Fishing line - best pound test for catfishing

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by slowjamcdub, Oct 29, 2008.

1. slowjamcdub

slowjamcdub New Member

State:
    kentucky
    HEY!! what is the best test to use for all cats???

2. caveman

caveman New Member

State:
    va
    we use 20 lb on most setups ande or big game.

also for leaders i'm using 80lb.

for big baits i have a couple of outfits set up with 30lb and 40 lb line.

vaughn

3. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    Chris, best advice I can give you is to match the line to the Rod and Reel. Most will have a rating on them. Second match the outfit to the size fish you are targeting and the type of water you are fishing. This I mean if you are fishing heavy timber or around rocks you will want to beef it up alittle so if you hand a good fish you can get him out without breaking him off. If you are fishing open water without hang ups then you can have fun going alittle lighter. Hope this helps some

4. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    #65 POWER PRO

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    This is why I have so many cattin combos. I have 3 I use at knife fights and 3 I take to gun fights. :wink: 20# mono with 40# leaders to the knife fights. And 40# mono with 60# leaders to the gun fights. Hope this helps.:wink:

6. story teller

story teller New Member

State:
    illinois
    I don't know what to say........I only target channels that are 12 lbs. or smaller. Anything larger I throw back (lucky them). I use to 20 or 30 lb. test but now I only use 12 lb. test.

7. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i have 80# braid loaded on all my reels, cause ya never know when the big one will hit:wink:

8. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    I too use 80lb. breakstrength PP for my Catfish Rods! That being said, I also use 100lb. breakstrength for my Wels Catfish rods while in Europe. Here in the USA, the 80lb. PP is more than enough to use at any location and I TRUST IT! My hooklength is 150lb. braid that is specifficly made to take the abbraisiveness of the cats pads. This is the MOST Important part for me as the pads can and will shreed the normal hooklength whether it be MONO or Braid! JMHO!!!! I have NEVER had a BREAK-OFF from a fish, but have had to use a stick to break the line when HUNG! On many occaisions, I have brought up limbs and other debree that I would not have otherwise!!!

HOPPY4

9. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

THIS PRETTY MUCH SAYS IT ALL!!!!!!:wink::smile2::tounge_out::roll_eyes::eek:oooh::cool2:

10. HUSKER77

HUSKER77 New Member

State:
    IRVING, TX
    #65 POWER PRO!!!

11. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    30 lb.Big game and 65 lb. power pro

12. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    MY STUFF IS PRETTY SIMPLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ALL MY SMALL COMBOS ARE THE SAME EXCEPT ONE ( I DONT USE IT ANYMORE) " TALKN ABOUT LINE CAPACITY AND CLOSE TO THE SAME AMOUNT OF BACKBONE ON THE RODS "

ITS 12LB BBG ON MED RATED ROD

MY OTHER 2 ARE A GOING TO BE 2 9FT COMBOS FROM OKUMA AND THEY WILL HAVE 30 LB MONO......... THESE WILL BE FOR FLATHEAD CATFISH AND BIG STRIPERS

I WATCHED ALOT OF SALTWATER VIDEOS WHERE THERE ARE EITHER LONG OR SHORT RODS :smile2: NO INBETWEEN....

THE LONGER RODS TAKE MORE OF THE SURGE THE FISH GIVES AND MANY SAY THAT IS THE REASON THEY LAND TROPHYS DAILY WITHOUT TACKLE FAILURE :eek:oooh:

I LIKE LONGER RODS BECASAUE OF THIS REASON BUT THINK IT IS PERSONAL PREFERENCE FOR MORE FIGHTNING POWER THAN " CATCHING TROPHY FISH"

USE WHAT IS COMFORTABLE TO YOU

13. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    With mono I'm comfortable using #30 and with braid I use #50 or higher. All my leaders are #40-50 for cats.

14. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have 3 with 20#,3 with 30 #, and # 80# for fishing in the wood (snags)