Fishing in Southwest Mo...

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by jms43, Dec 30, 2007.

1. jms43

jms43 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hi guys, My name is Jon and I'm brand new to this forum. I can't believe that it took me this long to find this site. I was just wondering if anybody had any tips for fishing for cat's during the winter. I've never really been during the colder months but recently I've been jonesing to get out on the river so I figured I'd give it a shot. Anyways, I've been reading over some of the posts on here and it seems that there are some pretty knowledgeable guys on here so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jon

2. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Hi Jon, can't help you out with the fishing in MO... as I'm in southern California.... Hang in there and some local cat men will give you some spots to try out....

Again, welcome to the BOC.....Bayrunner Ray

3. jms43

jms43 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks, I'm looking forward to spending a lot of sleepless nights on here digging for information. Hope you have a wonderful new year Ray.

4. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Well first of all, welcome to the board Jon. Now about winter fishing. I fish the Missouri and the Mississippi. I have found that winter fishing can be very rewarding. I like fresh bait. Shad, carp, sucker, buffalo anything I can get in the net. Then its a matter of moving around trying different types of situations untill you find them. It can be difficult but when you do find them you can have a ball. You can go to the library to dig up a lot of old posts on this subject. Or you can wait and someone will post results from a trip. I guarantee you if you hang around you will find some answers.

5. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Jon,

Welcome to the BOC. I RETIRED LAST YEAR AND started fishing again , I useally fish the Missouri , Osage , and the Kaskasakia in So. Il.. There is a lot of water to fish in South West Missouri. SEND mE A pm IF i CAN BE OF ANY HELP. Paul

6. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Jon. It's good to see so many new Missouri members joining. This place is a gold mine of information and Im sure you will enjoy it as much as we do.
    During the winter time when the water gets below 45 degrees or so the blues will stack up at times. One reason they do this is because the shad go deep. We use the electronics to find them (both), usally in the deeper holes.
    On warmer sunny days the shad may be scattered and in sun warmed coves, flats, rock bluffs ect. and the fish will follow.
    Hunt the shad and then look for the fish. Rely on your electronics until you find them. Good luck out there!

7. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Welcome to the BOC Jon.. Once you get hooked you are going to spend alot of sleepless nights on here.. It's habit forming.. At the same time you will make alot of new friends and meet some future fishing buddies..

8. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC.

9. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Welcome to the BOC Jon! Now start postin', you only need 10 until you can see links and pics and even post your own. This is a great site!

Check out the library for a ton of useful tips!

10. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Welcome Jon, i also live in the southwestern part of missouri. I'm bout 45 minutes south of Joplin. Are you from Southwest City next to Okla? If so I fish out of grove okla. quite a bit.

11. jms43

jms43 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the info. Actually I am pretty close, My wife and I live in Bolivar. I'd love to fish up at Truman some time. I've only every been up there once and it wasn't a very successful trip. Anyways, if you ever need or want a fishing buddy send me a message.

12. Chris Cordia

Chris Cordia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have went snagging near Osceola and had a great time last year. I took my father out and caught his two while I caught none, what a great time. Now he is hooked on snagging. Anyway, The reason I am replying is to ask what makes Osceola better for winter fishing than any of the main lakes?