Fishing Lights Anyone?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by catchaser1, Jul 12, 2006.

1. catchaser1

catchaser1 Active Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    what makes a good fishing light at night to light up your boat and rods?

2. catchaser1

catchaser1 Active Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    what makes a good fishing light at night to light up your boat and rods?:smile2:

3. Gabowman

Gabowman Member

State:
    Georgia
    I'm interested in seeing the replies myself. As for me I use one of the clamp-on shop lights you can buy at Walmart and replaced the 110 AC bulb with a 12 volt bulb and changed the plug-in to clamps for the battery. I have a 6' 1 & 1/4" PVC pipe which stands up on the center console inside a rod holder which I clamp the light on the top of. This does a pretty good job of lighting everything up.

4. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    depends on what you want I guess.. The Library here has some info on some mounted on the boat.
    LED headset are another option.
    I use Solor Green Line and run a black light on really dark nites...
    You can also hit EBAY and buy some of those LED 12V Rope Lights and ring your boat..
    Lots of Options to choose from, pretty much personal preference..

5. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I'm with Tim. I use headsets (stay away from the Garmin brand) to use for special purpose lighting (tying hooks, unhooking fish, etc) and I use black lights and solar collector green line combo to watch my lines. There are many choices on how to set the black lights up...I purchased the largest flourescent black lights I could find at Lowe's and plugged them into my 12volt system on the boat via a 110 power converter ($13 at Wal Mart). I have one black light at each ends of my boat and aim them toward my rod holders...it works great and doesn't attract the bugs. When the bugs are down, I sometimes carry an extra all-around running light (6ft) and change it out with my front red/green running light when i am anchored. Please read the library threads on lighting...lots of useful information.

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

the library has a few good ideas for lights on a boat

7. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I just got the Optrionics dual light it runs off of 12V it has a green light and a 50,000 candle power spotlight to "attract the Big ones"

Aaron

TA2D

8. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Can't wait to try that light out TA2D. Let me know when that crawdad trap I ordered get's to ya. Later

SudDawg

9. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I Use A Product Called "U-Lite", They Come In 2 Different Lengths, 15" & 24". They Come With Ample Cord Lengths, So You Can Use The Light Where Need Be And Still Connect It To Your Power Source; Where Ever it Might Be.

They Are Also Submersible So You Can Use Them Underwater For Attracting Baitfish Or Crappie Fishing. Unfortunately I Don't Own A Digital Camera Or I'd Take A Pic Of How I Have My Boat Set Up.

I Double Stack Them Using Zipstraps, A White One And A Blacklight One. When I'm Underway Or Rigging Poles I Use The White Lights, When I get To The Spot, I Switch Over To The Blacklights. I can See My Solar Green Line And No Bugs :cool2: , HTH Elliot

10. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    I use a led light that clips on the bill of my hat for when I need a little light and use glow sticks on the end of the rods. I feel the less light the better.

11. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm the same way. I don't even use glow sticks on the rods, but have baitclickers so don't really need them.

I used to fish with at least one lantern around, but recently stopped using one. When I stopped using one, I started getting twice the bites. That was enough to decide it for me. I still have one available, but rarely use it when I am alone. If someone else is around I might have it on for a little while, but I keep it off when I can.

But then again, I bank fish. Fishing from a boat you need some sort of light anyway, but keeping it to a minimum may help.