Fishing Leader

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by shingman6, Aug 31, 2007.

1. shingman6

shingman6 New Member

State:
    South Carolini
    Can anyone show me how to make a leader to catfish with?I know this must be simple but please indulge me! I want to be sure I do this right.

2. shingman6

shingman6 New Member

State:
    South Carolini
    I found info on the library at start of site

3. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    For big cats, I use 100lb line for the leader, and snell my hook onto line then tie a polimor knot to at least 1/0 swivel. Make up several of these and cut slots in a piece of cardboard and store in your boat for quick change outs!

4. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I run 65 - 80lb braid for my main line. I just tie a swivel to the end of my line, cut the line about 18" above the swivel, and then tie the open eye of the swivel to my main line to make my leader. I tie a hook on the end of the 18" piece and I'm ready to go. Good Luck!

Branden

5. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Not overkill at all. When was the last time you hooked into a 50 pound or larger (70 pounder in Brandens case) catfish? And you were also fighting the current too? Plus there exists a possibility of hooking into a 100 lb fish?

The 80 lb power pro braided line is soft and flexible. It also has an equivalent diameter to 18lb monofilament.

So....... no problem. You won't be laughing after a gigantic catfish breaks your 30 lb mono that you thought was adequate for anything that swims.

Me, I'm sticking with the power pro. Already learned my lesson.

Everyone should learn their own lessons though.:smile2:

Disclaimer: If the waters you fish don't have big fish in them then feel free to stick with your small line. Heck, feel free to stick with it anyway. Wasn't trying to start anything, it's a free country.:roll_eyes:

6. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I just use a basic carolina rig for most situations. Unless I'm fishing from the bank around rip rap and then I use a 3 way swivel rig with lighter # line on the sinker to break away in case of a snag. Try putting a bobber about 6 inchs up from the hook and it will keep your bait up off the bottom. I use 40# mono for the main line and 50# mono for the leader but I'm not after little fish either.