fishing in rip rap

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by DAREWOOD11, Jul 19, 2009.

1. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    i was wondering about what size of leader to use when fishing rocks cuz sometimes i worry cuz i use about a 10 inch leader and i worry that my sinker is dragging my bait down into holes in the rocks and that my baits not even actually out where it can attract a fish. what are some thoughts on this please...i wonder if anyone else thinks the same thing.

thanks

2. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I use 2.5-3 ft of 15-20lb mono on my dropper. And a 8 inch hook leader of 60 lb mono.

3. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Fishing in rip-rap is a perfect situation for using a float, especially with frisky livebaits that will hide any place that they can. I use thill big fish sliders and rig them as a normal slip float. A "float-paternoster rig" is also a great way to present baits. The idea is to rig your float like you normally would with a stop knot and a bead, but tie a barrel swivel to your line and on the bottom rung, tie your sinker with a lighter break strength line adjusting the length to how far up the water column you want your baits. ON the upper rung of the swivel(the rung closest to the float) you tie your leader with your livebait. You then adjust your bobber stop to the depth of the water you are fishing. The bait will struggle against the float instead of the weight, hence preventing it from getting hung in the rocks. The lighter line on the weight end of the line allows it to sacrifice itself in case it hangs in the rocks. This rig works very well in shallow water, but I have used it in 10 feet of water and had no problem. GOOD LUCK BUDDY and I hope this helps you out!:wink:

4. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I like to keep my leader short,4-6 inches.I,m not worried about my sinker getting down in the rocks,I,m more worried about my bait swimming down into the spaces in the rocks.:wink:

5. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i think the same thing, i like to move my bait around every 15 mins. just ta make sure its not hiding behind some rocks

6. CatFighter

CatFighter New Member

State:
    Morgantown, WV

Excellent! I've been putting my float on the hook leader, not the weight leader. I gotta try this out.

Do you think it matters what float you use? I have sliding bobbers, but they're not clear like this one . . . . you think they would work?

7. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    I think any slip float would work as long as it is big enough to hold the bait up. The rig mentioned is just like a 3-way rig only with a slip float. GOOD LUCK and welcome to the B.O.C.:0a25:

8. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yea id say use a float but i never have, rip rap usaly produces smaller ones,than log jams, so i dont realy hit riprap, but ill tell you wen i do

9. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    thanks to everyone fore there opinions. im talking about fishing around bridges in lakes and at dams

10. CatFighter

CatFighter New Member

State:
    Morgantown, WV
    I need to find more of these log jams. . . .