Fishing in rocks

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by AJ36, Aug 4, 2007.

1. AJ36

AJ36 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I've been fishing flatheads since I was about 16 I'm 36 now.My grandfather is the one who originaly got me into it.I have done alot of reading through the years to find the best ways to fish flats and also come up with some things on my own.

BUT I have yet to figure a way to fish the rocks they lay around these locks and dams.I fish with an Ambassadeur 6500 Black Max spooled with 50 lb berkley gorilla braid and 8' ugly stik catfish rod.

Normaly I tie a barrel swivel to my main line then a leader of the braid off the same eye for my hook and then off the other eye I tie a 10lb test mono with my weight.This works ok but you miss alot of fish with the weight stuck in the rocks because it doesn't always break off as easily as other times.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks or anything that would make this more productive?There's alot of fish in these rocky areas so it's worth fishing.Last night we got bites like crazy but couldn't get a hook in anything.

I'd appreaciate any help at all anyone could give me with this.Thanks a GL to everyone.

2. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    How deep is it? Could a slip bobber work? One of those cat bobbers from our wonderful sponsor could hold about any bait you use.

3. r_p_narramore

r_p_narramore New Member

State:
    East KY
    I run my line through the eye of one barrel swivel then tie my leader and hook to another swivel. I then tie a length of light line and sinker to the swivel that is sliding on the main line. It is a kind of modified 3-way rig. You will lose a lot of gear in these areas no matter what.

4. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I would experimentt with a slip float and keep getting deeper till the bait is just above the rocks or right of the bottom. you can have good success with a float and not lose as much tackle but it may take some time to find the right depth.

5. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    You are right on target her bud...Glad you posted...Thanks for sharing...My thoughts also...:cool2:

6. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    the way I find how deep to fish when not in a boat is I have a rod rigged with a 12 inch float that has no weight on the bottom so when it is in the water it lays flat. I have a 3 oz sinker tied to the line so that if the sinker is off the bottom the float will stand up if on the bottom it will lay down. just keep moving the slip not up or down till you know how deep the water is. after a few min of checking depths I know how deep to put baits where any holes or creeks may be or so on. I put a slip not above and below the float just above the sinker so if I get hung on something and break the sinker off the float wont go past the slip not gets old losing floats after a few.

7. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    It is a Fish Finder Rig and I use it too. When the sinker is stuck, the hook is still free and the fish can run with it. Always cast downstream, not upcurrent because it'll wrap around a rock and end up downstream anyways. I've had good luck this year with an 11' pole stuck in the rocks (vertical) and a tight line to keep the bait up or they'll find a comfortable spot in those same rocks again. "Good luck" means I get my rig back most of the time in impossible spots.

8. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Great tip thanks...

9. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC!!! This thread is a flashback for me because this is the same question I asked in my very first post. There are several ways to approach this issue. I have not yet found the perfect answer, and to me, fishing on the rocks is alway frustrating, and especially when current is envolved. Good luck, and keep posting!!!

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Using the slider rig so the fish doesn't feel the sinker is generally a good idea; using a sinker sacrificer will allow you to attach the sinker with even lighter line than 10# test. You can do a search on the board for Tiny's Sinker Sacrificer, or another one is to tie a regular heavy 'J' hook on your line, cut the tip of the hook off right where it starts into the 'J'; go ahead and attach your sinker with your light line, but also attach some very heavy mono to the sinker, then make a loop about 4" out from the sinker. The heavy mono should help keep the loop open because of its stiffness. When you get ready to cast, hang the sinker on the modified 'J' hood by the heavy mono. When it hits the water, the loop will come off the hook, leaving the sinker attached by the light line.

11. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    Slip bobbers is the way to go when your arre over rocks

12. gerbjello

gerbjello New Member

State:
    york, pa
    thanks i will give that a try my next night out:after_boom:

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you're fishing from a boat, floating 3 or 4 jugs across the rocks can not only pinpoint where the fish are biting, but if you have hooks every 3' or so from near the bottom to near the surface, you can quickly find out what depth to fish. Once you make a pass or two with the jugs and get your information, you can either continue to jugfish, or switch to rod & reel, knowing where and how deep to fish.

14. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

perhaps a ballon rig. simar to the bobber yet allitle different as the balloon will drift more. can be a good thing. as covering territory = more fish. if it gets snagged i often just let it sit as long as possible as often it will suddenly unsnag itself with a fish pulling it out!

if the water is deep close to shore: we just place a 3way with a sacrifical light line to the weight. the middle main line is heavier.you effectualy are fishing at arms length. a tad easier to manage in a rocky area.

use circle hooks. they snag less often than traditional hooks.

15. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

ahhh one last thought to share.

with a floating rig, a bigger bait will often pull itself free from the occasional snagg given enough time. if the current is heavy use thiner braided line as that will reduce the current weight.

put a realy big bait on, and watch it get snagged, then get free, then get snagged, then get free, then get......finaly chomped! ahhh now that is excitment.. and flathead fishing at its best!!

16. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Katbobber with bait about 2-3 foot off the bottom :big_smile:

17. AJ36

AJ36 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks for all the tips guys.I use the swivel with a 10 lb leader for the weight alot but lose fish often because it doesn't break fast enough when i try to set the hook.The current is too strong most of the time to try any kind of bobber it's be down river before a fish knew it was there. but I'm going to try some of these other ideas tonight probably.I'll get back and let ya know how it went.Thanks again and GL to everyone!

18. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Sounds like a situation tailor-made for a katbobber to me.

Go down to the sponsor section & check out Wild Wolf Products. Gene makes a bobber that will work perfectly for what you're trying to do.

19. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    balloons will work also as mentioned above, I use to float balloons with live herring and no wieght in wind blown coves for stripers. you could get really close to the bank that the bait was blown against without having to pull a boat in there and spooking the fish.

20. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

yes, and a long rod would help also. positioning yourself strategicaly upriver from your (or up wind) target area will help. by long rod i dont mean a 20ft crappie rod, although that might also work. the european carp rods are perfect. the better ones are designed to cast baits in the 1lb+ range(perfect for a large sucker bait etc). and can handle heavy line, and heavy fights. but most run atad on the lighter side compared to the heaviest rods available to flatheadist.