Fishing in the WIND

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by CATFISHPAT, Nov 14, 2006.

1. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey Yall,How do you like fishing in the wind???My Brother mike and I are going today.We are fishing a point at No-name creek Lake Eufaula ok.

2. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    i dont like it this time of year here in mo but when i do fish windy days i like to fish the windy bank

3. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    i HATE fishing in the wind lol. it drives me nuts. especially when its a cold wind blowing off the lake. but if i need to fish bad ill fish in it.

4. tomnt369

tomnt369 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I fish mostly on rivers so I can usually stay out of the wind. I don't like the lakes when the wind is blowing.

5. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    The wind is a very helpful tool at times when lake fishing. It will blow shad up on a bank and really make thing great. Some of the best catches I've have were on wind blown banks. I was bass fishing a bank one day and caught 13 blues from 2 to 5 lbs on a crank bait. I go up to Lake Livingston every spring in March and jug fish the wind blown banks. We catch lots of fish on whole and cut shad this time of year. I have not seen this work in a river though. The current seams to control the place where the bait and fish are. At least thats what I have found where I fish.

6. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    Windy days are good fishing days. Fish the windy side of banks and points. Try to use the wind and knot fight it.

7. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Holy cow are you NUTS????

LOL

Most of these guys think of windy days being 20 mph, not the 45-50 mph wind that we are having today.

8. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If you are fishing from the bank/shore go to the windward side - that's where the fish will be. If you are planning to fish from a boat, don't - unless you have a very large vessel.

On the bank just be sure to rig up for wind by using a heavier strike indicator on you line, or keep your rod either level or put the rod tip right in the water - that will keep the wind from affecting your line so much. Generally, my rule of thumb is - the more wind there is, the lower I keep my rod tip.

9. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    wow wind speed over 25mph dont go in a boat stay on the bank.

10. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My youngest daughter begged me to go fishing this past march and I thought the wind was gonna turn us into ice cubes. So like I said it depends to me on the temps!:smile2:

11. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    ouch,if you go by the 25 mph wind speed rule here in the flat land you better not own a boat,thats just enough to keep the skeeters at bay!:lol:

12. mch4fishing

mch4fishing New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Way to gusty today Down Here Bummer:sad2:

13. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    This is excellent advice from Howard. If you are fishing from shore it doesn't matter how hard the wind blows, in fact the harder the better in some instances. Fish into the wind especially if it has been in the same direction for a day or two and you dont have to cast out very far. If the waves have stirred up a mud line fish in it or just on the far side of it. That is where fish coming in from the lake will find your bait first.
    Boat fishing in the wind is a different proposition all together. Big winds on lakes make for big waves and on rivers, upstream winds that are blowing faster than the current can be a real P.I.T.A.
    ...W

14. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    all of Oklahoma is in a "High Wind Advisory" today meaning wind anywhere from 40 on up, Eufalla happens to be in the 50+ area

15. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Then get on that windward shore and catch those fish...W

16. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey Yall,Thank for all the feedback,We fished the wind in our face and tore em up.we brot home about 25lbs of meat.All blues from 4lbs to 9lbs...Wind is the hardest thing to fish in but if you know your lake then the wind is just a tool,And we used it..BUT IT WILL KICK YOUR BUTT!!!!!!!! Hey Tony alot of our out of state Brother's don't understand Oklahoma Winddeg...

17. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Shoot youall 25 thats just a mild breeze here in NM wait till it gets up around 60+ but if i fish on windy days its with the wind in my face and off the bank

18. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    It sucks but I have to say if I am planning on going fishing its not gonna stop me I just bring another anchor for the back of the boat.

19. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I have had good trips on windy days eventhough I do not look for it as a fishing condition I prefer. Being at the right place at the right time helps. Especially if baitfish are actively being moved up bank, fishing close to the shoreline can bring about some good catches of cats.

If theres moderate wind you can have success drifting for cats using a slip bobber. You can cover a lot of water this way and I sometimes do that fishing for crappie. My best crappie trips have been in moderate wind.