Fishing line for Carp

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by whiskers, Feb 8, 2006.

1. whiskers

whiskers New Member

State:
    colorado
    I'm looking for a good line that can hold a 30 pound carp... I was wondering if anybody had an idea of a good brand of line for slide sinker fishing that is in an afordable price range.

2. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    Ive landed all my carp with just 12 lb Berkley big game line ...that is with the right rod

3. whiskers

whiskers New Member

State:
    colorado
    im talking about carp that can snap 17 pound test even after fighting them for 15+ minutes!

4. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    try either strem manga flex 25lb or cajun ren in 20lb both will hold fish over 35+ lbs

5. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    The Magna Flex or Big Game lines would be my call. Cajun Red is tough stuff, but doesn't have good feel and has a TON of memory! I prefer a lighter line myself, depending on rig, because if carp feel any weight on a bait, they will often just drop the bait. It's really about the right rod in combination with the line. I've caught fish over 10lbs on 4# line, but it's all in playing the fish, even with heavy line you can't get in a rush. A big carp will put it to the floor and break like that's tested twice the weight of the fish you are fighting. I've seen people have break-offs with 3-4lb. fish on 12lb. line!

6. ScottWiseman

ScottWiseman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    I have caught many carp over 20 lbs on 12 lb line. It is all in your drag and not horsing the fish. Additionally...use a hair rig to catch carp and I guarantee you will have more hookups. To see the hair rig in action, go to google and type in "hair rig for carp". I have never used anything since.

7. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I too use berkley big game 12# for most of my rods... if the fish is snapping 17 lb test line then you did something wrong or the fish found something underwater to cut you off on...

8. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    If you can get to Bass Pro shope they have a ery wide range of lines for all types of fish. Walmart has some good lines also even though I don't like to send anyone there.

9. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    What is a hair rig????? I will be fishing for carp in the spring,after I go for Catfish,of course!!:p

10. ScottWiseman

ScottWiseman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Here is a pic of a hair rig. Essentially, a carp when eating, is constantly sucking in and blowing out. When they suck in the hair rig (or the bait on the hair rig), the attached hook gets caught in the mouth when it blows it back out. Works every time. I use whole kernel corn on my rig.

Attached Files:

11. NYRiverRat

NYRiverRat New Member

State:
    New York
    I usually use 10 or 12lb big game or Ande (12lb) when carp fishing. But, i do also use 6 and 8 lb XT on occasion and have had great luck. Its all about the lenght of your rod and most important, your Drag. J

12. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I use 17# Stren. A pay lake I sometimes go to has huge carp and stock monster cat.... Its all in using your pole and drag to work the fish, not your arms.....
    I use older Zebco 33's and do great with em.
    I fish loose line, no weights and treble hook. Cover your hook with bait so no barbs showing. Throw it out, straighten your line like your tight line, then open bail/push button etc. When lines starts running, pick up pole, click the reel, let line tighten and set hook. I dont miss many since using this method.
    Carp are skiddish, if they feel anything they spit it out.

If they are snapping your line, loosen your drag a bit...

13. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    I fish mostly late evening and at night, so my favorite line is Stren Gold 12#this shows up very good at night and the carp don't seem to mind the gold color.Also this is a very strong line,only time I break off is when I get in a hurry tying knots.I use it on a 6ft. 30 year old glass rod and Diawa 1300C spinning reel. Reel does have a good drag so this helps.

14. Madtownangler

Madtownangler New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I use 50 # Power Pro and a Palomar knot. I has the same diameter as 12# mono.

15. sinjin

sinjin New Member

State:
    Los Angeles, CA
    For mono, try Izorline if you can find it. This brand of line is used often for 300+lbs tuna down in Mexican waters. If not, Ande has always been cheap and great for me. Ande has set so many world records so they have to be given some credit. Sunline is also great, however, difficult to find since it is imported from Japan.

16. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    That hair rig is the way to go for carp and shows a line technique that works well. Use the mono you have (12 to 25lb test) and try using a leader of a softer braided line (not the thin braid necessarily) for its flexibility. A key really is a flexible rod (as long as possible) to take up the shock when they change their mind about you and the net! A friend of mine who mainly catches large cats calls them rod breakers for their habit of comming to the boat, then running at full speed right under the boat. I have caught 20 to 25 lb carp on 6lb line with a very flexible rod and the correct drag setting, in a lake. I wish that I could show you how to tie the "Hair rig" as it is a great way to catch fish with corn or dough balls. Hannibal Mike

17. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    Hannibal Mike, Great Reply! The info is right on the money. The flexibility of your rod when Carp fishing along with the Drag that is set to give properly will place fish on the bank or the boat. The Hair Rig is an inovation from years of trial an error. It's functionality will greatly inmprove your catch rate.

HOPPY4

18. ibohunter

ibohunter New Member

State:
    southeast, pa
    I always use 17# and have no trouble, you need a good drag and some patience

19. chesapeakecarper

chesapeakecarper New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I use Big Game almost exclusively...12-17 range. I've pulled 30+lb carp from rocky rivers with this strength. Yes, success is properly playing the fish and good line/knot condition, not necessarily the line test. Ease off the drag, longer rods for bank fishin help as shock absorbers for sudden runs (I like Cabelas Predators), easy lean-back hook strikes for carp soft mouths vs rippin' bass hook strikes. I'm experimenting with BG Hi Vis this year for better line visibility and control, esp at night. Carp are resistance shy on the bite, but not line shy unless they rub against nearly invisible line and it spooks them. I have one rod I'm experimenting w/Power Pro braid but have not used it much yet to say one way or another.