fishing license increase highest since 1970

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by rasmotherman, Nov 16, 2009.

1. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    The economy might be down, but the number of people going fishing is up. Way up. The American Sportfishing Association (ASA) recently announced a historic jump in fishing license sales this year compared to last. Fish and wildlife agencies nationwide reported a 7.7 percent increase in the number of licenses sold from January to July in 2009 compared to the same months in 2008. Last time we saw a single-year increase this big? You guessed it, the 1970s (OK, so you read the headline). "We believe national campaigns such as Take Me Fishing are having a positive effect," said ASA President Mike Nussman.
    Just goes to show what you already knew: Anglers care about fishing, no matter what nonsense Wall Street's up to. It also means fishing's a great way to leave the stress of everyday life behind and spend quality time on the water with friends and family. Shore lunch never sounded better ... to so many people.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  2. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I do not agree that the fishing promotional campaign has as much to do with it as todays economy has.Lets face it if people are unemployed due to a layoff or plant closing they may need to supplement their food supply by going fishing and/or hunting.I also figure if people are unemployed they have more time on their hands and will go fishing/hunting.I guess we will know the real reason if the hunting numbers go up as well.I think you will see the hunting/fishing rise to stay with the unemployment for a while.

3. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i would say your right

4. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Of course they are going to credit their programs they are in politics after all. I think more people are fishing because of the situation they are in. Maybe with how digital and high-tech the world is now people want to get back to the outdoors?

5. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    I WOULD TAKE A WILD GUESS AND SAY THAT U READ YOUR NORHT AMERICAN FISHING CLUB NEWS LETTER .....:wink:

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    well, if it(economy) keeps going down hill at this rate, game will be scarce in a few years! some remember when deer were a rare sight to see.

7. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I know a few folks who are right now supplementing their food supply with the venison that they are shooting because of the economy. I would imagine that fishing licenses would follow the same trend.

I would much rather sit in the freezing cold with a pole or gun in hand rather than to stick my hand out for a government handout.

The fraudulent politicians in Washington aren't going to buy my vote with welfare if I can help it!

8. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio

good info thanks!

9. Catfish_Rob

Catfish_Rob New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, OHIO
    It's time for deer meat and welfare cheese

10. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have also seen an increase in fishermen along the riverbanks in this area this year. my guess was now that folks have lost their jobs they actually had time to fish again lol. we WERE a manufacturing and automotive based area until things started going south, not so much anymore. over the past 10-12 years we seen standard work hours go from 3, 8hour shifts to mandatory 2, 12 hour shifts working sometimes 7 days a week to compete with foreign labor and folks just didnt have time to do anything but eat/sleep/work.

softball leagues used to be a big thing around here too but about that same time period they all dissapeared and the softball complexes are now fields of weeds.

11. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    but of course. i know being laid off i have done more fishing than i usually do. i also have been keeping more fish than i usually do. im not a big fish eater but when i can supplement a few meals a month the taste grows on ya. hopefully these times will draw more respectfull people to the shores. more families and decent people that dont trash our lakes and rivers