Fishing Line - Monofilament, standard braided or one of the newer super lines?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by RetiredToFish, Jan 19, 2008.

1. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    I am sure some time in the past the discussion of line has been presented, but for us Newbies ... One more time. Do you prefer Monofilament, standard braided or one of the newer lines like Spider Wire and Why? And are there any circumstances where you will use one line and another time a different line? Go for it guys ... it is going to a long cold day today!

2. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i use 100 # power pro have for 2 years love it ,strong ,u can break it if u need to. no streach ,good against abraisen

3. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    CATFISHCRAZY256 ..... Is that a mono line or braided ... I have heard of it, but never used it or even seen it on the shelf ........??????

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Great thread Garry. Yes, I use different lines for different situations. River fishing I prefer Berkely Big Game 40lb. mono. The reason behind this is, when dealing with rocks, and numerous logjams etc. I think mono holds up better, and can absorb more abrasion then other lines such as you superlines, and braids. Also, i have found over the years, that stretch is not always a bad thing. Stretch that mono gives can actually give you "a second chance" lol.. many braids don't offer this due to their low-no stretch capabilitys. What i mean is stretch when dealing with alot of structure, a quality fish, and the limited amount of time sometimes to make a decision when fighting! I like the mono over the braid, because there have been times where i have had to adjust my drag during the fight, and also had to steer these fish from heavy cover adding extra pressure. Braids don't allow for this composation! If your drag is too tight esp. on the hookset of a big fish, and you need to adjust..NIGHT..NIGHT...Its all over! Now, when I fish open water such as lakes I use a braid..Power Pro 65lb. test. The reasons are, the new superlines allow for greater casting distance! I use longer poles when I lake fish, this allows for a more solid hookset to cover distance due to the low stretch, and I can place baits farther out that mono simply wouldn't allow. Structure in the lake is limited, nothing like the river. I simply back my drags down lower than they should be, put my thumb on the spool on the hookset, and then tighten accordingly. I think mono has its place and time, and braids, and the new high tech supers as well. It all comes down to how you fish them, where you fish them, and most importantly if you know how to fish the line..you have to know the capabilitys of the line or braid you are using! goodluck..rollo

5. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Well since Im pretty close to poor:smile2: I use Big Game 20# mono on my 6500's and 40# on my 9000. I have never tried braid so I really dont have an opinion on that.

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i would like to add, if i do decide to use the braid on the river, usually when i use slip-floats! These floats work great with the Power Pro, I always use a leader line to the hook that is mono aroung 15 inches or so. Kinda like a shock absorber!! lol,,,rollo

7. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    I use Mason braided big cat line. It's availible up to 108# test. I use 54 or 63 for my main line and 96 for the leader. The line is waterproof so it will last a while and super strong. When S-Man and I went to Marietta we were fishing the Ohio, I got hung up and Skip tried the wrap around the reel trick to break me off. Every time he yanked all it did was move the boat so we had to cut the line.

8. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    Since you brought up slip floats I forgot to mention that I will switch to mono when using slip floats. You can't move the stop knot up and down on the Mason line as easily as the mono.

9. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I use mono 30# big game

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use 20-lb big game mono...I need to make long cast or I would up the poundage...I usally am not fishing really snaggy areas either.

11. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mono or co-polymer. done the "braid" thing for one season and srtipped it all off half way through the summer. couldnt stand it!

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    hey dink, what line do you use through the ice? i use mono. wondering what you prefer lb. wise, and type of line for them channels.. thanks, rollo

13. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    ":0a27:with Jason 110%"
    I was about to chime in & give my thoughts on it, but I think that this post said everthing I wanted to say and more.
    :wink:

14. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I use mono, and I have used hy-bird in the past. I never have used any of the braids.

15. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    i use mono only, i have tried the braids and between knot problems and having to cut on snags when i couldnt break it, i just got fed up with the braided line i use either 20 or 25 lb big game now, river or lakes

16. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    for those of you that don't like to run braid, and like mono, i used to run a line called Stren magnathin.. i wanted the long castability on my surf rods, and the new supers weren't available then, honestly im not a big Stren fan, but it was a decent line for me. i ran 30lb. test, i think the diameter was about what normal 17 pound would be. smaller diameter isn't the best choice for dealing with places with rock etc. it can't withstand as much abrasion as a larger line, but if you fish it accordingly it was alright. it held up to some really nice fish.. just a thought, maybe someone would like to check it out..:wink: rollo

17. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    on my tip-ups i use for saugeye and channels i just use the old-school black dacron, about 30lb test. on r+r i use 15lb test big game.

18. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    40 lb. PowerPro or Spiderwire braid on my big rigs. 8-10 lb. Mono on my smaller channel/other rigs.