Fishing Knots - What kind does everyone use?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Ravensmavsfan, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    I'm wondering what knots everbody uses to tie hooks,swivels,weights,ect to line. I use the Improved Clinch Knot but its not always reliable.

Don't bother telling me how to tie them, I got a book on fishing knots.

2. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I tie polmar knots at every point I can between the spool and the weight and I use cinch knots coming off of the 3-way swivels heading out to the hook. Again using polmar knots on the hooks themselves. I know I probably misspelled both knot types but you get the point.

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
  4. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    The "Parlomar Knot" is my go-to Knot for all of my fishing rigs. :0a23:

Bert :cool:

5. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    6 1/2 turn double clinch knot, unimproved, on 20-lb Trilene Big Game - wet to tighten and look for it to "bulge" or "melt" when tight

blood knot, unimproved, for joining mono to mono backer, turn count varies with line test

Surgeon's Knot for bank sinker dropper loop on a 3-way swivel

6 turn Trilene knot on 6-lb Vanish and 12-lb Spiderwire Supermono - wet to tighten

Suggest you find one or two you can tie extremely well, repeatedly, in the dark, slipping in the mud, balanced on a rock, with wet freezing hands, sweat dripping in your eyes, and mosquitoes eating you alive, and stick with it.

Spend a night or two this winter trying different knots on different hook wire diameters and finishes.

6. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Polomar on everything. Its just a very simple knot to tie. Now on my sinkers i'll just tie an ol granny knot because if its a good fish he'll roll and break them off most time.

7. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Polamar on the mainline to a swivel. Cinch knot for the leader to the swivel. An improved cinch or a snell from the leader to the hook.

Ray

8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I use the improved clinch most of the time, takes me less time to tie than the Palomar. Its been a while, but the last time I tested one of my knots at an outdoor show it tested 95% of line strength. Can't say the Palomar has been as good. With braided lines, I either use the Palomar or Uni, nothing else seems to hold as well.

9. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
  10. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    The only two knots I use are the clinch and the polomar knots. Both are extremely strong. The bigger the line the more I use the polomar.

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Improved clinch for me, I have had very, very, few knot fails..But then agin, I catch very few fish! :D

12. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I am a uni knot fan. There is a whole system of knots based on the uni knot, from snelling to attaching two lines togather, making bobber stop knots and attaching terminal gear! I been using that knot so long I can do it in the dark, which is a good thing cause I cant see worth a darn, lol! The palomar runs a close second in my opinion and is about the only other knot that will work with super braids!!

13. Lil Grinder 20

Lil Grinder 20 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    IMO you gotta go with the palomar knot. its very strong

14. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I mostly use the Palomar knot with my braids and clich knot on some of my monos.

15. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    improved clinch knot variation on everything.

16. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    I'm a palomar guy too. Very good knot even with thick mono. I belive it retains 90-95% of the line strength. On ocassion I get a wild hair and I tie up with a figure eight rethread. I have used alot of my rock climbing knots in fishing just to keep in practice. Just keep in mind no matter which knot you chose. Be careful to tie it properly and to "weight" it to be sure there is no slipage before you trim the tag end.

17. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I use a Palomar the most. :D

18. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    I am with Deltalover, the uni-knot is awesome.

19. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I use the palomar knot for attaching hooks, etc. I use the improved clinch for smaller hooks, and the uniknot is a favorite with me because it has so many different uses, I especially like it for easy snelling, or connecting 2 different size lines. It is easier to use on heavier monofilament than the palomar in some cases.

20. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Palomar all the way. Never lost a fish because of the knot.