Fishing Line - How often do you replace yours?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by waterwalker, Apr 1, 2006.

1. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Fishing line is the most critical part of any fishing rig, followed very closely
    by the hooks we use. Now I know every man or women that fishes have
    their own preferences for the line they use and their reasons. I would like
    to know how often do you replace it, excluding granny knots, backlashes
    ( hate when that happens ), kinks etc. Every season...or other.

2. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    I try to replace mine every three to six months if I am not Lazy :)

Hope this helps

3. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    My fav is Maxima if I can find it. Stren xt if not. I change mine about every 2 to 3 weeks because I live on the river and fish 3 or 4 times a week where there are lots of snags. It gets used up quick.

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I will inspect and cut off the last 10 yards or so after each trip if necessary. As far as respoolin prior to each season or once a year seems to be often enough.

5. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    UV, sunlight is what really take it's toll on fishing line.

6. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a27:
    That's the same system that I use - At the end of each fishing trip 10 to 20 yards of the come off. At the end of about 7 or 8 trips - it's time to respool. :)

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool:
    (Shaina)

7. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :) I usually try to change once a year(unless I find a new type line I want to try.I use Cajin Red Line) good luck this year everybody.

8. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    I use braided I do mostly night fishing and keep them stored out of the sun I replace the line every 4 years but half way through that I unspool it and reverse it.

9. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i just change mine once a year

10. graybeard

graybeard New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Ten lb. test and up, usually just once a year, unless spool gets low. 4-8 lb, I put new on in the spring, and change it in August before we go on our annual Minnesota panfishing trip.

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    About every other trip. As many birdnests as I get cinched by the 5 ounce weight, your not gonna get many of them out. When I rare back to chunk it, I chunk it... I don't really backlash that much, but do truthfully replace the line about every two or three trips. I like to keep it close to the top of the spool like the instructions say. Have only tried to splice line once, but think I may try that and save a little more $$$.

12. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Twice a year even if it still looks good. I dont want to lose that big one I hope to get someday.

13. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    About every 3d fish'n trip I re-line my reels, but I only replace about 100yds of new line, strip down to the backing and splice it with a blood knot. I do re-tie my knots after a couple of fish and check often the last few yards and cut off if rough.

14. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I respool yearly, but I hold the line as I reel in and remove any that feels rough. After each day I cut off a rod lenght or more. Sometimes I have to respool in mid season if the line is taking abuse.

I always insure the junk line finds its home in the landfill and not the lake though.

15. bmullikin32

bmullikin32 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I change my line at least twice a year but i fish almost every weekend

16. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    I replace mine about every 4 months or so. I like spiderwire 30Lb braided, and omniflex 30Lb.

17. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    On a couple poles, I haven't changed the line in 3 years. What I do is tie the line to something I pull on, unreel the line to the end and pull on it to what I think the line rateing is. If seems alright, I'll fish with it. It isn't like I am mountain climbing:smile2:

18. lightningmetal10

lightningmetal10 New Member

State:
    new york
    I change every month or two because i am always fishing and use up my line quickly with ruitine things....

19. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    I can only afford to replace mine once every year as it take 4 3# spools to replace the line on all my reels 1 80#, 150#, 1 30#, 1 20# and 1 12# that came to $137 this year along in just line.

20. dixiedrifter

dixiedrifter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Since I fish with cheapo spin casters (for now) and in the river (lots of snags) I am changing line about every 2-3 trips.