Fishing Lake Norman

Discussion in 'Carolina Catfish Club' started by Novice, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Novice

Novice New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    went fishing sunday morning cote A few brim at boat launch went north to state park around the power lines used live brem and cut put out 4 rods two of each water temp 77 to 79 we quit about 1:00 ges what my record isstill intact we got skunked agin althow we had two real hard hits one broak the 30 lb test mono line the other wwas only on for a minit bit my hole brim in haph it was ded ihoched it throue the eys and slised boath sids for more sent the other one was filey of brim they wera boath real heavy maybe I am starting to do sumthing write thanks for all the help I have got from you CCC members.:smile2:

2. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Walter, you need to revisit the CCC on line seminar and reread message no. 11 concerning why we break our lines and what we can do to prevent it from happening again. Mac

3. Novice

Novice New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I did and Iam geting ready to go and by new line for thoes reals with mono line my other reals with braded line seem to be all right thoes are rated at 80 lbs thankes for the infomation walter :embarassed:

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    30 pound line is more than enough for ANY catfish in ANY waters. 80 pound line has far too many drawbacks to use for freshwater fishing.

NO FISH in freshwater can break 20 or 30 pound line when the drag is set correctly.

When lines do "break", it is either because of operator failure (improper drag setting/poor equipment) or from frays and other damage to the line, not because the fish are so massive that they are able to snap the line.

5. Novice

Novice New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I did not mean to imply the fish was that big whate I ment was for sum reason probebly the sun. that the line deterierated althow it was real heavy but thanks agin walter :big_smile:

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    My misunderstanding. :wink: The sun and time will break line down, and that is a good point. No matter how much you fish a line you do need to replace it regularly. Loosing fish is a tough lesson to learn. :eek:oooh:

7. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Walter, I agree with Dieter. New line that's 20 to 30lb test is plenty with the proper drag setting. Catfish can bite down hard and have adrasive mouths. Try using 50lb mono only for your leaders. It will hold up better to the wear and tear in a good brawl. You also want have to change your leaders near as much.:wink:

8. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    When Im fishing tournaments offshore I reset the drags before each one and again the night after a big fish. On 30# line I set the drag at 8#. On 50#line I set them at 12#. We set the rod in the holder and use a manual scale to see how much pressure before the line comes off the spool. With my drags set like this I have caught many tuna 30 to 150lbs. I know that you need alittlt more pressure to pull a big fish off the bottom but you shouldnt have to use anything over 30# mono for your reels. If you bring one of your rods to the meeting I can help you set your drag.

9. Novice

Novice New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    gary thank you very much my nabor has don A lot of salt watter fishing and showed me how he setes drage it is just about the way you sead exsept he uses whate insted of Asscale I think the scale is more practible than wate on the boat thank you agin gary sea you at the meating walter :embarassed: