Fishing Leaders

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by baptistfireman, Aug 11, 2007.

1. baptistfireman

baptistfireman New Member

State:
    louisiana
    I Might Not Be On The Right Board But I Thought I Would Give This A Try ,

On Leaders I See Where Some People Use A Fixed Weight About The Hook! I Was Thinking That This Is A Bad Way Where The Fish Must Pull The Weight And Then You See The bite. Here Where I Fish I Use A 9" Leader With A Egg Sinker {1/2 To 2oz} Where The Weight Is On The Bottom And The Line Can Slide Through The Weight........My Question Is What Would Be The Best Way To Rig For River Fishing.? If There Is Any Other Was Please Let Me Know Because I Have Seemed To Run Out Of Luck With The Current Set up That I Have Been Using.........Thanks

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Use the same type of rig ya are usein, A carolina rig. Only change is use a no-roll sinker instead of an egg. Use enough weight to keep your bait where ya want it.

3. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    The only time you can use an egg sinker in current is when you are fishing from a boat...If you're fishing with your line running with the current, it'll work depending on the current...I use no-rolls exclusively whether I'm in a lake with no current or a river...Simpler, that way....Dwight

4. baptistfireman

State:
    louisiana

Ok But A Non - Roll Sinker Should Be Fixed At The Bottom Of The Bait And Not Above It Right?

5. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I usually put mine above the hook. hook, leader, swivel, then sinker. The line will slide through the no-roll so the fish won't feel the sinker and the swivel keeps the weight from sliding down to your hook. This is the rig I use almost all the time on the MO river. Good Luck!

Brnaden

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I put my no-roll/egg/pencil/flexible weight on the main line then a bead then a barrel swivel then a leader then the hook. Depending on the water I am fising and the structure it has in it i make my leader longer, about 12-18 inches and add a 3-4 inch float between the swivel and the hook. Doing this helps decrease the amount of times I get hung-up (just my opinion). Good Luck

7. baptistfireman

State:
    louisiana

Ok Well I Am Going To Try Yalls Methed Tonight If The Water Is Right!!!!! Yall Know Im Still Going If Its Not But Anyway It Gives Me A Chance To Try Different Way Of Rigging.........I Think I Need To Invest In Some Non-Roll Sinkers Because The Only Sinker I Have Been Using Is The Egg Sinker Because Of The Slip Up And Down The Line............I Will Post A Little Message When I Return To Let Yall Know What Took Place....................Thanks:cool2:

8. bigsmitty13

bigsmitty13 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use this same rig, and it works great

9. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    The only thing i might add after you switch to the no roll sinker is instead of a 9 inch leader go to an 18 to 24 inch leader then peg a cigar float about 5 inches from your hook to suspend your bait up off the bottom. Stick with a short leader for live bait.