Fishing in the Rain? does it help the bite??

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by tkbiker, Aug 15, 2003.

1. tkbiker

tkbiker New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Im going fishing tonight and the weather is saying rain all night:sad2:!

I was wondering what is your experience with fishing in the rain? Does it help the bite or take away from it? Im going regardless but wanted to hear some of the opinions of the great people here @ the BOC!

Thanks in advance for your responses:big_smile:!

2. R. D. Hilton

R. D. Hilton Active Member

State:
    tx
    I know they seem to bite good right before a front. FlatHead to me seem to get the bite on during a heavy thunder storm.The channel cat seem to go wild when it rains enough to make the feeder creeks going into a lake start to put some fresh water into the lake. Is it worth it to be fishing in a storm? I have gone out when I thought the storm was over only to find myself in a boat up a creek in Hale and lighting.

surfcat likes this.

3. fox9988

fox9988 Member

State:
    Lincoln,NW Arkansas
    Name:
    Forrest
    More than once, I've had distant (30 miles?) thunder turn a good blue cat bite off. Like a switch.

R. D. Hilton likes this.
  4. BillSki

BillSki Active Member

Name:
    John
    I love fishing right before and during the begining of a rainstorm. Always had good luck with almost any species I'm fishing for in those conditions. Midway through or just after a storm depends how dirty the water gets or whether or not the rain was part of a front. Post fronts have always been horrible fishing for me. Thunderstorms are a no go for me. Even if the storm is in the distance, if i can hear thunder or see lightening I pack it in. At least half a dozen people die each year in this state surf fishing and waiting too long to take cover. I know an open beach is more dangerous than say a river, but still not worth it to me.

MObigfoot, snakedog, surfcat and 2 others like this.
  5. surfcat

surfcat Well-Known Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Name:
    Nick
    I love fishing in the rain, typically there is no one else out fishing to have to deal with.

Whether the bite is better or not is not a concern at that point because the benefit of no googans to deal with is all I need to know.

6. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    Usually just before a storm the bite picks up..Never really done a lot during a rain storm and depending on the severity of the storm, afterward it can be really great fishing areas where feeders come in, but a really heavy rain and they shut down.

7. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    Usually just before a storm the bite picks up..Never really done a lot during a rain storm and depending on the severity of the storm, afterward it can be really great fishing areas where feeders come in, but a really heavy rain and they shut down.