Fishing line color combinations - Have you tried this?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by flathead_ky, Mar 24, 2006.

1. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I am going to start using 20 lb Berkley Big Game mono clear, and for my leader I am going to use 20 lb Berkley Big Game in green. Has anyone tried this before and have any success?

2. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Ive used the geen and liked it pretty well.I think it would be fine to use,i dont think cats really care one way or the other about the color of the line.I used to think so but the more i fish the more i see that color dosent matter much.I love the cajun red line myself but what you got there should do the trick.

3. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I can agree with everything there. I do like the big game green very well, and it works great in stained/algaed water where it is green or has floating organisms in it. The clear is also a good main line, since the light just passes through it mostly. I think it would do fine, although I do also like Cajun Red. If you get an opportunity, try that out too.

4. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the replies guys. I cant wait to hit the water for cats this year, but this weather will need to straighten up first!:)

5. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    I've tried the red, blue, yellow, clear monos but I use the Berkley Big Game green. From my experience it offers the best and most consistant performance. Low memory, less visible, abrasion resistant, on and on. Mud is basically non-existant in the rivers here; the same to be said for brush piles. We do have Rocks, bolders, shells, reefs, ledges all of which spell trouble if you do much bottom fishing. I buy the Berkley in spools of 1480yds. usually minimum 40lb test. I throw that at 30-70+lb. kings, sturgeon, steel head, catfish. No complaints here.
    Don

To the world you may be just a person but to a person you may be the world.

6. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    i use stren magna flex saltwater in 25 lb and i have use it in all sorts of water color and have done well in all water clarities i think it is more personal prefference i hopr this helps

7. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I like to use 6lb Berkley Transition line and for leader I'll use that cajun red or Stren 6-8lb lo-vis green line. Thinking of changing up though. I should mension that that is my "susquehanna smallie" rod. For the big cats I use Berkley biggame. No other line will do around here! (for me) :)

8. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    The Freshwater Color Here Is Usually Brown At Best But Mostly Muddy, So I Don't Think The Color Really Matters. It Seems To Me That The Colored Lines Are More U.V. Resistant & Here In Fl. That's A Constant Problem.

When I Go To The Saltwater I Just Tie On A Flourocarbon Leader Which Is Clear, So I Don't Feel That The Mainline Color Would Really Make A Difference.