Fishing it the heat

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by mrwhiskr, Jul 20, 2008.

1. mrwhiskr

mrwhiskr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Am I the only one braving the heat to catch fish? Water levels been going up and down, but fishing has been great.

Yep jugging has been the best, but the heat has run me off the lake early and often. However the fishing has been good. Jugs are about equal mornig runs or evening runs.

I drift some early morning, 6 am till 10.30 then go to the ac. Will drift some evenings, if jugs were good.

Cut shad. for jugs, shad heads and small butterflies for drifting.

Don't quit now I got a 55 blue last tues.

keep them lines wet

2. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    last two times i went out , gar was the big catch of the day but it sounds like the blues must be off the nest where you are

3. Noodler87

Noodler87 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    My two friends and I went fishing last friday night and we caught 13 blues and 5 channel catfish! The biggest was 17 pounds blue catfish!

4. Redneck1

Redneck1 Guest

I really enjoy night fishing, but what I don't enjoy is cleaning fish at 4 a.m. so I don't do it much anymore, unless I just need to get away from the "old lady". Then me and some buddies will go out build a fire drink some beer, whiskey, whatever, just get drunk. Don't really care if we catch fish or not.
    :smile2:

5. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I generally will still go out real early in the morning. I'll get to my fishing spost just as there is enough light in the sky to see good enough to see what I am doing without artificial lighting.

My wife and I went out a couple wkends ago and camped the whole wkend and ran trotlines. We sweated something fierce and I lost 10lbs that wkend. It was entirely too hot for older folks and rough camping. Had to get in the truck a couple times and turn on the ac to cool off because we got too hot and almost got sick.

Everyone be very careful out there. A heat stroke can sneak up on ya before you least expect it. I didn't know I had gotten too hot until I started to get out of the boat and I liked to have passed out.

Drink plenty of water and gatorade. But mostly drink water. Too much gatorade will have an adverse effect on you too.

Good luck fishing

6. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I enjoy my catfishing right now by memory... and wow, what memories they are! I'll be out there in a couple of weeks for a night time vigil. My "honey holes" are just waitin for me.

I don't even care if I get skunked! It's the journey that is memorable. I'll have a blast watching the stars, listening to the whipporwills and owls. It'd be a shame to have to break the mood, get up and reel a fish in :confused2:

7. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Right now is one of my favorite times of year for flathead fishing. They are coming off the postspawn, there beat up, and very hungry. I mainly fish at night right now so to beat the heat. When I keep a flathead this time of year the last thing I want to do is fillet him in the middle of the night also. They just go into the ice chest to be cleaned later when I have the time and desire.

8. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    It's been way too hot for fishing during the daytime around here lately. a couple buddies and I went out nearly all day the other day and got skunked! LOL, I'm done daytime fishing till it cools off.

9. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    Hmmmmm....Mark. I always heard your little saying like this...

Give a man a fish and you give him a meal. Teach a man to fish and he'll buy a silly hat.

10. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    LOL My friends and I must be the exception. we dont wear silly hats. Maybe thats where we got categorized as 'rednecks'! lol fishing in the sun really sucks.

11. Quackshutr

Quackshutr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma, Collinsville
    Tooo hot for me during the days, I'll toss out my jugs at dark and run them at daybreak. I get a decent amount of sleep and can clean the fish before lunch and be done with it.

:)

Q

12. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    Well, we went out yesterday from 7-2, but we only ended up with a bunch of perch, and 3 dinky catfish. Yep, I'm done with the heat fishing too! I'll try again for a late night trip, and hopefully have better success.

13. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i don't know about any of you, but i work all day out in the sun and the heat, and today the heat index was 107, i can't do anything after work but die

14. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I fished Grand this weekend and it was a scorcher. Shad dissapeared but was able to catch alot of perch. The bite was okay at nite but on lines they die pretty fast so ya have to stay on top of them. The spoonbill are jumping around like dolphins on top. The water temp was 87 and it's like bath water. Use lots of sunblock and take plenty to drink. Good luck

15. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    yeah were catching good brim on the docks and around spavinaw and uper eucha, good size perch

16. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    We did better on the smaller perch. 3 or 4 inch stuff

17. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    The heat of the day will trigger some activity now & then........use the sun-screen & the red-neck umberellas........plenty of liquids..........we dont quit in arkansas boy's........although the sun has "effected" johnny's brain a tad bit!!!!:tounge_out::smile2::eek:oooh:

18. roger long

roger long New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    hay big sam i think the heat has fried all our brains. we went out saturday and caught four little blues i am going in the moning and try again just going to tell myself its cold

19. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    we never stop fishing. we fish at night this time of year. didn't fish last weekend but fished the two before that and am going this weekend. we get out there around 6:00p.m. and wonder why we didn't wait till 9:00p.m. but we are like little kids on Christmas morning when it comes to fishing. we agree to meet at the ramp at six and i get antsy and head on out there and usually he is there waiting for me at 5:30 or visa versa. we fish till about 8:00a.m. we clean our fish on the boat whenever it gets slow. take a little nap if i get tired. my buddy works 3rd shift so he has no problem staying up all night. almost always have the river all to ourselves. when i get out there and it gets dark and have the rods set out thats when i tell myself, man life is gooood. :big_smile:

20. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    i hope due to the heat johnny hasn`t taken up teague`s habits, eating the bait, lol:crazy: