Fishing in the current

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by master_cat, May 16, 2006.

1. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i was fishin in the current at our steam plant had lots of hits id yank and miss yank and miss i was starting to get mad i mean they would nail it still nothing i was using 25 pound suffix elite 4 ounce sinker bead swivel leader hook i was wonderin if the mono was streaching to much and makeing me miss fish i was wonderin if braid would work better in this situation

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    What would work better in that situation is patience and a circle hook. Let them peck at it all they want - when one finally takes it, the pole bends over and the circle hook will do its job.

Quit yanking. Be patient.

3. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    A lot of times in current the hit looks like a slam, but it's really just the fish pecking at it, when they mouth that bait and let the current take them, it can make the smallest hit look like Jaws just picked it up. Be patient and wait for a tug that's more then about 8-10 seconds long.

4. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    if fish are pecking the bait, a circle hook is probably not your best option. sounds like you may have gotten into some gar.

5. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    What size hook are you using, Try a 8/0 circle hook. Make sure the bait size is matched to the hook size and that the hook is exposed. Do not set the hook when using circles, rather just start reeling in.

6. reel pleasure

reel pleasure New Member

State:
    New jersey
    I'd go with patience.
    I fish strong current pretty regularly and been dealing with them pecks all month.Been everrything from small channels,eels,and small stripers peckin away at the bait.
    Been a few 24 plus inch channels doing it also that i managed to haul in.
    I know your pain,its very frustrating watching that rod tip dance around and nothing there when ya pick up the rod....LOL

I found after ya notice a fish peckin at the bait,i hold the rod and wait a minute or 2 for em to start again,slowly reel in or lift the rod tip up(actually i do both simulataneously) and it should help to catch whatever it is nibblin at ya.

I'd be out there some days and have 3 rods bouncin all over and i'm like an idiot pickin up one after the other and nothing but a limp line and a gnawed piece of herring.I'd bet its a small fish more than likely but with patience and persistance you can catch em.

7. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    If your steam plant is like mine, about all that is there now is gar. Our local steam plant has been reduced to a gar hole in the last few weeks. I would suggest that you move to a different location and try finding some cats. Vern

8. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    that would be my suggestion but remember to have your pole stand more up right when using a circle hook

9. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'd hafta go along with Cattoo and Vernon on this'n. Cat's ain't needin the warm water and niether are the baitfish. Things are spread out better now.
    Try the circles tho if ya got any doubts.