Fishing is Deadly!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by flathead willie, Nov 14, 2007.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I saw a report last night which listed fishing as THE most dangerous sport in America. It stated that there are more people killed fishing then in Football, Boxing, and Sky Diving combined! That's pretty amazing. Better be careful out there.

2. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    One of the reasons i'm guessing is..there are probably 1000 times more fishermen than there are football players,boxers and sky divers..:smile2:

3. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Not to mention that probably a 3rd of them are drinking while they fish.

4. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Famous last words from a dead fisherman......"Hey hold my beer and watch this":tounge_out:

5. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    That may be true.... but, I'll keep fishing anyway. After all, who wants to live forever!?!

_

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I'm bettin its boats and booze. Then when they find a fishin rod in the wreckage they toss it in the fishin category. OH WELL!!!

7. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    They also mentioned floating debris tearing boats up. By the way, George, I know they gave you some good meds in the Hospital. Just remember they don't recommend operating heavy machinery with them, (like trains)! It's not a good idea to drink with those medicines. Take the meds first and THEN drink. It tastes better that way. LOL

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Sorry, but I've got to completely disagree with that. First of all, I think that cave exploring is more dangerous, especially if you get into going down into pits on ropes. Second, cave diving is so much more dangerous than regular cave exploring that I was never even tempted to give it a try. Then there's sky diving, whick seems to me kind of like jumping out of a perfectly good airplane with a glass of water in your hand to dive into as you hit the ground. And bungee jumping....words just fail me on this one. :beated:

9. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I best get off this computer then. Its pretty heavy and it won't stay still. LOL!

10. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I figured it would be frying pan to the head when you walk in the door.:smile2:

11. Kat-tamer

Kat-tamer New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That is what I was thinking. How many of those deaths each year are from angry spouses?:smile2:

12. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    lets see, i've sky dived, scuba dived, hanged glided, even jumped off cliffs with parachutes, and never worried about dieing. now i'm worried. i'm gonna die fishing. of all things. my favorite thing to do. kinda ironic doncha think? :baffle:
    gary

13. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I'll bet there are a lot more deaths by automobile accidents, but I sure ain't gonna start walking the 35 miles to work!

For that matter... I ain't walking the 2 miles to the school either! :smile2:

See y'all on the lake!

14. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    You are probably right about the alchohol being the primary cause. But stuff still happens. I have told my family and friends alike, if I die on the water at least you know I was happy doing something I loved. I dont drink but the Missouri and Mississippi rivers both have some real current to make things happen.

15. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    My son is a EMT and told me that most people who die fishing are around my age. They are drown victims. When the body is pulled out of the water the victim pants are unzipped. Fell out of the boat while taking a pee. That has really stuck with me. He tells me "be careful the water is really cold dad"
    Bill

16. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know whenever I go out lately, I've been getting killed every time.

17. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    All BS aside it's getting to that time of year that you need to think safety first. The cold water can kill you so you need to use common sense and be aware of whats going on every minute you are on the water.

18. tigman

tigman New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have always beleived you will live untill your appointed time comes wheter flying, working, driving or fishing. Why not die happy? There is 7 times more water than land!

19. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I reckon I will take my chances. Couldn't imagine not fishing.

20. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    i think it meant more commercial fishing like that alaska crab fishin stuff