Fishing Jetties/L-shaped wing dykes?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Mocathunter, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Mocathunter

Mocathunter New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Missouri
    I call them jetties, or l-shaped wing dykes; they are L-shaped with the cut in the upriver side of them. I have been having fairly good success fishing in about 8-10 feet of water around the scour hole that the current coming over that cut is creating. Catching mostly flatties right now in them. Most of the depths of the scour holes i'm seeing are around 20 feet, pulling some good 15-30 pound fish out by fishing the edges of the hole at night. Just wanted to see if anyone else fished these type of dykes, and if so, how was it working. The current river level has me running the boat in some pretty shallow water, to come up into them. But I'm gonna keep crawling in there as long as I can, or until they quit biting.

2. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Sean,
    I see your from St Joe. I live in Atchison about 20 mins from St Joe. I've fished alot of wing dams in the KC area but recently moved to Atchison. Still learning the area and trying to locate good fishing spots. If you want to hit the river sometime together let me know.

3. Mocathunter

Mocathunter New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Missouri
    sounds good to me. I just moved from atchison to St. Joe about a 1 1/2 ago, lived and fished around atchison for 5 years. There is some good fishing down there. I run alot down south, put in the platte river, and fish the platte and missouri from just south of leavenworth bridge all the way to the 435 bridge. I grew up down that way, so i know the river well. I have just started running this stretch from st. joe to atchison. I live not to far from the softball fields on 59 highway, 15 yards from the city limits. There is a boat ramp on the missouri just south of town, I usually put in there. Been doing some limblines on this stretch to locate the better pole fishin country. I work down towards weston, at Iatan, so getting together sometime shouldn't be a problem. Have you fished anything north of where the Independence creek dumps into the missouri yet??? Those corners to the north have some good fishing. I have pulled some good fish out of the area in front of the independence mouth as well. In the winter you wanna get down south of atchison, and fish around the warm water outflow of the powerplant. I'll be on the river a fair bit in the next few weeks, Catdaddy Shumway and I are fishing the US Cats tourney up here at St. Joe. Just give me a shout if you wanna get after them, I'm always game for some company when chasing the big whiskers.

4. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Sean, that sounds good. I just sent you a lengthily PM.

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I always past them up. I'll have to remember and stop and fish the next one I see. How are you placing your boat behind the L-dike to fish it? Mocat you fish the same waters I do pretty much. Probably seen ya out there.

6. Mocathunter

Mocathunter New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Missouri
    I run my boat downriver of the long part of the dike, then turn and drive up in the narrow chute between the dike and the bank. Usually it is a few boats wide, then I pull up in there to where the water comes over the rocks, where the cut is made by the engineers. There is generally a deep hole 15-25 feet behind where that water comes over the rocks. I fish the water immediately around that hole, where it is 8-10 feet deep; I fish a 3 way on the bowwom with a 3-5 inch bluegill, or a nice shad with tail cut off. Just watch the depth going up in there, it is usually shallow where you run up in the chute, but it is well worth it.

7. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Yeah there shallow alright. I run up them to catch bait and stuff. Just never thought about fishing behind them in the hole that is there. So you face the front of the bow into the cut and fish straight back I guess. I have seen other boats behind the L-dikes but they are always down from the hole with the front of the boat on the bank. Always wanted to hook into a flathead bigger then 5 pounds. Maybe I have a shot now.

8. Mocathunter

Mocathunter New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Missouri
    You got the right idea. Make sure and fish the ones with structure in them, old snags and trees. I'm assuming this is why I've been getting more flathead. Good luck!!

9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I know a couple of those. :) When do you do most your fishing mocat on the weekends or weekdays? I go when ever I can get away.

10. Mocathunter

Mocathunter New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Missouri
    mostly weekends, once in awhile when during the week when they are biting good. KCgeoff and I were suppose to go out after last night, but I caught sicker than a dog yesterday. I'll be back after them soon though.

11. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Hope you feel better man. Think i'm going to go catch some green sunfish and get ready to head to the river. Sorry just thought I would rub it in a little. :)