Fishing in the rain what do you do

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by superman, Sep 23, 2006.

1. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    i just got off the phone with a buddy of mine and i was telling him about my fishing trip last night on the mississippi river i went out in mid afternoon ran about two or three miles up river and started fishing as i was half asleep with the radio on i heard thunder and the rain started about five or ten mins. later i grabbed a tarp that i always keep in my boat covered up and road out on heck of a storm so i my question is what do you all do ride it out head back to the ramp drive to cover or what and i only caught three gar and a cold

2. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Awww, We jus "ride'r out but if the rain gets too hard wejust bannk fish! LOL. Those poncho's you can get a walmart really help in a pinch too! LOL
    I think the rain helps the bite as far as I'm concerned! Have fun!

3. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    I Always Have Rain Suits Stored For Just In Case.lol

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
  5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    In the summer I wear swim trunks...lol Works great actually.

In the colder months, I have a special rain suit that my dads friend gets for us, he works at the shipyard. We are getting a pontoon boat one day though and we are going to have a good top on it for the rain.

6. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    For me if it's a lite rain no big deal if it's coming down in buckets and thunderin I'm not real crazy about bein close to water.Just my opinion.--------pk powell:smile2:

7. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I fish from the shore so I am sure that things are a bit different priority-wise. However, I try to ride out the rare storm we get out in lower Az. The fish either turn on really good after rain or completely off the bite.

8. rocket256

rocket256 Well-Known Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Name:
    McGill
    I had some of my best luck when fishing in the rain. I bank fish when it is really poring down. But for the most part I just wear a poncho, shorts and a T-shirt.

9. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    What else is there to do?

FISH ON! :006: :go:

10. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Always carry a rain coat with mebehind seat of truck,if fishing off the bank.If i'm in a boat i carry 2 ponchos in my tackle box .one for me and one for who ever owns the boat (in case they don't have one)

11. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    if its a lite rain i fish it out , if its a storm coming down river no lightning i don the rain gear and fish it out , if its a storm coming up river i do the same , unless this storm has lightning and wind , when the wind blows up river above 15 mile per hour theres a wake thats quite unsafe , i try to avoid that as much as possible lightning can be dangerous they say , but the wind is down right terrorfying for me . if youve ever been on the water in high winds im sure you understand .

12. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    Well, if I am fishin by myself, and the fish aren't biting when the rain starts I usually leave. If I have some company and the fish are biting I will stay. There are times when I ride it out, unless it looks like a bad storm, which here in florida we get often.

13. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I do my best to stay dry, LOL!!!

14. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Not when you're out with me....lol!

15. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    When I ordered this boat I went ahead and got it with the cabin which makes the rain no dig deal, I go fishing on the rainy days that I would used to stay home on.

16. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I just keep fishing. If lightning hits me I'll never know it anyway.

17. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    When I was a much younger fellow before children and nieces and nephews and such I would have stayed till hell froze over but since my bud got struck by lightining while we were fighting a prarie fire if I hear thunder absolutely get my a$$ in the house ,I think the ole self preservation mode has done kicked in

18. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    We've always just rode it out, unless theres thunder and lightning. No big deal really. The only thing that made me drop fishing and run for cover was a gator that wanted a closer look. I was out on a log and assumed it too was a log...till that 'log' kept getting closer. When it realized I was hauling it was coming in faster. That gator tormented us all night:lol: or visa versa.

Dang, wasnt this about rain...:lol:

19. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I think the gator would have got a new fishin spot ....unless I had my trusty 12ga loaded with a couple o #00 buck dont ya know

20. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    I fish in the rain with a Poncho if it isn't lightning. I did today as a matter of fact. If it is lightning then I head for the ramp if I'm close or to the bank if I'm not. Won't stay in the boat when it's lightning.If it's a gulley washer then I have a tarp that I put over me until it slacks off.