Fishing Information Night

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by KC Jayhawk 78, Jan 22, 2009.

1. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
  2. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Got word of this myself, Keith, but I think I'll pass because of the drive to
    K.C. I think it's something that you folks in the general K.C. area ought to
    go to if only for a listen to these biologists thoughts about the lakes they
    look after. Keith, what is the slot that you would like to have considered
    at Osage? I'd like to see the lake continue to be managed for trophy size
    channel cats. Even though I was on the lake on the wrong day last year,
    I had a good feeling about the lake and its potential.

3. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Looks more like they want to show you where all the fish are so you can have the best chance at catching. You might be able to catch the biologist after its over and talk to them one on one though. If you ask them during their presentation they might have to say all the PC things that the state wants them to say.

4. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Mike if you had a good feeling about Osage, you really should check out Woodson. That lake gives you an eerie feeling , like you just saw a ghost. Its so old, you just know there is monsters in there. If I get to go, and I get a chance to speak, Im going to tell them about the tournaments at Osage, and tell them about the times Ive seen guys taking home 10 or more fish, with 4 or 5 of those fish going over 15 lbs. Recently Ive thought about this quite a bit, and besides the 30+ lb. channel caught at one of the tourney's last year ( I believe it was at Milford, Caleb correct me if Im wrong) , Dan's fish was the only other 30+ channel I heard of being caught in Kansas. It doesnt seem like the big Reservoirs give up 25+ channels very often, so its a good bet that one of these SFL's hold the next record, unless someone gets another pig out of the mined land. With what Dan did last year, and what Kyle originally posted in concern to what was printed in the CI about the 38 lb. from Woodson, in my opinion the SFL's should be the first Kansas lakes to implement a slot limit. I would propose a 12-30" slot. I think its safe to say that 30" and over is at least 20 lbs. and we all know how rare a 20 lb. channel is. I watched Shelby yank in 5 channels last summer in one night in the 11-16 lb. range , which was a hell of a night at Olathe Lake, and I personally got a 18,15, and 2- 13's last year at Olathe. I also got a 15,14, and a 13 in one night at Gardner Lake. Now I know Gardner has some bigger than that. The state record was out of Gardner for 30 yrs, at 29 lbs. , until my gf's dad broke it with a 33 lb. out of the lower Kaw. So all that being said, I really think now is the time for these SFL's and a few other choice lakes to be under a watchful eye, and have strict limits for trophy channels, or we might not see another 35+ lb. channel in the state of Kansas again. I watched a infisherman show the other day about about the channel cats up at the Red River in Manitoba Canada, and they have some really strict rules that REALLY pay off. They have the best channel cat fishery in the world, and if we implemented rules like theyve got, then we could have that too. They go with barbless hooks, and a 23.6 inch and over must release limit. Thoughts?

http://www.gov.mb.ca/waterstewardship/fisheries/recreation/08guide.pdf

5. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    If I get a chance to speak, Ill be sure to mention the BOC, and Ill urge them to take a serious look into it, and Ill stamp it in their heads that this is an ongoing problem, and a slot limit with serious consequences for violators would be a huge help to the trophy channel cat population in Kansas. After all , how many people do you think would really try to get off of the SFL property if there was a $250 fine for keeping a 30+" channel ? I know I wouldnt, even 15 yrs ago when I was young , stupid , and didnt give a damn.

6. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Hey Keith I'd love to go with you but I have a cub scout meeting that night.

7. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Its been awhile Eric. You should come hit the trout with me at Wyandotte in Late Feb./ Early Mar.

8. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Keith I'd love to come with you...since my dad is gone it's gonna be pretty wierd going trout fishing this year.Whenever you wanna go out on the river or something gimme ring. I've been perch jerkin' off the docks at Pomona and Melvern. Last time I caught 5 channels from 4-8 lbs at the Melvern Outlet on jigs and minnows..Probably going back this weekend.It's about time to go Gar fishing down at Truman. How is your little one doing? I'll bet life as you know it has changed forever.

9. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Keith if the biologist are people that you think we could influence, be sure to get some contact information and share it with all of us.

10. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Will do Casey. Im just hoping that if I can put some fear into them , being there wont be anymore big channels to study, that maybe they can put a word in for us to the powers that be , and see if that will get something rollin. :cool2:

11. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    How are you going to get credit for a personal best channel that might be a
    state record if you have to return him to the water immediately? How do you
    find a KDWP officer at 2AM? How many roads must a man walk down....?

Yeah, Keith. Can't wait to fish Woodson. Just looks like it's well worth the
    drive to get there. I hope I get there on the right day, y'know? I really
    don't like it when the helpful local guy says "Ya should have been here
    last Tuesday. We were tearing 'em up then, boy!"

12. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Hey I love the new avatar picture, Eric! Didja put down another Pheasant uprising?

13. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Like Ive said before Mike, with the one exception, that you might have a new record. Along with the slot limits, there should be a hotline to a warden, so he can come out with a certified scale, and check it out.

14. heyop_erator

heyop_erator New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I like the way this is looking and I would like to know about the pollution rates and dumping going on in our local waterways here in the K.C. area The fines these big companies are looking like cheap hand slaps to me. I've been seeing sores on the fish around here a lot more and I know things are not getting better. They should be answering some serious questions.

15. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Keith, you're absolutely right about the size of the Catfish in Kansas reservoir's and SFL's getting caught are getting smaller and smaller every year. The biggest problem, in my opinion, there just aren't enough folks who are conservation minded. Milford is a PRIME example, I don't care what the biologist's say.
    I'm speaking from personal experience, I can show, in black and white(my fishing,catch & tag and release/log, the decline in the size of fish I've caught in the last 20 years, the last 5 years have shown the biggest in decline of big Catfish.
    The attitude of a certain group, some of which I'm unfortunate enough to know personally feel that this lake is just to big to be fished out, well, they're finally finding out they were wrong, much to the detriment of sports fisherman.
    Their attitude, always has been, is, and always will be, "if I don't keep them, someone else will", and if I can keep more than the limit and get away with it, that's fine too. If there a no restriction put on the size of Catfish that can be taken from Milford Lake, eventually you'll be able to catch eater size Catfish here. The five Blue's limit will help population wise, but not size at all.:sad2:

16. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Ya I looked at it closer and I'm not even in that picture I'm taking the picture...

17. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Jim , its a sad thing. We dont have the huge reservoirs like other states, but our waters do grow some huge catfish. If something isnt done quickly, we'll have to start fishing for Wipers. All your data sure would come in handy at that meeting. I wish you could make it.

18. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    I e-mailed the kdwp and asked them how we would go about getting a rule changed or added. They actually responded! Here is their response.

I'd suggest you contact the chairman of the Kansas Wildlife & Parks
    Commission (Kelly Johnston) via telephone (316/685-5160) or email
    (shockerJD@Johnstonlawoffices.com). If the rule change you propose is a
    state regulation, the Kansas Wildlife and Parks Commission may consider
    action on your proposal. If the rule change you propose is addressed in
    state statutes, any change would need to be approved by the Kansas
    Legislature, so your best contact in that case would be your state senator
    or state representative.

Thanks for your inquiry. Please let me know if I can provide more
    information.

Bob Mathews
    Chief of Information & Education
    Kansas Department of Wildlife & Parks

So would the slot limit proposel be a state regulation or would it be in state statues?

19. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Casey, we would have to send them a petition to see if they'd vote on it to see if they thought it was significant enough to waste their time to consider it, and THEN vote on it, and then they'd decide it wasn't worth their time to vote on it.:roll_eyes:, if they even took the time to consider if they should vote.:roll_eyes::smile2:
    ACTUALLY, all they're considering now, is how they're going to weasel more money out of us to comply with "HER" budget proposals, without making it look like they're screwing it into us again, then they can vote themselves another payraise, IF, they can camoflage it good enough. They'll probably call JJ for advice on that.:roll_eyes::smile2: AMEN

20. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    With all the fines theyd be handing out with a new rule like this, they would vastly increase their revenue. :smile2: