Fishing large lakes

Discussion in 'Walleye Fishing' started by sms7599, Jul 30, 2009.

1. sms7599

sms7599 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I am new to walleye fishing in large lakes. I have been river fishing for walleyes for alot of years but nothing i try in the lakes im now fishing are working any suggestions.

2. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Go to a bait shop and ask where they been biting, and what depth. Usually this time of year, they are near the bottom. I have never caught a decent size one, but they can be caught on minnows fished on a carolina rig with about a 12-18 inch leader on the bottom. A gob of worms is good under a bobber if ya find the right depth, and usually trolling near the bottom. They don't usually hit hard, its kinda a soft bite or light taps. They are sure good eatin tho.

3. richard84

richard84 New Member

State:
    ky
    i cant tell ya how to catch them but let me know if ya need any help eatin them :smile2:

4. Catfishnewbie08

Catfishnewbie08 New Member

State:
    TN
    I grew up fishing Lake Winnebago in Wisconsin and have done it mostly by trolling. I troll either spinner harnesses with night crawlers behind planer boards or use crankbaits such as shad rap or thunderstick. I've heard that Hot n tots are pretty hot right now. Watch the bottom on the fish finder for any humps, reefs, and weedbeds, if you find these you'll probably find the fish, whether you troll, drift or still fish.

5. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

I could repeat word for word what Jamie said he hit it right on the head. Plus he's from one of the best Walleye lakes in this country.

6. sms7599

sms7599 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks guys that gives me some ideas to try out. I'm going out tues and weds. I'll let u know if I do any good.

7. Kat Head

Kat Head New Member

State:
    Erie, Pennsylvania
    I know this thread is a little old but I might be able to help you. I fish Lake Erie right around the Ohio, Pennsylvania state line. It is said this is the walleye capital of the world. First ask around and find what depth they've been at. Now, you'll wanna troll for them between 1.5 and 2.5 mph. Depth, anywhere between 10 and 35 feet deep, run bomber lures off of planer boards or a couple flat lines out back. around 50 feet deep, run a 3 way swivel and tie on a 5 or 6oz. sinker and run the same lures. You can also run down riggers, run a floating lure or spoon out 50 feet and then send it down with the cannon ball. when you get bellow 50 feet run down riggers and dipsy divers. Tie on a floating lure or worm harness to a 5 foot leader behind the dipsy and let it out around 130 feet. You can get a chart for the setting on the dipsy and the amount of line to let out for the desired depth. currently we are running about 65 to 70 feet deep. The depth of the fish will depend on water temp and water clarity. Walleye are cool water, not warm or cold. any other questions just pm me or your best bet is hook up with someone experienced in your area.

8. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    looking for weedbeds, humps and rock. For bait, best way to catch them on worms and minnows under the bobber, sometime use the lures but not fan of using lures for walleyes..