Fishing in the winter season

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by truckin4x4, Aug 2, 2006.

1. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    i was just wondering if anyone fishes in the winter months? i never have but i am think of doing so this year. and if you do let me know if you do any good. thank guys

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Good luck Rob, I dont do cold. LMAO

3. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I have killed them in the winter months down here. But, I am from Louisiana, and we really don't have what you would call a winter. It can be 32* one day and 70* then next. Depends on how much cold air you fellows from up north let us have. :big_smile:

4. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Rob,

I fish for blues during the cold weather. I catch fewer in numbers but I catch my biggest blues by far in temp under 40 degrees. The thermocline dissapates (the temp and oxygen are evenly dispersed in lakes), for the most part, so I locate the blues at all depths, thus they are harder to locate. This translates into slower bites. I catch an occasional large channel but I never target them. The blues are way too much fun.
    Also, the blues do not fight as hard when the water temp gets below 50 degrees. At least this is my experience.

5. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    well i just thought that sence the fish seem to move to the middle of the lake and go deep when its hot they would move around in the cold. i geuss i'll see if i try it.

6. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I have caught alot of cats in the winter most of them on cut bait or minnows wired on:big_smile:

7. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i will fish for channels in the winter occasionally here in Ohio, they will bite but they are much much slower. this past winter the water in the river averaged around 40 degrees the whole winter but once the water temps got below 35 degrees they get really tough.

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    The best Blue fishing is in the winter time by far. The only thing is you will have to dress like your going deer hunting but you will catch more fish and bigger fish in the winter.

9. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    They follow the oxygen and spawning/food patterns in the summer...not the temp. As the water warms first around the shallow edges, baitfish move up in there. The cats just follow them. The cold winter water is evenly distributed with oxygen, but most of the bait fish go to the deeper water in cold weather months. I catch most of mine in deep water during the winter months.

10. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I had trouble getting many Blue's off the bank, but this year I got a boat and am looking foward to finding them. I know they do bite good in the winter if you just find them and have your stuff right.

Hey dcaruthers, do you catch them more at night or day in the winter?

Zakk

11. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I fish the Ohio All winter long...The blue cat bite is pretty good..I actually caught my PB blue in december..It was about 32 degreesd outside...I think winter time is one of the best times

12. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I fish until the water freezes over, love winter and winter fishing.

13. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I take advantage of the slightly warmer temps and the light during the day. I hardly ever fish at night during the winter so I can't say if they bite better. Because of the slow bite (the fish are more dispersed accross the water) take extra rods and cover more area each time you anchor. Also, give each location twice the time you would in the summer. I fish each spot thoroughly (8-10 rods circling the boat) for about 1 1/2 hours before moving. Good luck.

14. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I really enjoy "winter" fishing. Less traffic 0n the water and I to catch bigger fish though at times lower numbers. I like to fish during the daytime and the colder weather seems to get the bigger fish more active and at times a little harder to find. But when you do figure out their patter for your water hold on to your rod are else like a magic trick poof its gone.

15. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    That's exactly how I did from the bank last year, thanks for the info. How do you get bait though, and what type is it? I can never get good bait in the Winter.

16. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Have caught them will fishing for gills under the ice. Actually have had some real good days catching channels on wax worms. Fairly easy to catch in small bodies of water esp. farm ponds. Always have a small gaff to lift out of hole.

17. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Cut bait is a problem in the winter. I usually trap in ponds or by the largest minnows I can find. You can shad year around at some dams but it is much more work in the winter. It rarely gets below 20 degrees down here. I am definately vaccum sealing up enough shad and bream to store for when I can't find any fresh. we have a few lakes on the base here that make netting shad very easy. I plan a storage trip sometime next week to fill my freezer.

18. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Ok, same here. I usually find a way to get Bream in the winter. Shad are just too deep usually. I also vacuum pack bait though, haven't had success with it so far though.

Thanks for the info.

19. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I don't know why, but frozen shad works better for me in the winter than the summer. I think it may have something to do with availability.

20. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah, I did get a couple of taps on it in the winter, but in the summer it really sucked. The water is too hot for it, I think.