Fishing line on abu garcia 6500 c3

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by ohio catfisherman, Mar 15, 2007.

1. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i was wondering if anyone could help me out on what line to use on a abu garcia 6500 c3 i was looking towards ande mono 25 pound test do you think that would be a good choice

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I put 20lbs Big Game on mine and I like it. I have thougth of putting anything heaver due to what I catch 20lbs will easily handle it.

3. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i was using 30lb big game on my 6500 but i switched to 17lb Stren for casting distance. I like it much better that way. I have my drag set right and dont need to worry about breaking it.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Luke 20-30# Big Game should get the job done for you.I have a lot of confidence in Berkley Big Game and because of my eyesight and fishing at night I have used the Solar line the last few years, and love it.:lol:

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Ande is a great line. Casts well, has good abrasion resistance, and is a good price. Big Game is great also. I'm about to spool up Suffix in 25 lb test on a Shimano TR200, it'll take about 275 yards of the stuff. The 6500 should hold over 175 yds of the 25 lb Ande or Big Game.

6. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The size line you put on your reel has to be related to the type of fishing you do. If you fish from a boat 20-40 if fine. If you only bank fish and need max distance, then 20-40 will not do it for you. I bank fish in the Mississippi around the Alton Dam with 12' rods and 7000C3's, so I need distance and with advice from Tiny, I spool with Break Away 25lb mono which has the diameter of 17lb mono. I could spool the 7000 with 50-80 pound mono or braid, but if I have to cast for distance, the story changes.

7. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have mine filled with 15 pound Big Game. Personally, I would not go above 20 on a 6500. I also highly recommend the Big Game. It's much better stuff than Ande - stronger, more manageable, more abrasion resistant, etc.

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I have 3 of mine filled up with Big Game 30lb Electric Blue. It works great for them.

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    got ot agree with ya. i use 25# stren high impact mono. works like a charm.

10. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    The most I would go is 20 lb mono with the 6500 series reel or consider using braid or Fireline.

11. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    For years I only used 17-20 pound line. Then I seen a 660 yard spool of 30 lb mossy oak on sale and decided to try it. So far so good casts about the same. I have 65lb power pro on another 6500.

12. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I would stick with 20lb test, on the 6500C3.

13. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    I use 30 lb hybrid line on my 6500's. It is thinner than regular mono and the 6500 will hold plenty.

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Depends of what you're trying to do with the reel/rod/line combo. If you're trying to get maximum distance in casting, I would recommend not going over the diameter of 14# mono. If you're going to be fishing logjams or such places, where you need to be able to turn a heavy fish before it wraps you up and breaks off, you need heavy line. If you're fishing heavy current from a boat, you can always chase the fish, but if you're bank fishing, you need heavy line, and a lot of it; I've seen Penn 309s loaded with 50# mono get spooled while bank fishing below the powerhouse at Dardanelle on the Arkansas River. I've got my 6500 spooled with 80# PowerPro, and I plan on changing to 50# PowerPro to get even better casting distance. Incidentally, when using expensive braided superline, I like to use a lighter test mono leader so any breakoffs will occur in the leader area rather than breaking off some of the superline.

15. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    Luke,
    My wife isnt a great fiserwoman but we were at a lake in ohio and she caught a 32#er on a 17lb mono sten.She fought it for a while but she[with my expertize] was able to land it.I also have 20-30lb test line on all of mine.they work well...good luck

16. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    I like Stren and love Blakemore Reel Lube.

17. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I use 30 lb. ande on all my 6000 and 6500 reels with no problems.

18. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Best all around mono is a 20lb test for the 6500c3. It has reasonably good abrasion resistance, casts well, and there are a lot of good lines out there. I typically use Big Game on mine, but, for grins, and the fact it was $1 less expensive, put on Cajun Red the other night. One time out and it looks like it may become a favorite.

If you need heavier line, go with a braided. Either 50 or 65 lb test will do the trick.

19. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    It's funny to me, 90% of us will give you the same answer about what brand of reel and which series of rod we recommend, but ask about line and you'll get as many different answers as there are brands of line!

Okay, for my 0.02, I use 50lb. Power Pro Hi-Vis on my 6500's. I've used Cajun Red 20lb. mono and liked it a lot, but its not easy to see a night. I spooled a 7000 with Berkley Big Game 20lb. solar green and tried it the other night. Personally I couldn't see it very well by the lantern. It might just be my tired eye's though. It's very visible in the daylight.

After reading the other Brothers opinions and recommendations I can tell you that I don't think youv'e gotten any bad advice. Emmm, Choices Choises. Doug the Dinkslayer

20. weekendredneck69

weekendredneck69 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    My personal favorite is Cajun! I have it on all my reels... Even my 6500C3 Black Cat... I use 20# on my 6500C3 and 30# on my 7000C3... I dont like to use anyhting over 30# ( got to give'em a chance ) plus like said in a previous post if you have your drag set right, your good to go!! Im very well satisfied w/ my cajun line.. Plus it looks kinda perty on some of my set ups. LOL...

Bazil