Fishing license

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by bigfish, Mar 10, 2006.

1. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    well i know that dnr or who ever gets our license fees, need money for research or whatever they do with it. but enough is enough. i havent heard of any programs or any thing started from last year. now last year i bought my license at $17. just today i went to do my part and pay my fees to fish in Gods waters. when i was told i owed $26 i almost fainted. this is just fishing not hunting. this extra $9 didnt break me or anything, but how is this even justified?

2. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Expenses go up for them just as they do for you and me. They still have to keep the lights on and print out those helpful hunting and fishing guides, among many other things. Im sure the cost of those go up every year too.
    Eventually prices have to rise or already existing programs suffer.

3. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    that seems awful high just to fish are you sure they didn't screw up...........i'm sure there cost goes up but dang my pay check didn't jump 9 dollars last year.take a look at some of the rivers and lakes i think somebody needs to get off there but and do a little spring cleaning or something.around here they have volunteers to go around and clean up..why do they need volunteer's when i have to pay so much.

4. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Well,thats about 8 cents a day....sorry it breaks the bank for ya

5. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Can't wait to get mine. Almost broke down and got one at Wally world, but that just don't seem right to me. I'll wait till I get toward the lake more! or another county or state. ;)

6. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Sorry you feel that way, but the many other things they have to pay for are stocking programs. They stock everything from 2 inch hybrid stripers to eating size trout in huge lakes to small urban ponds all over my state.
    Sure some of that money may get squandered just as our taxes are. Are you going to quit paying them?

Im happy to pay my share even if others dont. You may not see them but theres usually a c. o. for every county. We, uh, I mean Some of us pay their salary, buy the boats and trucks they use to try and stop poaching and other wildlife crimes. Some of us pay to keep fuel in those vehicles as well.
    How much has gas gone up?

There are many other things as well, archery in the schools program comes to mind. Not to mention that money may help a few kids go to conservation camp that not may not get to go other wise. I guess we should all stop paying our licenses that way theres no one to fight to try to keep companies from dumping chemicals in our water. Even though you seem to care about our waters yet are unwilling to help.

This may sound mean but if you dont buy your license Im gonna lmao if you have to pay ten years worth of licenses for a fine. Happened to a friend of mine and he's bought his every year since. Not to mention you could possibly lose your tackle, boat and truck. Good luck to ya.

7. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Me too Brother.LOL

8. pursuing_cats

pursuing_cats New Member

State:
    Clarksville,Tennessee
    To all who are crying about a $9 increase for a fishing license. You should know that nothing is free in the world and you have to pay for everything. I am sure when you go to by a boat or a car you get mad at the increase but you still buy them. I live in Tennessee and they have not raised their fees in a very long time until this year. I am a sportsman license holder and last year our fee was $101 and it has been that way for years. Now you may think that is a high price but it covers everything from fishing to hunting and includes all your permits. This year they raised it to $136 and I do not think I heard one complaint from all the sportsman in this state.
    If you don't want to pay the higher price then do not fish. I think I would rather pay the higher price than to pay the finr that will be imposed on you if you are caught without one. As for all the people you say don't have one at all your fishing spots, all i can say is it's their choice and if they get caught it's on them. I know Tennessee uses the funds from license sales to improve our habitat and provide land for the public to use. They restock the trout streams and repopulate turkeys into areas that do not have any for hunting. Oh yeah, they also print those stupid books you talk about so those of us that buy the licenses know our guidelines and limits so we do not do something that is wrong.

9. ksutroubleii

ksutroubleii New Member

State:
    New Philadelphia, OH
    Sorry but I have to agree with derbycitycatman and pursuing_cats on this one. Here in Ohio it is $19. Small price to pay to the DNR for all that they do.

Flip side...I was fishing at Tappan Lake last summer and witnessed a man on a boat getting caught fishing without his license. He lost all of his fishing gear and his boat, plus a citation for $225. For being too cheap to pay his license fee he got to drive home with an empty boat trailer and explain to his wife where his $4,500 boat went. By the way, He did have the option of trying to buy his boat back at auction. OUCH!

10. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    Even if your state is not doing what you think they should, by purchasing a license, your at least doing your part. I'm just thankful that we still have the opportuntity to hunt, fish, trap, etc. in my state with all the "anti-everything" fanatics out there these days. Our trapping license jumped from $2.50 to $25.00 in one year. I think it was a dramatic leap, but it's still a cheap price to pay for the right to do something that i love.

11. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    well i understand about why they bump up the price. thats just life in this day n age. everything is going up and allways will. i noticed they were going to raise fees a few years ago. at the time indiana had a liftime hunt/fish option for $708.00. that was a good bit of money in my world,and still is in my cheap head. lol was a hard decision at the time when i could get a deer licence for 16 bucks and fish for 8.75. since then fees have gone threw the roof and im glad i baught the liftime licence. if your state offers this option i would jump on it! indiana had a bums rush of lifetimers before the fee increase(708.00 jumped to like 1200.00 something,fishings around 18$(a year) and deer tags are $20+ per deer). the next year they discontinued the life licence because of the lost revenue. now it wont be long before i get my moneys worth out of my licence at these prices. with fees like they are today i couldnt keep the hunting lifestyle iv known my whole life, with every deer costing me 20+$. my advise, like i said go jump on the option now if you have it!!!!!

tightlines all

12. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I agree completely, if you want to complain about the price of something then how about GAS there is no shortage it's just people filling their pockets at everybodys expense.

13. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Here in Kansas they tried to make the KDWP self sufficient. They cut the state money to almost nill. The parks are quickly deterioating and the personell are really disgruntled. There was an article that unless funding is increased the use fees and other licenses will probably go up again. That being said the usage rates for all parks is way down. Cheif complaint is the fees. Our yearly park permit has nearly doubled in the last decade and the camping fees, well its cheaper to stay at Super 8.

The money I pay for my licenses goes to support what they can. Understand that we as sportsmen are a limited few. Yes here on the BOC we seem very large, but if that number carried over to the general population, then your local fishing hole would be overun with people. Can you imagine nearly every resident of your hometown fishing every day they could. You would have to make reservations.

I suggest you purchase a lifetime license if your state offers it. I have watched ours go up and finally broke down and bought mine for xmas for me and the wife. Now I never have to worry again.

You say they squander the money. I have many good friends who are Game officers. They tell me how they get chewed out for missing a guy who fished all morning and took over his limit of small fish. Then the guy's cell phone rings and he tells his wife all about it. They spend a lot of time researching, stocking, improving habitat, and trying to save what they can. If you see someone breaking the law, then call them. I have several that have given me their cell #.

You think they have huge bugets. In Kingman the park officer manages over 5000 acres. His annual budget for labor, fuel, supplies is just under 30K. Thats $60/acre to mow, plant food plots, hire labor, repair damaged equipment (picnic benches, vandalism, torn down fences). Yep they are sure squndering the money given to them. Sadly he purchased an old gleaner to harvest the food plots that he plants for the seed. It cost him $1200. He sold $1600 worth of seed and thus payed for the combine and had money left over. That combine is still in use. Did the dept thank him for saving them money in the long run? NO they nearly fired him. He now plants more areas and never buys seed.

So go ahead and dont buy a license. The fines, loss of equipment, and possilbe loss of fishing priviledges will be worth it I am sure.

14. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    Well i did my part, bought my fishing permit for my wife and myself, shoot i even have two permits for myself now..
    some1 decided they needed my wallet more than i did.. i did get my fishing permit back, after i paid another $3.50 for a duplicate. then low and behold some of my wallet stuff shows, minus the credit cards.. so now i have paid the price and then some.. i could have waited but if i went out fishing, i don't like the thought of giving the DNR my boat, my rods and reels and hopefully the fresh fish.. so pay the price one way or the other.. just remember next time you go to a farm pond most generally the DNR stocked that pond.. just my 2 cents worth

15. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    If you don't by a license to fish do you also not get a license to drive?
    Fishing is a privilege just like driving. Do you tell your kids that because you think that the price of a license is to high, that they or you don't have to obey the law?

No one likes to spend more money, but you have to pay the cost or not fish. Its that simple and its the law.

16. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    It's gets free for some of us... here in AR old buzzards like myself pay for their last fishing license at 65. ;)

Patrick, I agree with your post, I never minded paying for license, I think they put the fees to good use and like everything they have to increase to keep up with cost.

17. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    sure wish our fishing licenses were only 26 bucks we pay almost 50 out here but hey you want to play you got to pay its plain and simple. the fishing licenses go up every year here now they intorduced where if you buy the basic licnese you can only fish lakes you want to fish the delta and other rivers you have to buy the delta stamp and theis stamp and that stamp i dont mind because they use it to do things. camping fees at one of the lakes i go to went up 7 bucks from last year. they have to or they cant keep the places up and running. i say dont like the prices dont fish. me ill pay them.

18. pursuing_cats

pursuing_cats New Member

State:
    Clarksville,Tennessee
    Mutt,
    Sorry to hear that about the seperate licenses and fees for different areas to fish, but you do live in Cali. and we all know they are about the money. As long as they use to the benefit of their residents I would never mind the increases. One of these days we will not have anywhere to fish and hunt unless we all do our part and keep paying the fees.

19. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Brobert,how long you been off your meds?:rolleyes:

Man,I ain't got the right to judge you...but from my view...your last few posts on this topic are not very positive...something about 2 wrongs don't make it right comes to mind

20. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Amen to that bro. I aint never heard of any place either where you can fish salt water either without a license. Its this kinda or reasoning and thoughts that do help to increase the fees too and get more and more areas of fishing banned and gives the anti fishing idiots more fire power to use. very foolish in my opinion and a good way to not set an expample or promote fishing and following the laws.