Fishing Line for a Heavy Setup

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by Addicted2Cats, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Addicted2Cats

Addicted2Cats New Member

State:
    West Chester, Ohio
    I am currently getting ready a 10' heavy action rad with a Abu 6500 C3 reel. I only have 30' test trilien smooth catsing (Not XL or Big Game) I was wondering if I will not be able to get the full use out of my sutup by using that line. The lake I fish has very large fish and rumored to have 100+ pound blues. The only bad thing about that lake it is has a no braided line rule. Any suggestions on a good line for my sutup?

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    you should be fine with that line. if im thinking about the same "place" (cp2?) then you dont need to worry about snags.

3. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    30# should be just fine for a lake with little or no snags.

IF all your knots are great, plus 90% I don't think YOU could hold on to the rod with 26 lbs of pressure. Keep in mind to ALWAYS check out your drag every time you go fishing.

Tie off 26#s and just try to pick it up with your rod, he hee.

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I agree sounds like 30# should do just fine. On another note, never heard of lakes having rules against braid.

5. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    neither have i. i'd like to know their reasoning behind that.

6. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yea why dont they allow braid? I have never heard of that either. Id say that sounds strong enough, just dont push it too hard if you hook a nice one, or go up to like 40 lbs or something if you see it necessary, but then you dont have as much line. I would like to know about the no braid rule though. That seems weird.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    First of all, check the drag system on your 6500. I bought one new, and can't tighten the drag enough to pull in a 10# blue against swift current, even when the fish isn't fighting. Either tie the end of your line to something solid or tie it to a stick and let someone hold the stick; then start pulling with the rod, and gradually tightening the drag. If you find your drag system lacking, there are aftermarket drag systems that are supposed to be much more effective.
    Another problem you have with the 6500 is small line capacity. I first loaded mine with 50# line, then immediately took it off before I ever tried casting with it, because I knew I didn't have enough line to make a decent cast. I changed to 30# mono, and I could still cast about 3/4 of the line off the reel on a long cast. I switched to 18# diameter PowerPro, and I can still cast about 1/2 the line off. I plan to switch to 12# diameter PowerPro, which should work well for me.
    From drooling through catfishing catalogs, I see that there are some mono-type 'superlines' that have a smaller than normal diameter, but I've never used any of them, even just for leader, so I can't help you there. Hopefully someone on the board will respond about that.

8. wpg_catfisher

wpg_catfisher New Member

State:
    manitoba
    if your abu was brand new the drag disc's just needed to be broken in when those reels are new there's a fair bit for grease on the discs u can either manually break them in by just using them or you can take the discs out wipe the grease off and roughen them up with a little emery paper