Fishing line and what they are made of !

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by thomas feldon, Jan 11, 2008.

1. thomas feldon

thomas feldon New Member

State:
    Farmington, MO.
    You are the desider of what line you will use!
    Be selective of your area of fishing and what you will need .
    But, Be very aware of the line you will need for what you are fishing for and how to take care of that line you are using.
    First, know what you are fishing for. Biggin's, meddlin's or littlin's.
    Ya don't need 12 lb test line to catch perch. Have fun with the littlin's with ultra lite and 4 lb test mono and don't yank the line out of there mouths right off the bat. Just take your time and set the hook. Now that line of advice goes for them all.
    As far as line goes!
    It depend's
    Keep all monofilament line's out of sunlight ! Do know what your using on the reel at that time. The mono's have a combo of nylon, rayon, Poly ethel's, ploypropeleline's and other non UV resistant plastic's. Now I'm talk'n cheap line. These do measure to the standard's but will degrade quickly in sun light and weather, and time. Don't get me wrong here. They are good line's if they retain thier color . Clear is clear , not brown or yellow. A milky white will do.
    Tinted is good as it has some ( very little resistance to UV ray's ). But , These will hold up on a origenale spool that you bought it on if kept out of sunlight. If you have these kind of line's on your reel for a 4 to 6 month period you'll no doubtable see they retain your spool curl and become a fustration on the water. Time to change the line again. This is why I say, Find the line that suit's your fishing. Some people have addapted to the curly line and can catch by line of sight!
    For now this is just a suggestion of how to - - select line.
    Please help me to help find the line we need to fish with as we have all exsperienced some goodis and badies with line. Don't forget - The wrong line in the wrong area alway's lead's to the " OH CRAP " comment!:smile2:

2. thomas feldon

thomas feldon New Member

State:
    Farmington, MO.
    SPIDER WIRE ON A BAIT REEL.
    Doesn't work very well does it?
    IT Fray's out on you and slow's casting.
    Braided line will slow your casts also. What you used to get with solid lines and switching to braided will cut your cast's in half. Well aleast by 1/3 on your cast's.
    Go ahead and tell me I'm wrong! If you have to cast , then use solid line. If you are lake or pond fishing then use the line that doesn't fowl up your reel's ore slow your cast's

3. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    I'm not telling ya your wrong, I will however tell ya that I have been fishing spider-wire and braid for many years and I have no problems with getting my cast to where I want them to go, and some of the line is 2 years old and still as good as it ever has been. Maybe I got lucky on a batch I don't know, but I can not say I have any problems with any of it........ Would also add that no matter what line your fishing, after every fish or reel in (for me) check the knot and the line up a few feet, be surprised that one that "gets away" may not have if the line was trimmed and re-tied...... Just my $0.01 worth

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    If by bait reel you mean a spincast (like a zebco 33), I agree 100% Tried that a few times and it just didn't work out well. I've had good luck on regular casting and spinning reels, though.

My perch catching line got a bit heavier last year because carp invaded my bait hole. I had to either fight them for 30 minutes, or break them off. It was fun trying to land a 10lb carp from the current in the creek with 4lb test, but I generally didn't have enough time to do it several times an outing. I upgraded to 12lb and solved that problem. :cool2:

5. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Zalma Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    I use 30 lb. Spyderwire braid on a spinning reel and have great praise for it. Going on 3 rd year. However, I drag it behind the boat with nothing on it, let it go till the spool is almost empty, and in 4 or 5 min. it will be completly straightened out with no twists. (works on any line)

Using Spyderwire braid for deep trolling with a downrigger causes tooooo much line vibration, and you can actually hear it because it is not round.
    Went back to mono real quick.

When I get out this spring I am going to try the "Fusion".

6. thomas feldon

thomas feldon New Member

State:
    Farmington, MO.
    Well, keep the info comming.
    I've had good result's on open face ( spin ) reel's. Spider wire worked really good here. But on a baitcaster it tended to fray.
    Didn't even want to try it on a closed faced reel like Zebco.
    DUH.:tounge_out:, I know, read the package :eek:oooh:!
    I was just exsperimenting with the stuff.
    Seem's alot of my fishen friend's have good use if your fishing from a boat. The bank fishin friend's have allot more complaint's.
    I really want to try some braided line , but I've been waiting for more comment's about it to see if spending the money was worth it.:wink:

7. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Daughter and wife have been using spider wire on 2- 33's and a Great White for years with no trouble.

8. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    I recently put some 20# power pro on a spinning reel and i love it, only 2 things i would say is the wind catches it alot and it will fray on rocks, so i use a mono leader, as far as casting I get much longer cast out of it(side cast in the wind to keep it close to the water), no line twist, very sensitive. I mainly fish for cats and stiper so i like the strength vs diameter, try casting 20# mono from the bank on a medium duty spinning reel doesnt work to good lol:big_smile:

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    depends on the reel. i have 65# power pro on a 6500c3 and i believe i got alot of distance over mono. on my 6600 eon you might be right ive never had mono on it. the levelwind on it stays put when it casts it does drag alot probally more than mono probally reducing the distance, so when i want more distance i make sure the levelwind is in the center of the spool witch reduces the line draging enough that it realy doesent effect it. as far as is it worth the money try switching braids not all braids are built the same try power pro or stern super braid they are rounder than some of the other braids. trust me i know what your talking about ive tried braids that drag so bad that i wont use them feels like they are gonna cut the eyes on my rod into:crazy:.

10. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    Good Stuff Tom. :cool2:

J

11. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    warning stay away from the fusion its junk ya hear me junk i lost alot of tackle from it just breaking off at the knot just from jigging with a 1oz spoon no fish. i would never trust it again. power pro and stren super braid are both lines i use and are rounder than most and wouldnt trade 10 spools of any spiderwire fusion or braid for 1 spool of pp or sb.:wink: