Fishing Lantern question

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by brinley45cal, Oct 1, 2007.

1. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Has anyone ever used one of those battery operated lanterns?Like the Rayovac ones you can get at lowes and places like that?They use D batterys.I was wondering how well they worked and if there worth 27bucks.

2. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'd like to know also. I think i've bougtht about a thousand mantels for my Coleman. Good light but fragile.

3. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i have one that i use but only when i have to. (i don't like to use lights in the boat) good batteries will last a couple of nights of 6-8 hrs running on mine. i got rechargable ones. i also (since no heat) wrapped the lens with yellow celluphane to help cut down on bugs. helps a lot doing that. still have the faithful coleman lantern, but thats for emergancies.
    gary
    oh, light isn't as bright, but still can see to walk and tie line.

4. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    Does it light up enough to see the tips of your rod?

5. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I have that Rayovac that takes 8 D batteries. I like it alot and no problems yet, get yourself some rechargable batteries for it. I like the fact that it has two bulbs and you can turn on 1 or 2 depending on the moon and clouds. JMHO

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I get mine about 4 feet in the air and it lights up about a 20 foot circle.

7. xposedguts

xposedguts New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use an oldschool colman one, at least 20 years old. I perfer it over my coleman battery one but both are nice.

8. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i don't worry about lighting tips of poles. use those clip on chemical lite and fasten on pole tips. got a good deal on E-bay, and then got a better hint. got to party store and buy those little bracelets the kids like to play with. little tape and top 6-8 inches of pole is lit up.
    gary

9. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I've got a little LED lantern...still on the original batteries after a year.

It doesn't light up the world like a Coleman, but it doesn't have mantles to break, or have to be refueled, either. I like it, a lot.

10. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I just bought one this last weekend for a cub scout campout... Have not used it for fishing, but worked great! at the campsite....

There is also a really good article in the BOC Library on how to "convert" it over to run off your boat batts. instead of feeding it 8 D's ....

11. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    My son has one made by Coleman that has an adaptor to run it off 12 volts. My wife keeps one of the Rayovac lanterns in her Explorer, it seems to work well and gives off a good bit of light. They are handy for use in the tent and those late night trips to the outhouse.
    I had the same trouble with mantles on the propane lanterns, went back to gas lanterns and very seldom have to change mantles. Don't know why but it seems propane is harder on the mantles than gas, at least thats my experience with them.

12. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I dont have a D battery one but I have a Swiss Gear rechargeable lantern that gives off enough light to fish by. I figure the money Ive saved from buying batteries, propane or mantles that its already payed for itself. Im gonna have to try the yellow cellophane idea because the lantern does draw in bugs.

13. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    Thanks everyone that chimed in.Ive been thinking about getting one or two for a few weeks now but have been reluctant.But i guess now ill have to go get me one and try it out.BIG help guys thanks.

14. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    Hey do you know on what page its on because i looked and couldnt find it,i could be just blind:cool2:lol thanks.

15. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Hey James, Coleman has a couple of models that sorta telescope, so that the tube and globe retract into the base, and are protected. Cool beans.

16. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I just bought one of the collapsable lanterns and it is great and stores just about anywhere.I only use it when re tying rigs or removing difficult hooks etc.Whatever lantern you get I highly recommend you try and get amber lenses as they do not attract bugs.Seems the bugs cannot see amber light.There was a company that made amber replacemnt globes for most lanterns and for ONCE in my life I was smart and bought amber globes for all my colemans and 2 spares.Of course I havent needed the spares yet but I have them.I'm not sure if the company is still in business but if you PM WHISTLER he might know.Yellow also works and there are 12v bulbs made in yellow or amber for electric lanterns.Anything that changes the light to yellow or amber will reduce your bug problem by 95%.The new green lights also dont attract much traffic.:smile2:

17. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i seen a light id like to have it was a 32 or 36 led work light with 2 settings that runs on 3aa i think. looks like it it would make a good lantern, its flat like a pattle so it could lay on the ground by the rods and shine up insetad of out. cost to mutch for me to get right now just to try but i might get it later. i think it was like $35

18. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    sounds like I could buy a lot of mantels for the cost of batteries those things like!!!

19. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Brinly45cal, Try this page

20. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Brinley, Wayne, Ditch the lantern alltogether. If you just sit out there in the dark, your eyes will become used to the dark and you'll be able to see. Plus the mosquitos will be minimal. Just take a flashlight to re-tie and bait up with. I guarantee you will never miss that lantern once you go without it.