fishing in the winter just aint the same

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Dec 5, 2008.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Roger and myself went out to the scioto last saturday , we put 3 channel cats on the bank..It was kinda fun catching catfish this late in the year.

However, the excitment of maybe hooking a big flathead was certainly not there, since our chances were pretty slim with the cold water temps..

No blue cats in my river, so it's just pretty much channel cats this time of year.

It's only december and I cant wait till may and prespawn flatheads.

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Dont blame you man, if I didn't have any blues to chase I would be one depressed dude..I cant believe how late it is in the year already, spring will be here before you know it..:wink:

3. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.

Yea right ,spring be here before you know it.I only wish you would be right in that perdiction.

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Gotta be optimisitic!:big_smile_2:

5. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    I hear ya. Sometimes it is hard to beat those hot nights flatheadin'. Although, down here, I really look forward to winter for the Blues and relief from the long hot summers.

6. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hopefully Spring will get here before 4th of July.....:eek:oooh:
    It seems like its later and later for each of the last several years, it just kills me...
    Salmonid

7. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    You would think with all that global warming talk it would be the opposite.

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This is the first year around here in a LONG time that I can say there were ponds with ice over them before Thanksgiving!! I have caught flats clear up to Christmas before in wintering spots... I haven't been on the river in a while now. And I can see us having a hard winter here soon.. Maybe not with the cold cold temps, but with the snow. Im gonna try to get on the river next week. The boat needs ran, and I wanna see if there are any jig fish to be caught!:wink: rollo

9. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    Well Jack you could go to the lakes and catch some channels with me. Beats counting sinkers and swivels.

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Willie, channels don't give ya that satisfying after wrestling big flatheads all year.... He would be better off going to the James, Ohio..etc.. to fight a big blue! Even then, it ain't the same!!! IMO!! lol rollo

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jason, I dont ever remember seeing ice on ponds before thanksgiving, this is really depressing...But my hope is we have winter in winter, and not have a cold spring.

12. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i'm with ya on that jack, i went thru all my tackle 3 or 4 times now and oiled all my reels, gettin sick of just lookin at it, this would be a good time ta start makin some sinkers :wink: winter sux

13. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    man i gota tell ya i love flat fishin alot but if thats all i fished for it would be a lonely world...i consider myself a multi specie angler...i fish for them all..:wink: fishing is to dam fun to stop at 1 ...go fish.:wink::smile2:

14. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

It's gonna be another tough 5 months, Jack. I try to keep myself busy fishing for smaller game and a few ocean trips, but like you, I can't wait until the water gets above 50 degrees in the river. Hang in there buddy, there is plenty of others jonesing for a flathead bite.