tighter drag setting. I use a 100lb leader b/k of the line rubbing the wood, rocksand fish winding up in it. Also when you are fishing structure in 100' of water in 3mph current is a safe bet you'll never see that 70lb fish w/o the larger line! I caught a 15' tree w/ root ball drifting down the river last week at flowerdew. I could not reel it in w/o thumbing the spool, but I could hold it there as long as I wanted. I'd say it was 800lb's. I had a hard time breaking it off too.lol The majority of the line breaks I have are because of the barnicals on the wood shreading my line not the fish breaking it from hitting the wood.. This setup put 250 citations in the boat last year and 50+ this year so it works for me! Dont forget the TEAM CATFISH Double action hooks

17. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Josh I haven't heard anyone say.....look like I remember someone saying the sun (ultraviolet rays) doesn't effect braid like it does mono. Hope someone else has an answer better than this one...

Jerry

18. 60lbclub

60lbclub New Member

State:
    virginia
    30# p-line hasnt failed yet............

got some new orange suffix this weekend....hoping to try it out soon

19. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Hmmm - I posted to this thread earlier today but it's gone. Must not have saved it or something.

Josh, braid isn't worth the expense IMO. The only benefit you get fishing where you're fishing is in keeping your bait on the bottom easier in the 70 foot plus holes. More weight will do the same thing :wink:

I just pulled $80 in braid off my reels and threw it in the trash. It was still fine - I could have saved it for you. I've broken off way too many fish since going to it when I hooked up around pilings or trees.

It is good for a couple of years as loanwizard posted, then you can just reverse it.

50lb Big game is the ticket!

...Now if cataholic would just call me...

20. muzkrat

muzkrat New Member

State:
    va.
    i put 40 lb big game mono line with 80 lb andes leaders on my hawg reels. not tested yet but hope to give them a workout friday. previous setup was 25 lb big game mono with 60 lb leaders, this setup worked fine for me at buggs. decided to follow everyones advise and step it up some for the james.