Fishing License fee may go up in Virginia

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by rebcatman, May 4, 2006.

1. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    I saw a story in the Washington Times, that said Virginia may raise the price of a fishing license by 5.00. Virginia has not had an increase since 1988.

2. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    reckon we gotta pay to play folks

3. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Ya, I guess we can't complain much. It has been 18 years since the last increase. I say that is pretty good for a user fee. I don't mind paying it because I can see exactly what I get out of fishing. And, if you go more than 20 times a year, think of it as a dollar a trip.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Several years ago Oklahoma enacted legislation which prevented our legislature from raising taxes unless it passes with over 75% of the legislature (no bill has even gone for a vote - lol) or passes with a majority of the citizens in a special election. Figured that had the rascals by the cajones... but they in turn started putting fees on everything, and then raising fees. The price of our license has remained fairly steady, but just last year they imposed a $5.00 fee on every hunting and fishing license, to be charged when you purchase new licenses. This is supposed to buy new habitat or fix things up... if it does it will only be the fat cats and their friends who benefit from it... oh well, I guess the majority of Virginians can live with it... what choice do they have. LOL

5. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    here in cali you can get right around 50 bucks tied up in your fishing license it aint cheap here.

6. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Here in VA, the Game and Fish department makes the decision on any price increase. I suppose that is good, since it does not allow the General Assembly to screw things up.

7. Mildog

Mildog Member

State:
    Virginia
    Wow! $50
    I certainly can't complain about Virginia's price.

I don't have a problem with the increase anyway. From my limited exposure to fishing in Virginia, it looks like the VDGIF is doing a pretty good job.

8. ears

ears New Member

State:
    *Required*
    I dont have a problem with it that money goes to vdgif lakes, fish hatcherys, stocking programs pays game wardens etc. I can handle $17.50 a year for one of the few government agencys I can actually see results from.

9. DirtyHowi

DirtyHowi New Member

State:
    va
    While never a fan of imposed taxation, at least the GA doesnt get a chance to hose it over or send it to north VA for roads. Normally I would have put in my 2 cents on the DGIF website (they are asking for public input) but after seeing the great job they did fixing up the amelia WMA sight in range and the improvements at chickahominy WMA range I aint gonna complain. Plus they can't raise it again for at least 3 years so i suppose it's not so bad..

Being from SO Cal originally, getting here and finding out my fishing/hunting licenses only set me back 30 bucks or so after stamps and whatnot it wasn't so bad, having enjoyed that price for a couple of years now i'll suck up the extra 5 and just wait for a sale at the big bait store.

10. Brushy Bill Roberts

Brushy Bill Roberts New Member

State:
    Spencer Indiana
    Our fishing fee went from $14 to $17 this year.
    I did get a break on our "Launching" permits.
    This year it is $5 per year for a non motorized boat,
    ( I use a canoe )
    Last year, I had to pay $20, the same as any other boat.
    I would much rather pay these fees than F.I.C.A.
    ( I could retire and fish the rest of my life on the money they have taken
    for that the last 32 years )
    It reminds me of a bumper sticker "Don't Steal, the goverment doesn't like the compitition"

11. tkbiker

tkbiker New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here in Ohio they went up to $19.00 a couple of years ago. Dont mind paying for it cause i sure use it.
    I get my moneys worth!!
    Todd

12. fish4anything

fish4anything New Member

State:
    Virginia
    My understanding is they are going to raise hunting license prices as well. This is $5 for small game, $5 for big game, $5 for archery,and $5 for muzzleloader. I just wish they would look at the non-resident fees. You can hunt and fish in Virginia as a non-resident cheaper than almost anywhere in the US.

13. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Someone has to pay to keep these game wardens in their new Suburans and Tahoe's every year. The hunting license is what gets me. With Small game, big game, archery, muzzle loading, and national forest stamp, that's almost a 50% increase, and I haven't seen a Game Warden in the field in the last ten years.

14. fish4anything

fish4anything New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Willie you forgot about the safari half the big wigs went on last year paid by a department credit card. I'm 34 years old, have been hunting since I was 8 and I've never been checked during hunting season.

15. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    I can recall three or four times I have been stopped by the GW in the last ten years. The last time while fishing at Lake Brittle, the GW comes up to me and the guy I was fishing with starts talking to us and Bsing, and then asks to see our license. Sort of funny, as if he thought we expected him not to ask.