Fishing Leaders

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by AZflats, Jun 23, 2006.

1. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I was watching an eposode of In-Fisherman yesterday and they were discussing the universal rig. From stergen to cat fish. Which basicaly consists of a slide weight swivel, leader and hook.

~ One part that I found interesting was the talk about leaders.

Using a thick, rigid, or monofilament leader may cause bait rejection with larger, "expirenced cats"..... They recomend a dacron leader or a braided leader, even if you are using a mono main line. This softer line would feel like there is nothing there when the cat initially attacks the bait.

~ I like heavy tackle, big lines, and big hooks and often use leaders at 80# mono.. While I still get fish on these rigs, I will try a softer leader and see how it does.

~ Does anyone use braid for a leader?
    * I also like to tie up a reverse snell knot to the hook.. Not so sure how the snell knot would work with braid.

2. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    Been using 50 lb gorilla braid on my catfish pole as of late. I use a slip weight rig , with no leader, main line tied straight to hook, instead of using a leader & having an extra knot that could possibly fail, i use a split shot about a ft or ft in a half up from hook to stop the slip weight from sliding all the way down.

Dont know if that helped on the leader questions.

I think the knot that i use is called palomor & is what everyone on the site suggest using when rigging up with braid. (i might be mistaken on the name of the knot)

3. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Palomar is a good knot. The simpilest and one of the strongest.

4. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Andy,

The rigging that you explained is the same method of rigging that I use all the time. It works the best in calm flowing rivers the best.

As far as leaders, I have tried to use braided line, but I never had as good of hookup rates or bites. I always felt like it was due to the fish being able to see the line. One example was trying to catch baitfish with braided 4lb test line. The stuff was so thin, but it was more noticeable in the water than mono line.

I currently use Suffix brand monofilament line as my leaders...40lb test. You can get really heavy gauge line, but it is quite flexible. It doesn't feel like you are trying to tie a cable around a hook.

As for knots, I snell my circle hooks when using the rigging mentioned above. When letting the bait remain suspended in the water off a boat, I will use a Palomar knot with two hooks and a 4 foot gap between the last hook and the weight.

5. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I have been using Berkly vanish 50# for a few years becouse of exactly what you are talking about. The fish might see the leader.

~ But up till recently I have switched to 80# mono. And I can't beleive my catch rate has decreased. In fact, this is my best year ever fishing Bartlett.

I have not used anything other than Power pro for a main line for the last few years. I even used up to 100#. The sharp rocks I fish around have taken back many good fish.

I also catch carp with Super braid in the 8# strength..

~A

6. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    I've used powerpro for leader but went back to mono because of the rocks at bartlett, the heavy mono is better for the abraisive rocks during the fight. I did like how powerpro is soft and I think the fish would feel it less. The palomar knot is the only knot for the braid. The snell knot with mono in my opinion steers the hook better because it's on the shank of the hook. I use 30-40 mono Maxima Ultra Green the very best line you can get. I have bulk spools and use it for main also, once you try this line it's hard to go to anything else.