Fishing in winter

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Manny, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    How many people plan and do fish during the winter months ?

I understand that when the water temp drops so does the feeding, so when fishing winter months. What body of water seems to produce better ?

Missouri, Mississippi, Lakes, smaller rivers that lead to major ones ?

I have not fished the winter months yet and would like a heads up.

Thanks, Manny

2. TheMick

TheMick New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Nice post Manny. I have been wondering about the exact same things recently. I plan on fishing all winter long and need as much help as possible. Cant wait to hear everyones answers on this one.

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Deep holes and smaller bait. If you drift, slow it way down. I prefer still fishin. I usually fish lakes in the winter and fish deep bends in the old river channel. In a river I would fish deep scour holes.
    Make sure you are prepared for a worst case scenario. Things can go from bad to worse fast in cold weather. Dress right and think seriously about a life jacket if in a boat. Use good judgement and let someone know where you should be at.
    Buy a propane heater.:smile2: Thats what I do.

4. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    Winter fishing can be awsome you just have to find them stacked up.Deep holes behind wing dams are the place of choice with slower current.Every hole won't have fish you have to find the right hole where they are stacked up and when you do you can load the boat.Just be paitent the bite will be slower than normal but you will catch them.I will be out there for sure until the ice chuncks start coming down river.Good luck!!

5. Hurricane

Hurricane New Member

State:
    Arnold, Missouri
    I plan on fishing through the winter, I've heard that it's good time to hook into a big one. I would think river fishing would be a little more productive than lake fishing because of the current and more fluctuating depths would keep the water from freezing when it gets real cold.

6. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    Great question Manny! I too plan on fishing this winter. Thanks for the info guys!

7. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    I plan to fish all winter,this year.I'll be on the Mississippi.

8. Hurricane

Hurricane New Member

State:
    Arnold, Missouri
    Do you know if the Flamm City or Arnold park boat ramp is accessable in the winter? I know Flamm was getting pretty low when I went by there on Tuesday. Do you drop in at Flamm and run down to the Mississippi or are you putting in somewhere on the Miss?

9. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    Not quite sure yet.This will be my first time fishing all year round.I'll probably put in on the Mississippi.Flamm tends to stay low.